School's been out for 40 years!!!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

School's been out for 40 years!!!

Post by tuneylune » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Hard to believe it's been so long since this masterpiece has come out. School is getting out in a few weeks here and have heard the epic opening track on the radio three times already-still sounds as great as it did in 1972! While I love KILLER and LOVE IT TO DEATH more, this is arguably the group's most focused work as the title track was huge, it probably has the most equal amount of writing credits by all of them and the "Ezrinization" of the sound really is at its best here.
Does anyone know if Glen , besides coming up with that incredible guitar riff for the title track, wrote the lyrics to "Gutter Cats VS The Jets"?
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: School's been out for 40 years!!!

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:43 pm

tuneylune wrote:Does anyone know if Glen , besides coming up with that incredible guitar riff for the title track, wrote the lyrics to "Gutter Cats VS The Jets"?
Don't know about the actual writing of the lyrics, but I believe the credits on the song are: Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim. The latter two are credited because of the West Side Story bits that were used.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:08 pm

There was a campaign a couple of years ago, by Glasgow Rangers fans, to get people to download 'simply the best' by Tina Turner to celebrate Rangers winning the league. This culminated in the song going straight in the top 40 at number 8 and then straight back out the next week, completely perplexing the radio one dj doing the show. What do you think of trying to get the same campaign for schools out. Choose a week that celebrates the fortieth anniversary and get as many as possible to download the song and try and get it into the top 4o. if everyone puts it on their facebook etc..

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 am

Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:13 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
tuneylune wrote:Does anyone know if Glen , besides coming up with that incredible guitar riff for the title track, wrote the lyrics to "Gutter Cats VS The Jets"?
Don't know about the actual writing of the lyrics, but I believe the credits on the song are: Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim. The latter two are credited because of the West Side Story bits that were used.
I would say so as the Dennis credit would be for the raga Bass lines

That song is a masterpiece I once played an acoustic version at a gig on the anniversary of Glen's death and they way it was linked into the Bernstein/Sondheim West Side Story section is brilliant the chord structure is fantastic and as for that bass, Dennis finest moment on record AWESOME!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:05 pm

tuneylune wrote: Does anyone know if Glen , besides coming up with that incredible guitar riff for the title track, wrote the lyrics to "Gutter Cats VS The Jets"?
The lyrics were actually written by Dennis and the working title was "Gutter Pussy".
In my opinion, School´s Out captures some of the ACG´s finest moments on vinyl and it was Glen Buxton´s favorite AC album.
He was especially happy with the freedom that Bob Ezrin gave him to jam and experiment on that album, which resulted in his jazzy solo on Blue Turk, which blows me away everytime I hear it!

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:19 pm

LOVE Blue Turk - Glen's finest hour :rock:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Blue Turk, great song!
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 pm

That's interesting what you say about Gutter Cat DIMMA, got this email from DD 5 years ago which throws some more light on the song and his bass playing.

"Steven;
What bass lines am I the most proud of?I guess I might say Billion Dollar Babies since the song began as a sing-song ballad. I told the other guys that we needed to stick some dynamite under it if was going to be the title song. They said what have you got? I turned my amp up a notch and worked up that line on the spot. Glen doubled it and the song kicked into overdrive. Neal's drum part came together on the final take in the studio.
Gutter Cat is just a sample of the type of thing that I make up when I practice alone. It's an open D string drone with a raga scale on the G string. Like most of my lines, it's much simpler than it sounds"

DD