Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New book: Welcome to My Nightmare

Post by Si » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Gunner wrote:Thanks Si.

They are unforgivable errors. It's almost laughable. Si, did you learn anything from this book? Or are you not sure? ha ha!
Impossible to know unfortunatly.
Lets put it this way, I won`t be going through the book again to add stuff to the site/timelines haha

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:32 pm

but you may expect this person to pick up on maybe one or two of those.
I'm quoting myself there, but just wanted to add: Maybe the copy-editor did spot a few, maybe the list of errors was much larger!? ::((: :x :nono: :smack:

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Lets put it this way, I won`t be going through the book again to add stuff to the site/timelines haha
Point taken. :)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 pm

>Lets put it this way, I won`t be going through the book again to add stuff to the site/timelines haha

Actually, it is almost certain that he has taken information from this site (and not given any credit for it).

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Lets put it this way, I won`t be going through the book again to add stuff to the site/timelines haha

Actually, it is almost certain that he has taken information from this site (and not given any credit for it).
Honestly? If he had been on this site researching you would have thought he wouldn`t have got some such basic things wrong...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Si wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>Lets put it this way, I won`t be going through the book again to add stuff to the site/timelines haha

Honestly? If he had been on this site researching you would have thought he wouldn`t have got some such basic things wrong...
I agree, if he had been on this site, then even MORE shame on him!!! Not that this is a shameful place to be you understand. :laugh:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:26 pm

>Honestly?

Yes.

>If he had been on this site researching you would have thought he wouldn`t have got some such basic things wrong...

I was referring to the more obscure concert information he gives which only exists in one place and that's this site (or maybe another site that got the information from here) but either way, he doesn't cite any sources for that information. There is no indication if the information came from ticket stubs, concert posters, or any other documentation.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm starting to think it is a p1ss take. I mean, Google 'Alice Cooper son' and see what you get. You get 'Dashiel Cooper' in BIG BOLD LETTERS!!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:24 pm

I think it was Kane's interview in guitarist magazine (though it may have been something else) where it was said that Bob Ezrin took Alice to see him play and a fight broke out near the stage with two drunks and Alice was impressed how Kane just kept on playing when being rhe size he was he could have easily knocked out the pair of them, I think this may have been mentioned by Alice too.

Anyway even possibly getting Ezrin introducing Alice to Kane right, this book is a sad state of affairs.

No one likes to see a writer with a good pedigree make such a cock up but that is what this is. How can his career ever recover, if it was a book on the Beatles with the same level of error he would be hung out to dry, but as it isn't 1973 anymore when Alice Cooper was everyday news, Thompson will live to write another book, but I can't see any Alice Cooper fan buying it!

The T.Rex stuff was appalling also it's like Electric Warrior never happened and Marc went from acoustic to the Slider with nothing Inbetween.

To use a track from that first rock album from T. Rex, this book is a 'Rip Off' and should be celebrated on November 5th with Guy Fawkes!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 am

Si wrote:A few more errors I happened to write down.

Lydon auditioned singing 'Schools Out' to get Pistols job [It was Eighteen]

Alice sings 'I'm Flash' and 'Trapped' on Zorg women album [It was I'm Flash and Space Pirates]

2 shows at the rainbow in 1971, the first OPENING for The Who the day before the band headline the same venue [Since when??]

Mentions how 'Public Enemy #9' shows how the Spiders were progessing [even though it isn`t them]

Refers to the Billion Dollar Babies demos, notes they aren`t real demos but just the Quad album, then talks about how they show the genesis of the songs.

Zappa audition at 7PM. not in the morning

Tells Chicken story without mentioning it was set up and done at other shows.

Discribes the American Music awards shows but neglects to mention it was Sheryl he pulls from the audience.[I know, not a mistake, but would have made the story more interesting]

Quotes Alice about (No More) Love At Your Convience, but the quote is actually talking about Disco Boodbath Boogie Fever and makes no real sense.

MOL was an abject failure in pretty much every way, but Battle Axe
is a rock masterpiece...

Oh, and FTI is a poor album as well with little going for it...
::((:
"I'm just another case…”

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 am

I make you correct steven_crayn; if this was a book on a major act today it would be ripped to pieces - in more ways than one!

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 am

It also mentions in the book that the Amazing Randi stared in A Clockwork Orange. He wasn't even in the film. Was he?
Boomshanka

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:48 am

I'm finding it a quite enjoyable read - sure there's errors but on a whole its worth it. Some unseen ( for me anyway) photo's too .

Just a couple of misconceptions though

>Lydon auditioned singing 'Schools Out' to get Pistols job [It was Eighteen]
<

My book page 107 clearly says Eighteen

Also the Zappa audition - yes it does say PM but it is again clearly a misprint because the very next sentence talks about the audition "early in the morning" and makes further mention of the morning time a bit further on - Sloppy printing rather than research .

>>Actually, it is almost certain that he has taken information from this site (and not given any credit for it).

I'd agree though not acknowledged . However I have recently picked up a copy of "sangre, serpientes y guillotinas " and you do get an acknowledgement in there Si.

Mind you its about all I can read in that book - however it looks faintly interesting , an English Translation would be good !!

Back to the topic I think WTMN by Thompson is a worthwhile read for the most part.

:bam: :bam:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 am

>It also mentions in the book that the Amazing Randi stared in A Clockwork Orange. He wasn't even in the film. Was he?

No.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 am

given the number of errors it appears are in this book, the question re Randi/Clockwork Orange is almost rhetorical...I am glad Alice turned out to be in the original band
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:46 pm

nurserozetta wrote: >Lydon auditioned singing 'Schools Out' to get Pistols job [It was Eighteen]

That`s what it says on page 107, fast forward to page 197, when he's actually talking about the period when it happened, and it's become 'School's Out'

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:12 am

Completely ludacris. There are facts that even casual Alice fans know, but someone who writes a book about Alice doesn't ? It's actually comical!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 am

Si wrote:
nurserozetta wrote: >Lydon auditioned singing 'Schools Out' to get Pistols job [It was Eighteen]

That`s what it says on page 107, fast forward to page 197, when he's actually talking about the period when it happened, and it's become 'School's Out'
Ok not quite there yet - but it seems the book is a victim of very poor proof reading .

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:18 pm

I have not purchased the book and likely will not be purchasing it (why would I after all of this?!?) But is there any mention of Brian in there?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:24 pm

No.