Alice's Guitarists

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Alice's Guitarists

Post by recoop » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:01 pm

Reading excellent recent article on this site re Steve Hunter and then considering the recordings/live shows that he and Dick Wagner have been involved in it shows (imo) that Alice is drawn to great guitarists in solo years (Davey Johnstone and many others too)-one of the things that drew me to orig AC group was the screeching guitars and this in a different form has been maintained in solo years-even on Zipper- so I'm wondering what Alice is looking for in guitarists when he chooses them and thinking about Alice's garage leanings, what about involving Jack White/White Stripes fame-not usually into guest appearances but the raw sound of his guitar with Alice's vocals would seem to em to be a good match...any thoughts on Alice's guitarist requirements and any others(including opinions re a Mr White connection) who would suit AC's style?
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Alice's Guitarists

Post by James1981 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:18 pm

I think alice goes for more straight ahead rock n roll sort of dudes rather than the flashy show off guys. The sort of guitarists who understand its also what you don't play that can make a song. Saying that I also think that Alice and Steve Vai sound awesome together and I would love to hear them do more. John 5 is also another flashy player who I think would work well with Alice.
Boomshanka

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Interesting response James..wonder if you could say a little more about how you define flashy..do you mean just the playing or the attitude or both..imo sometimes guitarists who front bands of course have to be more up front (but then might have to sink back when they have a lead singer-especially AC).. I would be interested in Vai with AC too..do you think that Jack White would be too flashy?..it is often alleged that there is an ongoing battle for attention in many bands between Lead Singer and Guitarist..interested in your opinion as I have not considered this aspect
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:43 pm

I mean flashy in the playing department as in the ones who try to fit In a million notes where only one is needed. I don't mind showmen and people with lots of attitude though as it probably forces the singer to up his game to get more attention. Jack White I wouldn't call flashy but I'm not really keen on his tone or style of playing. Not sure if it would like to see him play with Alice, apart from the obvious media attention it would get him.
Boomshanka

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed May 02, 2012 1:55 pm

With respect to Alice solo: I liked Davey Johnstone actually, Reb Beach and Ryan Roxie. I think this Hunter/Wagner thing is a little overblown. Although Wagner's solo on Pass the Gun Around, and Hunter's solo on I am Made of You were/are both sublime.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Gunner wrote:With respect to Alice solo: I liked Davey Johnstone actually, Reb Beach and Ryan Roxie. I think this Hunter/Wagner thing is a little overblown. Although Wagner's solo on Pass the Gun Around, and Hunter's solo on I am Made of You were/are both sublime.
Don't discount the songwriting contributions of some of the players mentioned.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 02, 2012 6:21 pm

>any thoughts on Alice's guitarist requirements and any others(including opinions re a Mr White connection)

As a matter of fact, Alice is a big admirer of that particular gentleman, so it's interesting that you came up with that suggestion.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri May 04, 2012 6:48 am

Seven Nation Army by Jack and his White Stripes Alice chose as one of his favourite songs on a radio interview a few years back.

He loves great guitar playing in every aspect and has an eclectic taste, from Tony Peluso's classic melodic solo on The Carpenters 'Goodbye To Love' which he wanted Steve Hunter to come up with something similar on 'I Am Made Of You', to Steve Vai (he wanted him for his Trash tour and it was Vai who recommended Al Pitrelli when Alice asked him, "I know you're taken (Vai was with Whitesnake at the time) but who's the next best?". 

He also loves stuff in the 'middle of the neck' and doesn't always think screaming high notes are the order of the day, there was an interview when he mentioned this.

He also loved the fact the Hunter/Wagner partnership and what they were playing, was the reason why they were the two best American guitarists of their time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Og4hXq ... ata_player
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue May 08, 2012 3:41 am

Nice topic. Uriah Heep's Mike Pinera did some cool stuff on Special Forces & Zipper. Hunter\ Wagner would be anyone's dream duo, however Buxton\ Bruce were amazing (and so underrated). How about Mike's playing on Hard Hearted Alice & Glen's perfect "nervous" solos on You Drive me Nervous? For as much as I love Alice 1975 to present, nothing compares to the original band.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:Nice topic. Uriah Heep's Mike Pinera did some cool stuff on Special Forces & Zipper.
You mean Iron Butterfly surely. Pinera never played for Heep that I am aware of.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue May 08, 2012 3:59 pm

>How about Mike's playing on Hard Hearted Alice

It might be Mick Mashbir as he also performed on that track.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue May 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:Nice topic. Uriah Heep's Mike Pinera did some cool stuff on Special Forces & Zipper. Hunter\ Wagner would be anyone's dream duo, however Buxton\ Bruce were amazing (and so underrated). How about Mike's playing on Hard Hearted Alice & Glen's perfect "nervous" solos on You Drive me Nervous? For as much as I love Alice 1975 to present, nothing compares to the original band.
Pinera & Nitzinger were great on the Special Forces tour, the first 3 Alice gigs I saw they really kicked ass! (Pinera teamed up with Ted Nugent for "The Guitar Battle of the Century" prior to working with Alice)

Bruce/Buxton like you say underrated, even with the addition of session men like Hunter/Wagner and others on some of those recorded songs during the ACG.

You Drive Me Nervous sensational use of feedback and harmony, real Killer stuff!

As Andy pointed out, Mick Mashbir was another who played on the Muscle Of Love album (as did Dick Wagner) he was important in ACG history, with the BDB Tour and album, though Steve Hunter played more solos than anyone else on the BDB album, sensational guitar work!

Bruce/Buxton & Hunter/Wagner for me still the best.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 am

You guys ever notice how great Glen "faked" Derringer's "Wheels" solo for the band's video? Looks like Glen could have done it himself. Reminds me of how great Monkee Mike Nesmith "faked" Louie Shelton's great solos on "Valleri". (If you're old enough like me to remember that!)

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 am

Mr. Bluelegs, take a bow. For me also, NOTHING compares to the original band. They were not technically the most proficient musicians, but they sounded great together and chemistry can often triumph over chops and those albums are still my favorites of everything Alice has done.
I do also enjoy the Wagner/Hunter era, thought Davey Johnstone brought a lot to the table and shame he was not with Alice longer. Other good axmen include Pete Friesen, Al Pitrelli and probably my favorite of the latter day players is Ryan Roxie. Always looked like he was having fun, played well and loved watching him twirl like a dervish,
"I need everything the world owes me..."

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Post by departmentofyouth » Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Alice has definitely had a lot of great guitarists come and go over the years.

The Roxie/Dover duo was definitely my fave since the classic Bruce/Buxton and Hunter/Wagner era's. In my opinion, those guys really seemed to have brought back more of a classic vibe/feel to the AGC/solo material from the 70's, during their live sets. Glad at least Ryan is back this summer!

:alice:
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:48 pm

departmentofyouth wrote:Alice has definitely had a lot of great guitarists come and go over the years.

The Roxie/Dover duo was definitely my fave since the classic Bruce/Buxton and Hunter/Wagner era's. In my opinion, those guys really seemed to have brought back more of a classic vibe/feel to the AGC/solo material from the 70's, during their live sets. Glad at least Ryan is back this summer!

:alice:
Agree with you 100% about the Roxie/Dover partnership.
Boomshanka