From The Inside

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

From The Inside

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue May 22, 2012 3:48 am

With all the excitement regarding the release of "Strange Case", it made me wonder how many fellow Cooper freaks feel that FTI is his best album post 1975. I have to say it is even though many subsequent LPs have been incredible. I saw Alice on this tour & it was fantastic. Looking forward to its release. FTI is a masterpiece.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: From The Inside

Post by Robbie » Tue May 22, 2012 5:56 am

I agree. My favourite album post 1975 by a country mile. Simply love it.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue May 22, 2012 9:40 am

not a bad track on it!

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue May 22, 2012 10:15 am

Definitely his best 70's solo LP after NIGHTMARE. Was getting concerned after getting ALICE COOPER GOES TO HELL, LACE AND WHISKEY and especially THE ALICE COOPER SHOW as I found them very bland and without much direction, although I like LAW more as I've grown older. FTI had really good production, a great story (who else had the moxie to get help for substance abuse back then and kudos to him for doing so), good songs/playing and I think "How You Gonna See Me Now" is his best ballad of the four . Wish he would bring this back to the set and put "Only Women Bleed" on ice for awhile.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 am

I prefer FTI to WTMN, and I actually DO like Lace and Whisky!

I would love to have seen Cooper on that Madhouse Rock tour, I saw him a couple of years later but he seemed really poorly by then.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue May 22, 2012 12:18 pm

It is my favorite Alice album of all-time and that includes his work with the original band.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue May 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Gunner wrote:I would love to have seen Cooper on that Madhouse Rock tour, I saw him a couple of years later but he seemed really poorly by then.
I was fortunate that that was my first Alice show, March 3, 1979, in Louisville. Ad, ticket stub, photos, and story here, if anyone is interested.

Hunter

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Due to the oil crisis the show never got to Europe so I never saw it.
Although a good album it's not my favorite. It beats Lace and the Live album by miles but I like the Alice to have more guitars and more raw songs and music.
From the inside was for me more an album in the style of Steely Dan/Toto and that's NOT the way I like Alice to hear.

From the inside was the comeback for Alice in Holland.
Last edited by mestreech on Tue May 22, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue May 22, 2012 12:51 pm

::((:

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Post by departmentofyouth » Tue May 22, 2012 1:31 pm

When I became a fan in the mid-80's, I liked From The Inside, but it wasn't a fave of mine for a long time. That is, until the late 90's. When he played the title track on the Carnival Tour. I went home after the show and put it on the turntable and something clicked! It suddenly felt like a masterpiece!

From the LP layout, to the comic book and my bad VHS copies of Strange Case, it was nice to rediscover it after having them in my collection for many years. It has been a fave of mine ever since.

I really liked how he started to incorporate more tunes from the LP on some of the tours during the 2000's!

:alice:
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue May 22, 2012 4:22 pm

One of the best albums Alice has put out, next to WTMN.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue May 22, 2012 4:22 pm

FTI is one of my favorites from Alice's solo career. It was a "comeback" album to me because I was losing interest after ACGTH, LAW and TACS. Soon as I saw the album cover I was optimistic Alice was back on track.

Also saw the show live and it was fantastic, possibly the best live show from the 14 I've seen. All that's missing on FTI is a rock and roll hit as Alice was no longer getting airplay on FM radio with his new stuff. The station I listened to in Cleveland played For Veronica's Sake around the time of his concert, but that didn't last long.

My personal preferences: I like Dada more than FTI and TLT is close.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue May 22, 2012 6:18 pm

>Due to the oil crisis the show never got to Europe so I never saw it

I think you're thinking of the "Billion Dollar Babies" tour.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 pm

FTI is probably my fav album of all time, it has every ingredient from his best ballads to great rockers all hooked on a fascinating story, combined with one of the best album covers of all time. Every time I have played this album to Non Alice fans they have always been converted.

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Wed May 23, 2012 1:53 am

I can't choose a favourite from WTMN, GTH and FTI. 3 brilliant albums.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 am

An absolutely fantastic album with brilliant lyrics and a great album cover. It isn't as adventurous as Welcome to my nightmare or Goes to hell but it is just as good. Alice's voice was in top form on this album. I also like Lace and whiskey, in fact I love this era of Alice's music.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 pm

I liked that period of the late seventies for Alice as well, the albums were big productions with lots of musicians - and I liked the 'Alice ballad era' that went with it I have to say.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu May 24, 2012 8:38 am

SickThings wrote:
Gunner wrote:I would love to have seen Cooper on that Madhouse Rock tour, I saw him a couple of years later but he seemed really poorly by then.
I was fortunate that that was my first Alice show, March 3, 1979, in Louisville. Ad, ticket stub, photos, and story here, if anyone is interested.

Hunter
THANKS so much for the adventure and photos. Was living above Chicago on this tour and tried real hard, but could not get to it :( . Closest thing was a typically smug, put-down ROLLING STONE review. :angry: (Of course, Mick Jagger could burp and they would be jumping up and down praising it).
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Thu May 24, 2012 8:58 am

My absolute favorite Coop album, period. Brilliant arrangements, lyrics & performances all the way around. Probably Alice's most character-driven concept album. What a movie this would've made!

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Thu May 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Excellent album. I like the fact that each of the characters in the songs were based on actual people Alice met in the sanitarium.
Powerful ballad for Cheryl, must have been a hard time for them, that alcoholism period.
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!