RYFAY Vs. ACAS

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: RYFAY Vs. ACAS

Post by Marcelocooper » Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 pm

>He never plays anything off of it live.

It is a good album and it's better than "Constrictor" but it's hardly a classic or anything.

I might be wrong here, but I guess Freedom has everything to be played live. Everyone i know hat likes Alice thinks this is one of his best songs (of course that does not reflect everyones opinion, it's just what I usually hear on my friends circle and some other places), some even put it along with poison, which is probably his biggest hit today. Not a classic, but I guess it has everything to be one, if Alice gave it more attention. Again, not that I deagree with you, just my point of view.

>I know you were there for that time period Andy. What does the Coop think of that Effort...? Just wondering.

At the time he really liked it (I'm almost certain that is still the case).

Well, i really hope he plays some ofmthe songs live again!!
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon May 14, 2012 11:21 pm

I don't think Alice will play any of those songs from either of those 2 albums, unfortunately. I like RYFAY cause it doesn't try too hard to be anything more than what it is...a good ol fashioned hard rock - horror/humour album with an awesome beat that doesn't stop. Even gail proves to be an intense song in the second half, considering it starts off very errie and slow.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue May 15, 2012 1:38 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I know you were there for that time period Andy. What does the Coop think of that Effort...? Just wondering.

I've heard him speak highly of it myself through the show. With that said, it so happens I stumbled across this posting a month or two ago from Hunter's old mailing list (an interesting read for anyone who has never seen it before: http://www.pmas.process.com/scripts/mxa ... SickThings ) which may or may not mean anything:

I had the dubious honor of spending some time with Alice after the
"Operation Rock n Roll" show here in Baltimore and even he admits that
"Fist" wasn't what he had hoped it would be. His relationship with MCA at
the time was not very good and it seems they guided his hands more than
he would have liked. Alice did say that he was fond of "Roses On White
Lace" however.

But obviously that's one person's account, and that was 20 years ago too!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue May 15, 2012 2:26 am

I just wanted to add that Alice played "Trash" on one of his fairly recent tours and I know he has done "Bed of Nails" overseas, so it seems there aren't many songs, if any at all, that Alice is unwilling to play.

I always thought "Freedom" had the potential to be a big hit, but MCA kind of dropped the ball on that one.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:35 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>That some of RYFAY would be linked to that. He doesnt aknowledge the record in any interviews. It is almost as if "Raise" doesnt exsist.

Maybe no - one asks him about it.

>He never plays anything off of it live.

It is a good album and it's better than "Constrictor" but it's hardly a classic or anything.

>I know you were there for that time period Andy. What does the Coop think of that Effort...? Just wondering.

I have never met Alice but there are RYFAY question's I would like to ask. That's true...No ones has ever posted questions about Raise asked or answered.
I agree much better than constrictor...It has become a classic to me for sure.

Thanks for responding Andy. :clap:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue May 15, 2012 9:39 am

>but I guess Freedom has everything to be played live.

That may be true but you can probably say that about quite a few songs that don't get performed. As has been discussed before, it just isn't always going to be practical for everyone's favourite song or songs to be performed as there are so many to choose from.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue May 15, 2012 9:41 am

>and even he admits that "Fist" wasn't what he had hoped it would be.

I think he would have been referring to the relative lack of promotion.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue May 15, 2012 11:05 am

I don't see what there is in RYFAY that could compromise his Christian faith. Horror themes are horror themes (as in ACAS) and have little to do with Christian doctrine and dogma.In fact, isn't Prince of Darkness about the Devil? A song that hardly celebrates this 'character'!

Trash, on the other hand, is a different matter; sexual promiscuity is most definately a sin in Christianity.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Wed May 16, 2012 12:19 am

"I don't see what there is in RYFAY that could compromise his Christian faith. Horror themes are horror themes (as in ACAS) and have little to do with Christian doctrine and dogma.In fact, isn't Prince of Darkness about the Devil? A song that hardly celebrates this 'character'!

Trash, on the other hand, is a different matter; sexual promiscuity is most definately a sin in Christianity."

I am not sure this is that big of a concern. When Alice starting becoming more "active" or "open" with his faith, it seems like he was a bit more concerned about what songs to perform, and even voiced some qualms about performing certain songs. However, without presuming to know his reasoning, it seems like he has grown more comfortable with the concept of his onstage persona performing any song in his catalog. Alice becomes a quasi-fictionalized character at times so it is an expression of this character, and very often, this Alice is actually taking on an additional character of the protagonist in any song.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed May 16, 2012 7:52 am

I don't believe he has grown comfortable with certain songs on Trash. For example, 'Spark in the Dark' can never happen live for Alice unless he loses his faith. Even if you put something like that in the context of a 'morality play' (which he does with other themes), I don't believe he would be comfortable even just singing those lyrics. That's my take on it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 am

>For example, 'Spark in the Dark' can never happen live for Alice unless he loses his faith.

That is a definitive statement.

> I don't believe he would be comfortable even just singing those lyrics.

How do you explain "Muscle Of Love", "Cold Ethyl", "Nurse Rozetta", "Bed Of Nails", "Feed My Frankenstein" and "(In Touch With) Your Feminine Side", all of which have been performed quite recently, then? In 1996 he said he wouldn't perform "Trash" again but he did.

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Post by departmentofyouth » Wed May 16, 2012 1:59 pm

I have a huge soft spot for the RYFAY period in Alice's career. Back in '87, the LP & Tour fit well into my 15 year Horror/Metal/Punk soaked brain. If Constrictor was produced the same, it would be almost as good.

I still love ACAS for different reasons. Aside from "Vengeance.." & "...Feminine Side", I would love to have heard "I Know Where You Live", "Wake The Dead", "Catch Me If You Can" & "I Am The Spider" performed live.

:alice:
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 am

>For example, 'Spark in the Dark' can never happen live for Alice unless he loses his faith.

That is a definitive statement.

> I don't believe he would be comfortable even just singing those lyrics.

How do you explain "Muscle Of Love", "Cold Ethyl", "Nurse Rozetta", "Bed Of Nails", "Feed My Frankenstein" and "(In Touch With) Your Feminine Side", all of which have been performed quite recently, then? In 1996 he said he wouldn't perform "Trash" again but he did.
Excellent point Andy! Just what do we know??

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Thu May 17, 2012 3:03 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>but I guess Freedom has everything to be played live.

That may be true but you can probably say that about quite a few songs that don't get performed. As has been discussed before, it just isn't always going to be practical for everyone's favourite song or songs to be performed as there are so many to choose from.
I agree with that, have stated it myself lots of times. But I'm not saying it for personal preferences, as Freedom isn't my favorite even from that album. I just think this particular song is like "Hey Stoopid", which Alice doesn't play constantly, but when he did play it, it was probably the one with the biggest public response (At list here in São Paulo). Of course this is just personal opinion, but I think this is the case because everyone I know that likes Alice knows this song (even those who aren't that much of a fan and doesn't listen to every music Alice has ever made).
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu May 17, 2012 11:07 pm

I really don't like either album and personally consider them the two weakest out of his entire canon. I only give them a play to make sure that I'm not doing them a dis-service but then I reasure myself that I'm not. If I was to choose one over the other I would give the nod to ACAS for Vengance and Killed by love.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri May 18, 2012 3:08 am

Love "Chop chop chop" "Time to Kill" "Gail" & "Roses" The lame drum machines on Constrictor always ruined that album for me. A few good tunes which were ruined by the drum machines. Saw Alice on both tours (Constrictor & Raise) and the live versions from Constrictor were killer with Ken K. Mary on drums.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:56 am

Couldnt have said it better my self Mr. BL

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri May 18, 2012 3:08 pm

I prefer RYFAY much more then ACAS.
I think ACAS is by far Alice's weakest album in years!!
The concept was good but they ruined it.

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Fri May 18, 2012 4:35 pm

I don't know... I will have to listen again.
I didn't listen to any Alice's albums for quite a while. All I listen to, is the radio show. I miss the songs.
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Fri May 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Greenie wrote:I don't know... I will have to listen again.
I didn't listen to any Alice's albums for quite a while. All I listen to, is the radio show. I miss the songs.
Don't get me wrong... It's been more than two years, that I listen to Alice's radio show, so into that show... that... never mind...
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!