Popular albums you can't get into

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Popular albums you can't get into

Post by tuneylune » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:23 am

I was pleased as punch when "Poison" became a huge hit and TRASH sold like gangbusters, but I never could get into it. Listened to it again and just find it very forced, leaning into Motley Crue/KISS subject matter when he had done it years earlier and better on MUSCLE OF LOVE. I was working with a bunch of 20 somethings who loved it, especially "Only My Heart Talkin'" (which I find embarrassing hearing him trying to imitate Steven Tyler towards the end). If nothing else, a couple of them picked up some of the earlier material and started the collection process, so some good was done there.
EYES OF ALICE COOPER was another one that just did not grab me. Of all his albums, it seems very rushed to me and needs a couple of songs removed. Was happy he got some good reviews on this, although I laughed like hell when some genius commented that it was "...his best album since LOVE IT TO DEATH", ::((: which is a lot of hooey. Someone throw that guy into The Quiet Room!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Popular albums you can't get into

Post by dadascot » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 am

Another good question although I suppose the big debate here is what constitutes 'a popular album' or else it will just be another I like this era, I hate that era! I loved trash when it came out having been an Alice fan for over ten years at the point. I know it has strong critics on here but I recently gave it another good listning to and I still love it. It was of it's time but still stands up with the Alice sneer and humour, and IMO has much better guitar work than the previous two albums. If constrictor is counted as a popular album then I would say that is the one that I just can't get into, too many swooping guitar solo's for no good reason. But then again I'm the guy who just can't get into Sgt. Peppers album no matter how much I listen to it and that's one of Alice's favourite albums.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:36 am

Yep, I'm not too crazy about those two either, although I like CONSTRICTOR a little more than RAISE YOUR FIST AND YELL. On CONSTRICTOR, at least he was rocking out, but I have to agree with you, that swooping, likkity-split Eddie Van Halen style just was not right for old Snake Eyes. Was a good tour, saw two shows. On RYFAY, it seems he is trying too hard to be the "Evil Alice" and most of it seems forced.
One thing for sure, even if the album is not up to your standards, the tour behind it will always be good :clap:
Lastly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds SGT. PEPPER one of, if not the most overrated album ever. Love The Beatles, but have never gotten this.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Popular Alice albums I could not get into, for me are: Trash and Welcome To My Nightmare (even the second one).

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:27 pm

I agree with the original poster on Trash - I was happy for the success ensuring more albums and tours, but hair metal is not my bag. I'll disagree on TEOAC - I don't think that album was popular, certainly not with the general public and only the most sycophantic of fans liked it.

Hey Stoopid had its' moments but I couldn't get into it as a whole - and I think that albums was pretty popular.

I suppose one would have to define popular, by my count

B$B
WTMN
Killer
LiTD
SO
GH
Trash
... very popular

FTF
FTI
GTH
Hey Stoopid
TLT
W2MN
...popular enough

MoL
L&W
Constrictor
RYFAY
... sorta, kinda

the rest is on a sliding scale of obscurity

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

>certainly not with the general public and only the most sycophantic of fans liked it.

You really must be careful and not describe people as "sycophantic" just because you don't like something that they do.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>certainly not with the general public and only the most sycophantic of fans liked it.

You really must be careful and not describe people as "sycophantic" just because you don't like something that they do.
Careful eh? Is Uncle Alice going to come in the middle of the night and kill my puppy?

How about blind admiration then or misplaced loyalty, does that work for you?

Did TEOAC receive a Gold or Platinum Award in the States or Canada or Silver/Gold/Platinum in England. If it did then I stand corrected that it was a popular album, if it didn't then I'm right in saying it wasn't a popular album.

Anyone saying TEOAC or Dirty Diamonds are GREAT Alice Cooper albums, well I'll just say I doubt their ability to recognize a poor AC album even if it came up and bit them on the arse.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 pm

>Careful eh? Is Uncle Alice going to come in the middle of the night and kill my puppy?

I know you're not as stupid as you sound, so I'll take that as probably the worst joke you've ever tried to make on this board. I didn't say anything about "Uncle Alice" as you know. My point (and you know this because you've been caught red - handed and so you're trying to deflect the attention from your statement) is that you've just insulted every person on this board who happens to like that album. Just think about that for a moment and consider what someone who likes that album thinks about what you said about them, just because they like an album that you don't.

>How about blind admiration then or misplaced loyalty, does that work for you?

That is equally as insulting. I'm sure everyone here who likes that album just LOVES being described like that by you but go ahead - do continue to condemn yourself with your own words.

>Did TEOAC receive a Gold or Platinum Award in the States or Canada or Silver/Gold/Platinum in England.

Did I say it did? Did EVERY album that YOU happen to like "receive a Gold or Platinum Award"? Are you saying there are no albums that you like which were commercial failures? Or do you only like albums that are a commercial success? You're pretending to have missed the point of the thread, but it's clear from your post that you did not. Popularity is not the same as commercial success - your OWN post pointed that out. If "a Gold or Platinum Award" is the only thing that matters, then to follow your logic, you must think The Archies made a better album than the one you mentioned because they sold more copies of their album. Why are you trying to deflect attention away from your crass statement?

>If it did then I stand corrected that it was a popular album, if it didn't then I'm right in saying it wasn't a popular album.

Again, you're trying to change the subject - I am not challenging you on whether "it was a popular album" or not. I'm challenging your description of anyone here who likes it.

>Anyone saying TEOAC or Dirty Diamonds are GREAT Alice Cooper albums, well I'll just say I doubt their ability to recognize a poor AC album even if it came up and bit them on the arse.

At least that would be slightly less insulting than calling them "sycophantic". At least you're honest and we now know that you don't respect other people's personal tastes. What a nasty, twisted individual you appear to be.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Or to put it another way, I really liked TEOAC, and I am certainly not a sycophantic fan. I think you'll find quite a few posts where I have disliked, or disagreed with Alice's decisions, so that alone disproves your statement. But while I really liked that album I wouldn't have filed it under 'popular'in the way it was meant in this thread.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:31 am

andy - dude, relax. It's just an opinion, loving two of the most boring and unimaginative AC records does not make anyone a bad person, and people shouldn't take mine or anyone else's opinion personally. Public forums are for discussion and opinion as well as AC minutiae. The thread was about popular albums you can't get into and the o/p brought up TEOAC, so I thought it was a good opportunity to knock a poor (and unpopular) album. Anyone who really likes the album - fine, enjoy it, if it gives you pleasure I'm all for it and there's no gd way anything anyone says should get in the way of your good time.

I think it was a crap album but so what? I think those early eighties albums were awesome and NONE of my high school friends would let me get away with playing SF or ZCS at a party or in the car. I didn't let that discourage me from wearing out those albums.

Sorry tuneylune for the detour in the thread back on topic.

Trash - popular yes but I'm lukewarm to it

conversely

EA/MoL/SF/ZCS/Dada - not popular luv luv luv those records

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am

>andy - dude, relax. It's just an opinion, loving two of the most boring and unimaginative AC records does not make anyone a bad person,

That’s one of the worst piece of back – pedalling even by your standards. I never said anything about “a bad person” at all. I’m questioning your use of the word “sycophantic”. I hope you’re not trying to pretend you never made that statement.

>and people shouldn't take mine or anyone else's opinion personally.

So you’re saying that making a detrimental statement publicly about someone is not to be taken “personally” then.

> Public forums are for discussion and opinion as well as AC minutiae.

I agree. Where does making detrimental statements about the character of people you don’t know come into it?

>The thread was about popular albums you can't get into and the o/p brought up TEOAC, so I thought it was a good opportunity to knock a poor (and unpopular) album.

But you did more than that though. You went further attacked the people who like it. Besides, who says it’s “unpopular”? For all you know, the majority of people who have heard it may like it, so in relation to those people, it isn’t “unpopular”. You’re confusing a lack of commercial success (which I think is what tuneylune was referring to) with popularity amongst those who have heard it.

>I think it was a crap album but so what?

Exactly, but you didn’t stop there though. You went beyond that.

>I think those early eighties albums were awesome and NONE of my high school friends would let me get away with playing SF or ZCS at a party or in the car.

Did they call you “sycophantic” or accuse you of having ”blind admiration” or “misplaced loyalty”?

>Sorry tuneylune for the detour in the thread back on topic.

I don't think you owe tuneylune an apology. How about an apology for dadascot who says he likes that album? After all, you did refer to him as "sycophantic".

>EA/MoL/SF/ZCS/Dada - not popular luv luv luv those records

According to you, that makes you “sycophantic” then.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>andy - dude, relax. It's just an opinion, loving two of the most boring and unimaginative AC records does not make anyone a bad person,

That’s one of the worst piece of back – pedalling even by your standards. I never said anything about “a bad person” at all. I’m questioning your use of the word “sycophantic”. I hope you’re not trying to pretend you never made that statement.

>and people shouldn't take mine or anyone else's opinion personally.

So you’re saying that making a detrimental statement publicly about someone is not to be taken “personally” then.

> Public forums are for discussion and opinion as well as AC minutiae.

I agree. Where does making detrimental statements about the character of people you don’t know come into it?

>The thread was about popular albums you can't get into and the o/p brought up TEOAC, so I thought it was a good opportunity to knock a poor (and unpopular) album.

But you did more than that though. You went further attacked the people who like it. Besides, who says it’s “unpopular”? For all you know, the majority of people who have heard it may like it, so in relation to those people, it isn’t “unpopular”. You’re confusing a lack of commercial success (which I think is what tuneylune was referring to) with popularity amongst those who have heard it.

>I think it was a crap album but so what?

Exactly, but you didn’t stop there though. You went beyond that.

>I think those early eighties albums were awesome and NONE of my high school friends would let me get away with playing SF or ZCS at a party or in the car.

Did they call you “sycophantic” or accuse you of having ”blind admiration” or “misplaced loyalty”?

>Sorry tuneylune for the detour in the thread back on topic.

I don't think you owe tuneylune an apology. How about an apology for dadascot who says he likes that album? After all, you did refer to him as "sycophantic".

>EA/MoL/SF/ZCS/Dada - not popular luv luv luv those records

According to you, that makes you “sycophantic” then.
i) no back pedalling, when I used the word sycophantic, it's strictly in regards to AC fandom not in anyone's personal life outside of the messageboard. Some people love or defend everything Alice does and try to shut down contrarian opinion and it comes across as sycophantic - yeah I'm looking straight at you amuk. How you are in "real" life is not what I'm commenting on - I think most people understand that

ii) I was called variations of fanboi I suppose - all in a good natured ribbing amongst friends

iii) I don't think you have the ability or you're entirely unwilling to discern between being a fan and being a fanboi. Loving unpopular albums doesn't necessarily make you a disciple.

I thought those eighties albums were unique, humorous, off-kilter and that made them interesting. The Alice persona was evolving, there seemed to be artistic merit.

The Alice we see in TEOAC is just a one dimensional version of the classic Alice - and the music/lyrics reflect that.

Oh and one last thing, I've said all I need to say, so have your last word amuk, as you always seem to insist upon, but I won't respond - even if you make it super-duper insulting. :evil:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:22 pm

>no back pedalling, when I used the word sycophantic, it's strictly in regards to AC fandom not in anyone's personal life

I never said anything about "anyone's personal life" though and I never claimed that you did either.

> Some people love or defend everything Alice does and try to shut down contrarian opinion and it comes across as sycophantic

So why not wait until you have an example of that before making that claim rather than picking on someone who likes an album that you don't.

> yeah I'm looking straight at you amuk.

Those are pretty big accusations to make. Are you able to provide evidence? You don't know what I think about everything concerning Alice and you wouldn't be expected to either.

> How you are in "real" life is not what I'm commenting on -

Did I say you did?

>ii) I was called variations of fanboi I suppose - all in a good natured ribbing amongst friends

You didn't answer the question. Did they call you "sycophantic"? Or was "sycophantic" supposed to be "a good natured ribbing amongst friends" because if it was, why not say so?

> I don't think you have the ability or you're entirely unwilling to discern between being a fan and being a fanboi.

Again, you're not in a position to make that assessment. I've posted several times that I didn't particularly enjoy "Along Came A Spider" for example. Does that mean I'm not a "fanboi" or "sycophantic"? By the way, love the hip, crazy spelling.

>Loving unpopular albums doesn't necessarily make you a disciple.

Who said it did? What is your point?

>I thought those eighties albums were unique, humorous, off-kilter and that made them interesting.

Does that make you "sycophantic"? I liked a lot of them as well. Does that make me "sycophantic"?

>The Alice we see in TEOAC is just a one dimensional version of the classic Alice - and the music/lyrics reflect that.

That may be true or it may not be. That doesn't mean someone is "sycophantic" for liking it though.

>Oh and one last thing, I've said all I need to say, so have your last word amuk, as you always seem to insist upon,

Well, logic and reason tend to have the "last word". It's funny how things work out like that.

> but I won't respond - even if you make it super-duper insulting.

I don't think I've ever been "super-duper insulting" to anyone (except maybe Gunner), but I certainly won't be calling you "sycophantic" though, if that's what you mean. That would be "super-duper insulting".

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 pm

I think you were super duper insulting when you referred to Toronto bob as a 'nasty twisted individual'

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:25 pm

>I think you were super duper insulting when you referred to Toronto bob as a 'nasty twisted individual'

As I said before, you need to read things a bit more carefully. I said he appeared to be so not that he was and as I said before, I stand by that. Did you feel he was "insulting" you when he described you as "sycophantic"?

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 am

I can't really get into constrictor, zipper catches skin or ACAS. I absolutely love TEOAC and dirty diamonds though. The fact that Toronto Bob would then say that I don't have the ability to recognise a good AC album if it bit me on the arse is perhaps a little insulting.
Boomshanka

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 am

Hey Stoopid and Special Forces are 2 I couldn't get into

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Tue May 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Welcome 2 my nightmare. I really think it should have been called The nightshift, like it was supposed to be.
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Greenie wrote:Welcome 2 my nightmare. I really think it should have been called The nightshift, like it was supposed to be.
The nightshift was a completely different project.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue May 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Si wrote:
Greenie wrote:Welcome 2 my nightmare. I really think it should have been called The nightshift, like it was supposed to be.
The nightshift was a completely different project.
Maybe this should be on a different thread, but since it's been brought up, does anyone know how many songs from the nightshift project were completed and how many, if any, finished up on welcome 2??