Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

RYFAY Vs. ACAS

Post by andyrew » Fri May 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Which one do you prefer?

Both seem to be criticized heavily, but considering the overall concept is similar, which do you favour more?

I didn't mind ACAS but RYFAY gets the vote for me. The overall album execution is more in line with the concept.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Re: RYFAY Vs. ACAS

Post by recoop » Fri May 11, 2012 5:50 pm

ACAS for me as more of the album hangs together as a story..
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 11, 2012 6:36 pm

>but considering the overall concept is similar,

I forgot that you think there is a "concept" on that album.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Yeah your right, ACAS does have a storyline from
Start to finish. It's too bad the execution wasn't as good as it had the potential to be.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri May 11, 2012 8:33 pm

re ACAS, I think it has the potential to be great its just that Alice happy to leave to our interpretation...I thought the video gave a steer to our thoughts and the cd packaging was Edgar Allan Poe meets Roger Corman with a hint of hammer horror... I liked it but ignored the handclapping etc..is this cheesy or is Alice being ironic?..he might be being ironic..he knows whats cool and whats not but would be quite happy to go against convention..I think a lot of albums by AC are not as great as they could be but I think he likes to throw the dice-he's a gambler...you could look at his output and see the risks ACGTH- good album in my view (comedy from AC at that time risky) but if he had used two or three tracks from Lace and Whiskey with ACGTH(and ditched the rest) could have been a contender...ha,,my views and I'm sticking to them.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Fri May 11, 2012 10:46 pm

I can't believe we are still talking about that ''Concept'' thing...
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 am

Not too crazy about either of them , but prefer SPIDER as the production is better and it has none of the million notes a minute guitar playing which is all over FIST. Both albums have their good points, but it seems Alice is trying to hard in FIST to be "evil" and we are hit over and over by the "plot" in SPIDER.
Back when I was on the outside looking in at all you Sick Things,it seemed a lot of you did not care for SPIDER at all.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat May 12, 2012 12:26 pm

[/color]
tuneylune wrote:Not too crazy about either of them , but prefer SPIDER as the production is better and it has none of the million notes a minute guitar playing which is all over FIST. Both albums have their good points, but it seems Alice is trying to hard in FIST to be "evil" and we are hit over and over by the "plot" in SPIDER.
Back when I was on the outside looking in at all you Sick Things,it seemed a lot of you did not care for SPIDER at all.
Along came a hornets' nest!

With new Alice albums or even the old ones, arguments tend to start on here even with the last album which I can't see why anyone wouldn't love it, but that's opinion for you.

I didn't think ACAS was the terrible album about half on here thought it was and I think Raise Your Fist is really good especially Freedom (The Elected of the 80's!) and side 2.

Sure ACAS & RYFAY not up there with 1971-75 Alice Cooper or From The Inside but Welcome 2 My Nightmare and the return of Bob Ezrin put Alice artistically back at the top, it makes you wonder how good other albums by Alice that he didn't produce could have been? Though I love Muscle of Love & From The Inside which he didn't produce.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun May 13, 2012 2:57 pm

I prefer RYFAY over ACS by a long shot. Raise Your Fist in Yell was Alice's second best 80's album, in my opinion, behind Dada. I would argue if MCA had pushed the song "Freedom" a little bit harder, it could have been a hit during that time period. There really is some great material on RYFAY, especially the second half of the album. I like just about everything Alice has ever done but ACAS is the one more recent Alice album, I never listen to.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun May 13, 2012 5:50 pm

RYFAY by far.

It's not a perfect album by any stretch, but the high points on it are vastly superior to anything on ACAS.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun May 13, 2012 10:20 pm

I have to raise my fist on this one.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 pm

> RYFAY by far.

It's not a perfect album by any stretch, but the high points on it are vastly superior to anything on ACAS.

I agree. RYFAY had intensity, something ACAS lacked, even though the storyline approach was more refined on ACAS. The songwriting and production value wasn't great for 2008 standards.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 am

RYFAY BY FAR...I dig every song on this effort, front to back. GREAT CD wish he would do another one like this. But now that he is born again I highly doubt he will.

sickthing
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sickthing » Mon May 14, 2012 10:26 am

I prefer RYFAY. ACAS sounds very cheesy. The idea sounded interesting in the beginning, but the execution leaves much to be desired.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon May 14, 2012 2:16 pm

RYFAY for me - by a country mile! I think it is a GREAT metal album (much better than Constrictor); one of Alice's stronger efforts from 1986 - 2000 in actual fact, and certainly more enjoyable than ACAS. This is my opinion.

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Mon May 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Alice Cooper, you've been accused of mass mental cruelty...
How do you plead? Guilty! :headcutoff:
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:27 pm

RYFAY period...its my all time favorite Cooper album...Freedom is my favorite song of all time....the trilogy is one of the creepiest sagas Alice has ever done...with beautiful lyrics like "Some people call me the Ripper...stole my modus operandi from the movie screen...she's just a celluloid stripper...just another bloody player in my splatterfield dream." "Blood seeped in, the soil from the knife in her chest." or "In my eyes blood drops look like roses on white lace..."

ACAS is still a personal favorite of mine but both are ones that Alice would perform more songs from live...always wanted him to do Catch Me If You Can (my favorite song from ACAS) and of course, bring back any song from RYFAY.
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon May 14, 2012 6:29 pm

>But now that he is born again I highly doubt he will.

Why is that an obstacle?

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>But now that he is born again I highly doubt he will.

Why is that an obstacle?

> while talking abot his faith, the audio version of Golf Monster heard Alice say that there were certain songs he will never play due the content : (Trash...Spark in the dark etc; I was assuimg (Which is wrong...I know) That some of RYFAY would be linked to that. He doesnt aknowledge the record in any interviews. It is almost as if "Raise" doesnt exsist. He never plays anything off of it live. So I was assuming. Not good to do. I really wish he would play some of it though. I know you were there for that time period Andy. What does the Coop think of that Effort...? Just wondering.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

>That some of RYFAY would be linked to that. He doesnt aknowledge the record in any interviews. It is almost as if "Raise" doesnt exsist.

Maybe no - one asks him about it.

>He never plays anything off of it live.

It is a good album and it's better than "Constrictor" but it's hardly a classic or anything.

>I know you were there for that time period Andy. What does the Coop think of that Effort...? Just wondering.

At the time he really liked it (I'm almost certain that is still the case).