Alice's Relationship with Warner

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice's Relationship with Warner

Post by SickThings » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 am

I've always liked "Dyslexia." Cool hook, funny lyrics. The chorus is the weakest part of the song, but it all works for me. "Just like the bottom of Coke bottles." Great imagery! Well, for those who remember glass Coke bottles....

Hunter

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:21 pm

I have a question Andy may be able to answer. I remember years ago when there was a discussion on Alice albums that should be certified gold or platinum (I would think several are in need of an update), Brian Nelson mentioned that Love It To Death and The Alice Cooper Show were close to needing certified (or the ACS's case certified). Love it To Death did move from gold to platinum several months later, but nothing ever happened in regards to the Alice Cooper Show. Has there ever been any other discussion about that?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:16 pm

>Has there ever been any other discussion about that?

I don't know although my guess is that it would be for Warner Brothers to submit the album for consideration (if it has met any necessary requirement).

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Alice cooper is one of the only artists of his era not to have a complete albums remasters yet. Never understood why.

Even the likes of Killer and Love It To Death should be done like B$B was, every album should be,

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:25 am

Alice cooper is one of the only artists of his era not to have a complete albums remasters yet. Never understood why.
Several albums have been remastered so far. In fact I think one of the plans (and I may not be remembering correctly) of the infamous Mega Box Set that was in the works was to include the remastering of all the WB-Era albums. I think you would likely see a remastering of *all* the albums more likely in a box set all at once than individually unless it was one of the bigger albums. For instance, I don't expect to see someone going out of their way to remaster "Pretties For You" and getting a big return on the investment. But stranger things have happened.
Even the likes of Killer and Love It To Death should be done like B$B was, every album should be,
Killer & Love It To Death were remastered in the past few years by Audio Fidelity.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:29 am

I think maybe if the box set were to be done with the albums remastered it would prob be the way Blue Oyster Cult has been done. There were 6 slbums that were remastered previously in 2001 and 2007. The box set contains those remasters and the rest of the catalog was remastered in 2012 along with 2 bonus CDs of rare and live recordingds The price is anywhere around $96 to $130 or so.

I could see Alices stuff done mayb the same way with previously remasters along with update remasters of albums that havent been remastered yet. ?

One thing about the BOC box set is the previously remasstered CDs have bonus tracks there were on the original remasters and the 2012 remasters do not have any bonus tracks... I would hope if there ever is a Alice box set and it is done in a similar way that the new remasters would include bonus tracks.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 am

Cooper wasn't really selling records in the early to mid 80s - well, nothing like he used to anyway, surely that is the reason Warner Bros terminated their arrangement/relationship/deal with Alice Cooper.

I don't know about the availability of Cooper albums around that time (80 - 85), but I never had a problem finding Cooper records in ANY format during that period AND late 80s to be honest.

>As I started collecting Cooper LP's in the late 80's it was hard to come across a few LP's.

Do you actually mean vinyl LPs?? Because if you don't, I would be VERY surprised.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 am

>Killer & Love It To Death were remastered in the past few years by Audio Fidelity.

As were all (I think) the Warner Brothers albums, by that Japanese company as was already discussed on this forum.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Gunner wrote:Cooper wasn't really selling records in the early to mid 80s - well, nothing like he used to anyway, surely that is the reason Warner Bros terminated their arrangement/relationship/deal with Alice Cooper.
Did they "terminate" the contract?
My understanding is that 'Dada' was the last album Alice was contracted to produce for Warner Bros., and he wanted off the label by then anyway (remember "Former Lee Warner" aka "Formerly Warner" on that album?) and wasn`t about to resign even if a new contract was offered.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Just searched the Warner Bros web sites and can't find any reference to Alice, which I find rather strange given the sales success he brought them over the years and still does, yet they have an obscure band on there that I'd seen in Glastonbury Festival some time back - just doesn't compute.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 pm

My understanding is that 'Dada' was the last album Alice was contracted to produce for Warner Bros., and he wanted off the label by then anyway (remember "Former Lee Warner" aka "Formerly Warner" on that album?) and wasn`t about to resign even if a new contract was offered.
Good point. However, I tend to think that Warner would not have offered Alice much more at the end of the deal - and certainly not a great deal of support/backing. I think Alice knew this and wanted out, so maybe 'parting by mutual consent ' is more apt in the circumstances!?

I don't know of course, that's the feeling I always got.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 am

Gunner wrote:
Good point. However, I tend to think that Warner would not have offered Alice much more at the end of the deal - and certainly not a great deal of support/backing. I think Alice knew this and wanted out, so maybe 'parting by mutual consent ' is more apt in the circumstances!?

I don't know of course, that's the feeling I always got.
I think it's safe to say that poor album sales made it an easy decision for Warner.....and lack of album support/marketing made it an easy decision for Alice.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 am

Okay I may be repeating myself here, having done extensive research on Warner Bros sites there was absolutely no refererence of Alice at all, perhaps you can prove otherwise.

I think this is a disgrace that they don't support him in any way in promotional areana or upgrading of the sales profile; but still willing to take the money for past glories. (It must have been one hell of a bust up).

Should we contact Warner and petition via e-mail to give support and be a general nuisance, open to suggestions.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 pm

>having done extensive research on Warner Bros sites there was absolutely no refererence of Alice at all, perhaps you can prove otherwise.

So what? There isn't any in relation to many of their other artists either that are no longer with that company.

>(It must have been one hell of a bust up).

Actually, there wasn't one - things just fizzled out.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:22 pm

[quote="A_MichaelUK"]>having done extensive research on Warner Bros sites there was absolutely no refererence of Alice at all, perhaps you can prove otherwise.

So what? There isn't any in relation to many of their other artists either that are no longer with that company.

Thanks for that Andy, although I think it morally stinks they reap the benefits without providing any support.

Another question if you don't mind Andy, why hasn't WB upgraded the award gradings; gold, 2 x platinium etc which he must have accomplished with the new audiences etc he's reaching today and the CD format from vinyl some time back. And mostlong term fans would have replaced their vinyl to cd's or downloads.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 pm

>although I think it morally stinks they reap the benefits without providing any support.

What is this "support" they are not giving? What is that they are doing for any of their other artists who are no longer on the label that they should be doing in this case?

>Another question if you don't mind Andy, why hasn't WB upgraded the award gradings;

I think it's because ultimately it doesn't mean anything except to someone who is fascinated with statistics and also, record companies are notoriously bad at documenting that sort of information.

>I gold, 2 x platinium etc which he must have accomplished with the new audiences etc he's reaching today

It would be delusional to think he or any other artist of his generation is selling vast quantities these days - this has been discussed so many time before on this board.

>and the CD format from vinyl some time back.

Well funnily enough, that's exactly what led to some of the early albums being certified platinum in the early nineties, so that has already happened.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Sorry to press you on this, but in response to the questions and your replies:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>although I think it morally stinks they reap the benefits without providing any support.

What is this "support" they are not giving? What is that they are doing for any of their other artists who are no longer on the label that they should be doing in this case?

I think if they reap the benefits they should recognise this with support.

>Another question if you don't mind Andy, why hasn't WB upgraded the award gradings;

I think it's because ultimately it doesn't mean anything except to someone who is fascinated with statistics and also, record companies are notoriously bad at documenting that sort of information.

I quite like statistics.

>I gold, 2 x platinium etc which he must have accomplished with the new audiences etc he's reaching today

It would be delusional to think he or any other artist of his generation is selling vast quantities these days - this has been discussed so many time before on this board.

I think it still has much more milage for discussion.

>and the CD format from vinyl some time back.

Well funnily enough, that's exactly what led to some of the early albums being certified platinum in the early nineties, so that has already happened.

Below is the link for Canada's gold/platinium database and the sales of CD's look quite healthy to me, unfortunately for vynil, which are logged seperately only go back to 1975

So I stand firmly with the premise that Warner Bros get fat while Alice does the work. (Or perhaps I should get out a bit more)!

http://www.musiccanada.com/GPSearchResu ... =ascending

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Seriously wrote: So I stand firmly with the premise that Warner Bros get fat while Alice does the work.(Or perhaps I should get out a bit more)!
Do you have any idea how many artists have been signed to Warner Bros over the years?

Why on Earth would they still be ploughing money into an artist that hasn't released anything with them for nearly 30 years?

So yes, you need to get out a bit more.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Seriously wrote: So I stand firmly with the premise that Warner Bros get fat while Alice does the work.(Or perhaps I should get out a bit more)!
Do you have any idea how many artists have been signed to Warner Bros over the years?

Why on Earth would they still be ploughing money into an artist that hasn't released anything with them for nearly 30 years?

Its just my opinion as a fan that they should be doing more. Other labels still have on their back catalogue website artists who are no longer with them, but absolutely nothing on WB.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Seriously wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:

Its just my opinion as a fan that they should be doing more. Other labels still have on their back catalogue website artists who are no longer with them, but absolutely nothing on WB.
Can you, or can you not still buy the albums by Alice released by Warner Bros?

That's all that matters