Maybe no W2MN??

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Re: Maybe no W2MN??

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Think it was David Bowie who toured but did not play his greatest hits from late 60's and 70's, (But correct me if i am wrong). What if Alice only played songs from Brutal Planet onwards? How many diehard fans would like that? And how many casual fans who expect the classics would be disappointed?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:23 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I would like to point out that Madonna is usually fairly good with including songs from the album the tour is supporting.

What kind of reaction would you say the new material gets compared to the older material?
I can't really say as I never actually seen her live myself.
A_MichaelUK wrote:> Rock radio on the other hand have a tendency to play mostly classic songs by the artists even if they have a new album coming out,

That is also true, but, those “classic songs” are (in their own way) as well - known as the current hits of the day are. It is the audiences that are different and their expectations that are different.
I completely agree. However, do you think the audience expectations would be different if new albums and new songs by old artists were noticed more by classic rock radio?
A_MichaelUK wrote:>I, like most, would love to see a W2MN tour

It would be good to know what people mean by that, since people keep throwing that title around (which is natural). What would constitute that? Is there a minimum amount of new material that must be performed before that title can be an accurate description? Obviously, those are rhetorical questions.
Personally I would say it would be a tour that clearly supports the album, both in song choice and in stageshow. That and the fact that it would officially be annonced as the W2MN tour. I'm not saying it has to be radically different but something that reflects the album. Once again the Brutal Planet tour is a good example but even others like the Dirty Diamonds tour seem linked to the album they're supporting.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:53 pm

I don't know what my feelings are about the touring with Iron Maiden....But my friend and I are getting tickets this Sat 3-3 for 7-19

I just hope Alice gets a fair ammount of time to perform.

Ive been to a couple of shows where he wasnt the headliner first one was Operation Rock And Roll which was a very good show wich included a magic screen :clap: .......... and the second one was with the Scorpions ..pretty bare bones show still light out etc but was still fun.

Have to see what this one brings, Never seen Maiden not really that big on them though I like a few of their songs.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:01 pm

I could never get bored of seeing halo of flies performed live.
What James said.
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:06 pm

>I completely agree. However, do you think the audience expectations would be different if new albums and new songs by old artists were noticed more by classic rock radio?

It might depend on how good that particular recent material is.

>but even others like the Dirty Diamonds tour seem linked to the album they're supporting.

Even though, as I said, there were only two or three songs performed from it.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>but even others like the Dirty Diamonds tour seem linked to the album they're supporting.

Even though, as I said, there were only two or three songs performed from it.
Yes but in a way that sort of suited the stripped down nature of the album.

I think people want a big, theatrical W2MN tour simply because it was a big, theatrical album, not to mention being the follow up to one of the most defining Alice album and tour.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

> but in a way that sort of suited the stripped down nature of the album.

I don't think I see the logic in that. I can see what you mean if you meant the relatively stripped - down theatrics.

>I think people want a big, theatrical W2MN tour simply because it was a big, theatrical album, not to mention being the follow up to one of the most defining Alice album and tour.

Again, though, there seems to be a difference in what "big" means and in relation to what? In relation to an Alice Cooper show or to an Ed Sheeran show? To some people, unless there's four dancers, a 'magic screen' , a spider's - web, a big stage - set, costumes, theatrical lighting and a cyclops, then it doesn't count. To others, the last tour was sufficient. Depending on who you ask, you're going to get a different answer, which means Alice can't please everyone so therefore the only person he should please is himself, but some people seem to find that unacceptable.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 am

Just wanted to throw something in here:
Alice's live shows have been dominated by old music for years. The
formula is something like four songs off the new album and rest culled
from albums prior to and including 1976 (with slight deviations). And
this is not a bad thing. It would be nice if he acknowledged his body of
work between 1977 and 1983 but even without it, Alice's shows are the
best on the block.
This comes from a posting from 16 years ago on Hunter's fabulous archive of his Sickthings Mailing List (which launched 20 years ago for those keeping track.)

Not that I'm making a point, but it's funny that a post from 16 years ago just shows that isn't a new trend Alice is doing, for better or worse, or whatever (although since then Alice has acknowledged his late 70s/early 80s work in concert to some small extent.)

I think from now on all of my posts should simply be repostings of responses from Hunter's archive!

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 am

"..which means Alice can't please everyone so therefore the only person he should please is himself, but some people seem to find that unacceptable."Quote.

And in pleasing himself it seems he pleases the vast majority of the audience if the gigs I attend are anything to go by-at some moments it's a wonder the roof of the Manchester Apollo is still on.
At the risk of stating the obvious, perhaps in many ways the posters on this site are far removed from the typical attenders at Alice concerts.In audience demographic terms-it's not us he needs to please!!

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:> but in a way that sort of suited the stripped down nature of the album.

I don't think I see the logic in that. I can see what you mean if you meant the relatively stripped - down theatrics.
Yeah, I did mean the theatrics. But also DD never came across as a full album to me personally but rather a bunch of songs, so in that way I didn't mind that only a few of them were played live.
A_MichaelUK wrote:>I think people want a big, theatrical W2MN tour simply because it was a big, theatrical album, not to mention being the follow up to one of the most defining Alice album and tour.

Again, though, there seems to be a difference in what "big" means and in relation to what? In relation to an Alice Cooper show or to an Ed Sheeran show? To some people, unless there's four dancers, a 'magic screen' , a spider's - web, a big stage - set, costumes, theatrical lighting and a cyclops, then it doesn't count. To others, the last tour was sufficient. Depending on who you ask, you're going to get a different answer, which means Alice can't please everyone so therefore the only person he should please is himself, but some people seem to find that unacceptable.
Like I said earlier I don't think it has to be anything radically different but just something that reflects the album. The NMMNG tour was IMO obviously created to be a stand alone tour and it works perfectly for that purpose, it just doesn't read W2MN.

That said, I agree that the main thing is that Alice himself is pleased with what he does. And personally I just love to get a chance to see him on tour no matter what show he does.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:23 am

>perhaps in many ways the posters on this site are far removed from the typical attenders at Alice concerts.In audience demographic terms-it's not us he needs to please!!

That is exactly what I wrote.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Devon wrote: This comes from a posting from 16 years ago on Hunter's fabulous archive of his Sickthings Mailing List (which launched 20 years ago for those keeping track.)
I meant to mention that on my list and forgot. I first launched the list on January 24, 1992!
Not that I'm making a point, but it's funny that a post from 16 years ago just shows that isn't a new trend Alice is doing, for better or worse, or whatever (although since then Alice has acknowledged his late 70s/early 80s work in concert to some small extent.)
Yep!
I think from now on all of my posts should simply be repostings of responses from Hunter's archive!
8-)

Hunter

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Well now that the Iron Maiden shows are a lock for the summer, since we have no fall dates yet, could that be a continuation of the festival tours (i.e. No More Mr. Nice Guy tour 2) or will this slowly segue into Nightmare 2? Alice did say in the Rolling Stone article that Nightmare 2 would be next...Maybe Alice starts having the props and such put together during the summer and start doing rehearsals when the summer tour is over...then for a nice autumn/halloween tour, we begin his new Nightmare....I know we have been debating this already and I know that Alice changes his mind a lot so its just me thinking outloud....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:53 pm

SickThings wrote: I meant to mention that on my list and forgot. I first launched the list on January 24, 1992!

Hunter
Twenty years! Wow!
I joined in 97, right after finally seeing Alice for the first time :)Which means I've known some of you for 15 years now!
It was my first "web based group" ever.

And yes it's always the same discussion, but it's part of the "expecting game" I love to daydream about such things. I don't care if the reality is different then as long as I get my fix ;)