"A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:42 pm

>I think the drinking that Alice did from the late 60s to 1984 (with maybe a a year or so 'out' and will amount to more than 8 years - more like 14 or so)

As I said in my post, GNDM is not referring to "late 60s" - read his post.

>did untold damage both physically and career-wise.

Not during the classic 1971 - 1975 period, it didn't.

>Career-wise: do you honestly think think work was in focus from 76 - 84?

That is the point I've just made. That is the period GNDM was
referring to. To answer your question, I think "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell" (when he was drinking) and "From The Inside" (when he wasn't) were both excellent), so the drinking could have been both a facilitator of creativity as much as it wasn't (during "Lace And Whiskey" for example) and while the early eighties material (when he was drinking) was somewhat weak here and there, there was plenty about it that was interesting and creative. Being drunk while an artist is creating his or her art does not automatically that he or she will create bad art. It can do but it's not an assumption that you can make.

>KISS took the audience off him as he was writing ballads and easy-listening tracks,

They did the same thing, though. Their song "Beth" was very successful.

> drinking, performing very drunk,

So were Peter Criss and Ace Frehley so I'm not sure how relevant that is.

> hanging out with film stars etc etc. He doesn't remember recording some albums and some tours!!! Is that not damaging????

I think in the 'big picture', no. Too much emphasis is placed on his drinking as being a reason for the commercial and in some cases, artistic decline. After all, I'm sure we can all think of rock starts or bands who produced their best or most commercial work while under the influence of substances and besides, you also missed the point that even if what you say is true (and it has some truth, but not much), the time it represents is very small over the period that GNDM was referring to. I know it's tempting to have an easy answer to the question that he posed, but if a record compant isn't interested in promoting an artist or band (for whatever reason), it doesn't matter how drunk they are are or how good the albums are.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:Zeppelin broke those same records - did you not look at the external link I provided. Did you not see the chart positions in various countries.Do facts not mean anything to you?

How about providing some independent links and facts. Bob Ezrin saying things does not mean it's 100% accurate. He's not exactly an impartial observer.

Where's your proof that unevivically, that AC was the biggest act in 1973. Belief is not proof - chart position, box office gross and concert attendence is. I believe I've provided evidence that casts your assertions in doubt. You have provided nothing. Interviews with BE are not empirical evidence.

I'm sorry if you have something invested in AC being the biggest in '73 (I can't understand why) but it's just not true - it's kinda true but like much of the AC history, the truth has been stretched (just a little bit).
The FACT that Alice broke the Stones box office record for a US tour in 73 is PROOF he was the biggest act in 73 in the most important and commercial market in the world the USA! what part of that don't you understand?

You can use semantics and come across as a pseudo intellectual with your 'empirical evidence' but no one is buying it, unlike when they were buying Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies album and concert tickets in 73 when as confirmed by the respected Bob Ezrin, Alice Cooper was the biggest live act on the planet.

I'll go with Ezrin as back up for what I know to be true rather than you as I would bet most would.

Sorry if you have got an investment in Led Zep being the biggest band in 73 but they weren't, and this is coming from a Led Zep fan they were the biggest band probably in the 1970's overall but not in 73, if you can't accept the factual evidence then that is your problem.
hmmm... I have nothing invested n LZ being a bigger concert draw or having larger album sale totals and a higher album chart position. I posted a link that demonstrated those things. What did you provide? A BE interview? A comment saying AC "broke Rolling Stones box office records"? I can link you to articles that state the same thing about LZ - how is that proof?

Naw, I'll go by chart position and attendance figures over a whole tour. I'm a bigger AC fan than LZ but I lke to deal in facts not hyperbole (which of course puts me at odds with AC history revisionists)
Maybe this will help you to get a better understanding of Alice being bigger than Zep in 73!

http://www.alicecooperechive.com/articl ... art=740900
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri May 11, 2012 5:31 pm

The Alice Cooper Group was the biggest thing on the planet Earth from '72-'74

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon May 14, 2012 1:20 am

with the Alice Cooper v Led Zep element to this thread there is now a poll

http://www.alicecooperpics.co.uk/Sickth ... 09#p223009
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon May 14, 2012 12:42 pm

In my world ( which at 14 was really all that mattered :grin: ) The Alice Cooper Group was the coolest thing on the planet. Zep rocked but the Cooper Group rolled out with their circus freaks and hulla hoops... :alice: