Who do you believe?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Who do you believe?

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:29 am

I wonder what Alice thought of Battle Axe. Wonder how his input would have changed the LP. Does anyone here like it more that L & W?

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:41 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Why do people think that this is any of their business?? This is the band's business.. Not something that should be discussed. This is just my opinion.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:15 pm

"I wonder what Alice thought of Battle Axe. Wonder how his input would have changed the LP. Does anyone here like it more that L & W?"

I love the Battle Axe lp and own the 3 cd set, which is also awesome. L&W isn't that popular, so I am sure there are others that might prefer BA, but overall, I would not say it is overly popular on here.
I doubt Alice thought about it all, good chance he has not listened to in its entirety and at least not in depth. Although, some might say he didn't give L&W a thorough listening to either.

Although, Alice or someone in his camp (Brian?) made the wise, and gracious, choice to include a song on the box set.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Billie1966 wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Why do people think that this is any of their business?? This is the band's business.. Not something that should be discussed. This is just my opinion.

Danny~
Well, band members have discussed this subject over the years...and the curiosity of why the band came to an end, is a valid enough question. But...Does the public have a right to know every little detail and the personal feelings of the individual band members? Maybe not. And yes, the public is not OWED that from Alice or any of the other guys.

My problem is, and has been, the desire by many fans to try and wrap the entire issue into one convenient ball. They seem to want an answer to the "why did they break up" question that can easily be sorted, cataloged, and filed with no further issues or loose ends to deal with. After 40 years, you are not going to get that definitive answer. Too many people involved, with different views, and different emotions to ever come to one solid, "Yes! That's It!" answer. It seems obvious to me, that if there WERE one definitive answer to the question...we'd have heard it by now.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:41 pm

>They seem to want an answer to the "why did they break up" question that can easily be sorted, cataloged, and filed with no further issues or loose ends to deal with.

I agree and unfortunately it's an attitude that sometimes is found in other threads as well and that's quite revealing.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 am

When questions on here arise regarding the band's break up I get the impression that maybe some posters, besides wanting a definitive answer seem almost to want to apportion blame or responsibility in some way on one member more than others (usually Alice). I think this is because when something like the ACG split up for diehard fans they resent the period that follows because of their love of the original so they seek a scapegoat. Not dissimilar to the blame on Yoko Ono for the Beatles break up(as if John Lennon couldn't make his own mind up!!). I think that it is made worse in this case because Alice not only continued with the original groups name but also patently had a more successful career than the other band members after the break up.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Billie1966 wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Why do people think that this is any of their business?? This is the band's business.. Not something that should be discussed. This is just my opinion.

Danny~
Say it all you want, but your opinion on this topic doesn't make any sense. Alice, Dennis, Michael, Neal and Glen chose to be public performers. If they just wanted to make music - you can do that in the privacy of your own home. The moment you take it to the public, the interest in your music and all things related to your music is out of your control. It comes with the territory.

IMO, the music/music product and everything that guides their career is in bounds, their personal and family matters is off limits.

That's why I have no interest in Alice's golf game - aside from whatever personal benefits AC derives from this pursuit, it doesn't have a direct connection to the oeuvre. I have a different opinion on the (normally personal) religious topic, but I leave that alone for the most part because of clearly stated board rules. Suffice to say I think it informs/justifies certain behaviour that does indeed affect the music therefor I think it should be open for discussion, but I understand why it's verboten.

It's understandable why this is a lingering topic for so many fans.

It's widely considered that the band as a whole, produced some of the most interesting and entertaining music in all of rock. By comparison the AC solo career has been much more uneven and the BDB group was short lived and the Battle Axe album wasn't particularly satisfying. So the evidence suggests the sum total of the ACG was much better than it's parts.

Now, one could say they just aren't interested in playing old music but that doesn't fly because Alice hasn't stopped playing the old group's songs and when DD, NS and MB play live they do the same.

Since that 's the case, it's logical to conclude that there's a personal or business conflict that runs so deep that there is irreconcilable differences that prevents these (now) four people from working with each other on a prolonged basis. The fact that no one comes out and states something that makes sense on why there never has been a reformation has led to this perpetual speculation and will only stop when the few remaining AC fans finally die off.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 pm

>It's understandable why this is a lingering topic for so many fans.

I agree but the point I was making was that no - one here has yet brought forward any fresh insights (although I think my reference to Glen may be an exception). So unless there are fresh insights one ends up making points that have already been made here and that will rapidly get boring.

> By comparison the AC solo career has been much more uneven

Well to be fair, it's been gone one for longer than the original band existed, so it's more likely to happen.

>Now, one could say they just aren't interested in playing old music but that doesn't fly because Alice hasn't stopped playing the old group's songs and when DD, NS and MB play live they do the same.

I don't think anyone has ever put that theory forward and it would be ridiculous to do so.

>The fact that no one comes out and states something

Did you actually read what Robbie and GNDM wrote? There isn't "something" - there are many 'things' and again, you seem to want there to be a quick and easy answer. That tends not to be how these things happen.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 pm

"The fact that no one comes out and states something" You quoted half a sentence amuk - that hardly counts as fair discussion. Try again but include my entire statement if you feel the need to respond.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:39 pm

>"The fact that no one comes out and states something" You quoted half a sentence amuk - that hardly counts as fair discussion. Try again but include my entire statement if you feel the need to respond.

I could have done, but my response would still have been the same.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 pm

I don't think Ezrin or Shep wanted to work with the band anymore and convinced Alice and they used theatrics as an excuse. Just look at how frustrated Shep was with the band in the Bob Greene book and how Ezrin got so frustrated he didn't produce MOL.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 pm

Now, one could say they just aren't interested in playing old music but that doesn't fly because Alice hasn't stopped playing the old group's songs and when DD, NS and MB play live they do the same.

Since that 's the case, it's logical to conclude that there's a personal or business conflict that runs so deep that there is irreconcilable differences that prevents these (now) four people from working with each other on a prolonged basis. The fact that no one comes out and states something that makes sense on why there never has been a reformation has led to this perpetual speculation and will only stop when the few remaining AC fans finally die off.
It is logical for YOU to conclude. However, since you KNOW nothing about any conflict, or lack of one, you won't be able to get much farther than your own, personal "conclusion". As a serious fan, you simply feel that you are OWED an explanation for an event that took place that you are not pleased with. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that explanation.
Your response here kind of shows me that you want that ONE definitive answer. But - do you really think you are going to get that from 4 different people? And 40 years after the fact? Your original premise is correct - fans will wonder the 'why' of this event. Well, set back and wonder some more. You may get some sort of responses to your questions of "Why", but sense it will come from AT LEAST four different people....I will assume it won't be the nice and neat answer that you want. Like I said....you won't get an answer tied up neatly with a bow.

As for the four surviving bandmates not getting together for prolonged periods...."Go Ask Alice...I think he knows." (Not a slap at AC, just he is the straw that will stir the drink on that question.)

BTW....just my take on the answer to your original question of "why the break up"...$hit happens.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:20 am

Take it easy Francis...

what exactly are you so angry about?

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:43 am

Who is angry? Just tired of the same old question. AND....the same old answers...oops...theories.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:24 am

GNDM wrote:Who is angry? Just tired of the same old question. AND....the same old answers...oops...theories.
Hey, you're in luck, I have the perfect solution for you - don't read the thread.

There's a few "My favorite album" threads going, those things bore me and guess what ? I don't click on them - works out just swell.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:55 am

I personally think this is a valid question as it has had, arguably, the biggest impact on the Alice Cooper legacy but as GDNM points out we are never going to get a definative answer from those directly involved and even less so if they are planning to do more work together as it wouild be counter-productive. With so many people involved they're will be different reasons for different people and just like looking back on a divorce after nearly forty years some events will be forgotton and some magnified. I however find it interesting and believe it is well within a fan's forum to speculate on the different reasons, even more than once. IMO the band was tired, some felt that they're musical input wasn't appreciated, some felt that they were being held back creatively, perhaps just being in each other's company 24/7 was getting too much and some were fighting their own personal demons and addictions, put it all into a pot and mix, along with the pressure of having to artistically create and deal with pressure from the record company and the public and you have either an explosion or an implosion. The great bit is that they have come to an understanding and are able to work together again and hopefully create some more work together on the next album.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 am

>Just look at how frustrated Shep was with the band in the Bob Greene book

There is some truth in that but not every band where people are frustrated with each other break - up, so it cannot be the only reason.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:47 am

>I personally think this is a valid question as it has had,

No - one said it wasn't but it's rather pointless asking it if all people are going to do is regurgitate the same old stuff much of which can probably already be found on this site.

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:23 pm

I believe the facts. The group was fantastic, but after a while, they had to move on, for personal, artistic, whatever reasons...
Alice went solo, with the name Alice Cooper, because it was his name, legally, and was successful. The other guys became the group ''Billion Dollar Babies'', and unfortunately, it was a flop.
Not because the guys were not good, but, a group without a charismatic singer cannot survive. I can imagine the turmoil at the time, but finally, they are good friends again. Voilà, this is my opinion.
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Greenie...your opinion is fine. However....you are not striving for the kind of answer many fans want. In short - "Who is to blame?" They want that ONE definitive answer that can be rolled out..."The original band broke up because" ____________________ (insert short answer here).