Cover songs

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Cover songs

Post by tuneylune » Fri May 04, 2012 10:08 am

Been listening to a lot of AC while driving the last couple of weeks (really the best way to hear an album) and after noticing the cover songs, decided to check out the originals and compare (thank you YouTube and TIME-LIFE collections).
"Pretty Ballerina"-Left Banke. Really like this and before I found out it was a cover, thought it was about Sheryl. Like both versions.
"Hello Hurray"-originally done by Rolf Kemp who wrote the song and also covered by Judy Collins, but the Billion Dollar Babies truly made it their own.
"Talk Talk"-Music Machine. LOVE the version from FLUSH THE FASHION and this is pretty good too.
"7 and 7 is"-Love. Like the SPECIAL FORCES version and Arthur Lee sounds very Coop like on this and it has an extended coda too.
"Because"-The Beatles. Prefer the original version as I was heartily sick of the Bee Gees by this point, Alice sounds like Snidely Whiplash and the movie is really best forgotten.
"Ubangi Stomp"-Jerry Lee Lewis. One of my faves off LACE AND WHISKEY (Coop sounds like Elvis Presley) and the JLL version is not bad either.
"I'm Always Chasing Rainbows"-Heard versions from Perry Como (very similar to the one from HELL) and Sammy Davis Jr. Don't particularly care for the song or most of the LP.
"Hitch Hike"-Marvin Gaye and also The Rolling Stones. Prefer the Spiders version by a mile.
"Sun Arise"-Rolf Harris. The Coopers take this also. Harris's version sounds a lot like a slowed down Men at Work.
"I'm a Boy" and "My Generation"-The Who. Prefer the originals, although Alice's take on "Boy" is still pretty good.
"Fire"-Jimi Hendrix. Like Alices's version, but still prefer the original. Not yet heard the Arthur Brown cover.

"Hey Bulldog"-The Beatles. Not bad version with Duff, Steve Vai and Micky Dee, but not crazy about the song in general, so let's give Coop the nod.
"Herod's Song"-JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR- Have heard other versions of this and think Alice does a good job.
"I've Got a Line on You"-Spirit. Like their version, but prefer Alice's version.
"The Lady is a Tramp"-Frank Sinatra. Really no contest here, the version in the beginning of GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN, ALICE COOPER is pretty funny, although it might have been cool to hear "The Chairman of the Board" yell out "Build the stage! Build OUR stage!"
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Cover songs

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 pm

>Not yet heard the Arthur Brown cover

That is an original composition.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm

"we've Gotta Get Out Of This Place"- The Animals. This was a good cover as well. speed up a bit with a more modern rock feel

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Fri May 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Theres also Pretty Ballarina, don't know who made the original version though.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 04, 2012 10:17 pm

>Theres also Pretty Ballarina, don't know who made the original version though.

The post from luneytune has that information.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Sat May 05, 2012 2:38 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Theres also Pretty Ballarina, don't know who made the original version though.

The post from luneytune has that information.
Sorry, was posting at work and didn't see it.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat May 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Tony Bennett's version of Chasing Rainbows is excellent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0jMUKDN ... ata_player
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat May 05, 2012 4:57 pm

not forgetting the Leonard Bernstein/ Stephen Sondheim Jets Song from West Side Story great version by Alice Cooper and Zodiac Mindwarp's Feed My Frankenstein which with the slight change of lyric, Alice vocal and Vai/Satriani guitar battle, blew the original away!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat May 05, 2012 5:22 pm

how could we forget The Hollywood Stars and Escape!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoUbKREw ... ata_player

Alice version better change of lyric and the Hunter/Wagner guitars take the song to another level

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat May 05, 2012 6:12 pm

I mentioned this a few months back, but the writer of Clones David Carron who sadly died a few years back had his song brought to the attention of Alice by Davey Johnstone and I have since found a recorded version by David Carron

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... ttom_links

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Sat May 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I much prefer Alice's version of Clones. I lasted about 10 seconds of David Carron's version.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon May 07, 2012 3:54 pm

I love Clones, one of my fav AC songs but I have to say I really like that version, very punky!!

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Mon May 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Never heard Garland's version of "I'm always chasing..." before, it is quite spectacular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taVYJgrr ... re=related

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon May 07, 2012 6:15 pm

[quote="steven_crayn"]I mentioned this a few months back, but the writer of Clones David Carron who sadly died a few years back had his song brought to the attention of Alice by Davey Johnstone and I have since found a recorded version by David Carron

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... ttom_links[/quote]

David Carron sounded very much like a lady!(?)

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue May 08, 2012 2:43 am

scotty wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:I mentioned this a few months back, but the writer of Clones David Carron who sadly died a few years back had his song brought to the attention of Alice by Davey Johnstone and I have since found a recorded version by David Carron

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... ttom_links

David Carron sounded very much like a lady!(?)

I think it is a lady who sings this!!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 am

The version of Jailhouse rock on the rock and roll carnival tour was not only spot on but was hilarious with the gold lame jacket and big sunglass's. :blues: