How Alice has spoiled us.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

How Alice has spoiled us.

Post by tuneylune » Tue May 22, 2012 11:18 am

Being an old geezer, I remember buying records and wanting all the info I could get-felt cheated if the record came in a paper or (God forbid) a PLASTIC sleeve with nothing else. Besides the music, Alice always puts a little extra for our enjoyment...
-PRETTIES FOR YOU and EASY ACTION had great gatefold covers with many photos.
-LOVE IT TO DEATH had that wonderful gatefold of Alice's "Spider" eyes with the group inside. When I got a replacement copy, hung the eyes on the wall above the record player. Love the group picture on the back as well.
-KILLER had the sick/cool 1972 calender of Alice on the gallows. In my first apartment, hung it next to the door, so it would be the first and last thing people saw. Even better group photo on the back.
-SCHOOL'S OUT had the great desk setup. Could not find Dennis for years in the group shot until someone pointed him over the garbage can. Alas, my copy did not have the panties.
-BILLION DOLLAR BABIES. Enjoyed the punch out photos and of course, the Billion Dollar Bill.
-MUSCLE OF LOVE. Great sleeve with the "before and after" photos and the bookcover was pretty neat too. My Grandparents sent me this with LITD and thought the cover had been damaged as I received mine in a cardboard box, which I found out some months later was the actual container.
-GREATEST HITS. Loved the sleeve drawing of the group with all the movie stars and the listing of them as Garage mechanics-wonder where Metallica got the idea for GARAGE INC?
-WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE, ALICE COOPER GOES TO HELL, LACE AND WHISKEY and FLUSH THE FASHION all had inner sleeves with lyrics (not LAW) and good photos of the man as well.
-THE ALICE COOPER SHOW had a neat sleeve with all the albums and an order form for a couple of T-Shirts. Still did not make the album listenable!
-FROM THE INSIDE had the neat album cover with the opening doors on the front and back as well as Alice with his "Released "form fleeing the hospital with the other inmates along side the lyrics.
-ZIPPER CATCHES SKIN, DADA, CONSTRICTOR and RAISE YOUR FIST AND YELL all had lyrics enclosed.
No more records after that, cassettes and then CDs, always at least some photos and info. Loved the books and extra swag in THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER and SCHOOL DAY'S 1964-74, although I wish the price had been a little lower for the second one.
Also enjoyed the extra stuff KISS threw in, especially the booklets in the first two live albums, but even at 15, thought the pop out "Love Gun" was pretty stupid.
Coop, keep spoiling us!! :)
"I need everything the world owes me..."

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Re: How Alice has spoiled us.

Post by killer wolf » Tue May 22, 2012 11:53 am

"wonder where Metallica got the idea for GARAGE INC?"

from garage band sub-culture.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm

I loved the 'Gun' cover for 'Love's a loaded gun'.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am

i liked the poison bottle.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 am

suprised the cool comic book with "the last temptation" wasn't brought up!

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Wed May 23, 2012 11:35 am

tuneylune wrote:Being an old geezer, I remember buying records and wanting all the info I could get-felt cheated if the record came in a paper or (God forbid) a PLASTIC sleeve with nothing else. Besides the music, Alice always puts a little extra for our enjoyment...
-LOVE IT TO DEATH had that wonderful gatefold of Alice's "Spider" eyes with the group inside. When I got a replacement copy, hung the eyes on the wall above the record player. Love the group picture on the back as well.
-KILLER had the sick/cool 1972 calender of Alice on the gallows. In my first apartment, hung it next to the door, so it would be the first and last thing people saw. Even better group photo on the back.
-SCHOOL'S OUT had the great desk setup. Could not find Dennis for years in the group shot until someone pointed him over the garbage can. Alas, my copy did not have the panties.
-BILLION DOLLAR BABIES. Enjoyed the punch out photos and of course, the Billion Dollar Bill.
-MUSCLE OF LOVE. Great sleeve with the "before and after" photos and the bookcover was pretty neat too. My Grandparents sent me this with LITD and thought the cover had been damaged as I received mine in a cardboard box, which I found out some months later was the actual container.
-GREATEST HITS. Loved the sleeve drawing of the group with all the movie stars and the listing of them as Garage mechanics-wonder where Metallica got the idea for GARAGE INC?
-WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE, ALICE COOPER GOES TO HELL, LACE AND WHISKEY and FLUSH THE FASHION all had inner sleeves with lyrics (not LAW) and good photos of the man as well.
-THE ALICE COOPER SHOW had a neat sleeve with all the albums and an order form for a couple of T-Shirts. Still did not make the album listenable!
-FROM THE INSIDE had the neat album cover with the opening doors on the front and back as well as Alice with his "Released "form fleeing the hospital with the other inmates along side the lyrics.
-ZIPPER CATCHES SKIN, DADA, CONSTRICTOR and RAISE YOUR FIST AND YELL all had lyrics enclosed.
No more records after that, cassettes and then CDs, always at least some photos and info. Loved the books and extra swag in THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER and SCHOOL DAY'S 1964-74, although I wish the price had been a little lower for the second one.
Also enjoyed the extra stuff KISS threw in, especially the booklets in the first two live albums, but even at 15, thought the pop out "Love Gun" was pretty stupid.
Spoiling? This is how it's called now? I call it marketing.
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 am

Greenie wrote:
tuneylune wrote:Being an old geezer, I remember buying records and wanting all the info I could get-felt cheated if the record came in a paper or (God forbid) a PLASTIC sleeve with nothing else. Besides the music, Alice always puts a little extra for our enjoyment...
Perhaps so, but I guess what I was trying to say in my convoluted way is I appreciate any extras I get in a album other than the music. Makes it more fun and Alice has been doing it for awhile and just wish other bands would do it as well.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Thu May 24, 2012 5:15 pm

tuneylune wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Perhaps so, but I guess what I was trying to say in my convoluted way is I appreciate any extras I get in a album other than the music. Makes it more fun and Alice has been doing it for awhile and just wish other bands would do it as well.
Did you get those special extras at the time when you bought the original albums? If you did, you're lucky to have them. I was too young at the time, to find them, and now, all I can do is to try to find them in conventions, etc... I have extras, but they are not as great and awesome as yours. I'm jealous of you.
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm

The more involved packaging was very much a thing of the early and mid-seventies. Gatefolds were commonplace - I loved 'em. Special inner sleeves too, many contained booklets, stickers, posters.

The record industry cheaped out in the eighties and some back catalogue pressings towards the end of the vinyl era were not only flimsy in packaging but the vinyl itself was kinda crappy.

Now that vinyl has had a minor resurgence, the quality in packaging has returned, catering to the niche collector market - I love it. Just bought Black Sabbath at Hammersmith triple lp, Metallica at Grimey's douple 10" EP, Beyond Magnetic silver vinyl and Rush First American Broadcast on blue vinyl.