"A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Devon, Shoesalesman

User avatar
wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:28 pm

James1981 wrote:The way I see it a tour with maiden is going to expose Alice to thousands of potential new fans and that can only be a good thing for when he does his own tour. Personally I really hope this tour comes to the uk, 2 of my favourate artists together on the same bill.
Here here, I'd be first in line for a ticked. Personally, I love these big co-headline type events. I've done Def Leppard / Whitesnake and Def Leppard / Alice Cooper and they were very good value for money. More please!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

User avatar
Si
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by Si » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:22 am

wind_up_toy wrote:
suziginajackson wrote:Was it the 'Theatre of Death' tour where Alice had Motorhead as a support group?

I don't recall people complaining about that!
Motörhead supported Alice in 2007 on the Physco Drama tour I believe. Joan Jett was also on the bill.
And LOTS of people complained, especially after they had endured the motorhead fans at gigs...

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:55 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:28 am

As much as I really wanted the Nightmare 2 tour to finally take place and for Alice to see Alice do a different show then the one I've already seen, I think this is a great double bill. Fans of both bands should really enjoy it
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

User avatar
wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:45 am

Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:
suziginajackson wrote:Was it the 'Theatre of Death' tour where Alice had Motorhead as a support group?

I don't recall people complaining about that!
Motörhead supported Alice in 2007 on the Physco Drama tour I believe. Joan Jett was also on the bill.
And LOTS of people complained, especially after they had endured the motorhead fans at gigs...
You've brought back some bad memories there, the ones at Bournemouth were truely terrible.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1369
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Well, I am screwed....the tour dates so far do not feature Los Angeles, Ca.....and we're already up to August. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! (although, maybe Halloween?....fingers crossed)
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Toronto Bob wrote: chill out dude. No grasp of rock history? Please. My comment was relating to the here and now (and say the past 20 years) IM is bigger. Yes Alice is more of a seminal influence in rock than Maiden (although no one should sell IM short - they are next to Sabbath in the world of HM) but I was commenting on present day touring.
The original comment said something along the lines that Alice is bigger than Maiden - and that is simply not true - you have facts to refute that, let's see them, otherwise zip it on the trash talk.

I'm more of an Alice fan (pre-Dragontown) than Maiden but facts are facts and Maiden sells more tickets in the major concert markets than Alice and they likely sell more copies of a new release than AC as well, if Alice was bigger than Maiden, Maiden would be a "Special Guest" on Alice's tour - but that's not the case is it?


And in regards to your claim of Alice once being the "biggest act on the planet". That's a nice line that sounds good and is almost true but at Alice's peak, say last half of 1973, Zeppelin were a bigger act and they sustained that popularity throughout the decade, whereas Alice's reign was over and done by the time 1976 rolled around - he didn't even sell out MSG in '77. So what kind of music history are you gonna school me on exactly?
steven_crayn wrote:Alice was the biggest act on the planet 72/73 who is talking about 76 or now? NOT ME!

Even now Iron Maiden though a massive metal band are not the biggest act on the planet and never will be. Alice Cooper was for a period of time in 72/73.

FACT School's Out biggest selling single in Warner Bros history at the time
FACT Billion Dollar Babies US tour broke Rolling Stones box office record and the album topped both sides of the Atlantic.
FACT even as late as 74 biggest indoor attendance for a gig when Alice Cooper played Brazil.

so you get your FACTS right and dont tell me to "zip it" as I wasn't talking trash unlike you as you often do, be it the last Alice masterpiece or the Old School box set.

I haven't got a problem with Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper being their special guest but you and other metal heads need to get a historical perspective about who is the bigger all time act and it is Alice Cooper
Toronto Bob wrote: My original comment that you quoted and responded to said

Oh and to those who think AC IS a bigger act than IM. So the word IS means the here and now, not 72/73. And yes, AC is more iconic than IM (again not to sell IM short). As far as AC being the biggest act "on the planet" in 72/73. I would say they were ONE of the biggest acts. Zeppelin were a bigger draw. Oh I know about the Brazil show but

i) Brazil have HUGE concerts and one massive turnout at one show does not emperically prove they were the biggest act on the planet for 72/73(Rod Stewart played to 3.5 milion people in Brazil in 1994 - did that make him the biggest act on the planet n 1994?)

ii) Zeppelin's American tour of 1973 was better attended than Alice's B$B

So while I was referring to the here and now, which makes your claims about me needing to learn rock history silly, you're still not accurate when you say AC was "the biggest act on the planet" in 72/73. He was one of the biggies in a crowded field and he couldn't maintain it due to some rather poor decision making. I'm a fan but I don't like denying the facts.
Don't just take my word for it, this is what Bob Ezrin has said:

"There was a point at which the Alice Cooper group was the biggest band in the world. When we had done Billion Dollar Babies and that show went out, they were the most successful and the most popular band on the road in the entire world"

hear for yourself on the BBC World Service podcast iTunes where the Brazil indoor concert was mentioned as 158,000, there was nothing like that before so don't give me this "Brazil has massive concerts" as if it meant nothing, for your flawed defence.

I rest my case
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

User avatar
Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:43 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by Marcelocooper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:55 pm

First: most of you probably have never been qto Brazil, and I would guess none of you have ever been to anheimbi. Tha place, especially the place where Alice played in 74, is small. 158.000 is waaaaay too much to fit on a place like that, and still, Alice did it.
No other show ever got so many people on such a small place. Even here. We do have huge concerts, but ac/dc had only 68000 people on their last show here, o a much bigger place.
One thing most of you don't quite get is that in 74 no band played here. No one even knew how to make a show here. Alice was so huge that the entire countr just stoped. The army was making the secutiry to the band, Michael told me they had to stop the traffic so he band could go the show. And that never happened again. Advertisng changed a lot, grew a lot, but no one could get so many people on a place like that. And ohter thing is that the show was with payed tickets. Most ofq the 1 million people audiences you hear are from free shows, which, believe me, is not the same, people here go to anyting free, it is really easy to fill any place when you don't charge for it.
So, yes, Alice was te biggest act. 72/74. I have seen a newspaper report from 73 which stated that LZ was trying to brake Alice box that yesr, but when they riched half of their tour it was aleady impossible to get to the level Alice was. So, i really thing Led Zeppelin, for as huge as they are now, was not bigger than Alice in 73.

Anyway, I am really pleased with this tour. IM has really big audiences, and that means more people are gong to see Alice. Just hope this tour come to Brazil but i guess this won't happen.
If you're a chicken, you ain't nothing but a lousy chicken

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:29 pm

The whole "AC was the biggest act in the world in 1973" is somewhat moot because my original comment that sparked SC's ire was referring to the here and now of Maiden's popularity - not historical significance or whatever else.

As far as making claims of being the biggest act in the world in '73 and using one concert in Brazil as empirical evidence of the claim, I just disagree, I think Alice was one of the biggest but think Zeppelin was actually more of a draw.

First off Brazil was not a common destination for large touring rock acts in the seventies, so you have the novelty factor, so the concert attendance comparisions becomes more apples to oranges. A more illuminating and accurate comparison would be the '73 American tours of both acts.

Both tours grossed in the $4 million range. AC earned that by playing approximately 60 dates, LZ did that in 40. Both albums (HotH and B$B) went to #1 in the US and the UK, but HotH went to #1 in Canada and Australia. B$B had 4 singles from the album but according to Billboard, NMMN charted the highest at #25. LZ was more of an AOR act, but 2 singles were released and D'yer Mak'er placed #20. To date HotH has gone 11x Platinum in the US - I couldn't find exact info on B$B platinum status - my guess is somewhere between 2x-4x Platinum. Here's a comparison chart on biggest albums of 1973 http://tsort.info/music/ay1973.htm

Feel free to dispute any of these statements that I have presented as facts but try not to mischaracterize what I'm saying - AC was one of the biggest but not the biggest, touring acts of 1973.

I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped in here to set the record straight - they are usually such sticklers for factual statements.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 pm

>I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped in here to set the record straight - they are usually such sticklers for factual statements.

Why not be brave and actually name the person you're referring to? Besides, why should "someone else" respond? You are perfectly capable of mounting your own defence.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped in here to set the record straight - they are usually such sticklers for factual statements.

Why not be brave and actually name the person you're referring to? Besides, why should "someone else" respond? You are perfectly capable of mounting your own defence.

It's humourous to see how perfectly humourless you are, lighten up dude. Care to chime in on how Alice was THE BIGGEST act in the world of 1973? Maybe you have some evidence I haven't seen. You're a pretty knowledgeable guy, there surely is something wrong with what I posted.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 pm

>It's humourous to see how perfectly humourless you are,

Even when I'm laughing at you, you mean?

> lighten up dude.

I could say the same to you in relation to this subject.

> Care to chime in on how Alice was THE BIGGEST act in the world of 1973?

No. Why should I do that? Do you need help with your defence?

> Maybe you have some evidence I haven't seen.

Who says I do?

>You're a pretty knowledgeable guy, there surely is something wrong with what I posted.

Is there? Tell us what it is.

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am

Toronto Bob wrote:The whole "AC was the biggest act in the world in 1973" is somewhat moot because my original comment that sparked SC's ire was referring to the here and now of Maiden's popularity - not historical significance or whatever else.

As far as making claims of being the biggest act in the world in '73 and using one concert in Brazil as empirical evidence of the claim, I just disagree, I think Alice was one of the biggest but think Zeppelin was actually more of a draw.

First off Brazil was not a common destination for large touring rock acts in the seventies, so you have the novelty factor, so the concert attendance comparisions becomes more apples to oranges. A more illuminating and accurate comparison would be the '73 American tours of both acts.

Both tours grossed in the $4 million range. AC earned that by playing approximately 60 dates, LZ did that in 40. Both albums (HotH and B$B) went to #1 in the US and the UK, but HotH went to #1 in Canada and Australia. B$B had 4 singles from the album but according to Billboard, NMMN charted the highest at #25. LZ was more of an AOR act, but 2 singles were released and D'yer Mak'er placed #20. To date HotH has gone 11x Platinum in the US - I couldn't find exact info on B$B platinum status - my guess is somewhere between 2x-4x Platinum. Here's a comparison chart on biggest albums of 1973 http://tsort.info/music/ay1973.htm

Feel free to dispute any of these statements that I have presented as facts but try not to mischaracterize what I'm saying - AC was one of the biggest but not the biggest, touring acts of 1973.

I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped in here to set the record straight - they are usually such sticklers for factual statements.
So breaking the Rolling Stones Box Office record for a US tour in 73 in the biggest and most important music market is not enough evidence for you and your so called 'facts'?

You need help admit that you're sick!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Zeppelin broke those same records - did you not look at the external link I provided. Did you not see the chart positions in various countries.Do facts not mean anything to you?

How about providing some independent links and facts. Bob Ezrin saying things does not mean it's 100% accurate. He's not exactly an impartial observer.

Where's your proof that unevivically, that AC was the biggest act in 1973. Belief is not proof - chart position, box office gross and concert attendence is. I believe I've provided evidence that casts your assertions in doubt. You have provided nothing. Interviews with BE are not empirical evidence.

I'm sorry if you have something invested in AC being the biggest in '73 (I can't understand why) but it's just not true - it's kinda true but like much of the AC history, the truth has been stretched (just a little bit).

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:33 am
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by ThePainAddict » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:40 am

I don't think you can solve who was "the biggest', but I think a honest argument can be made for AC in this time period even apart from lp sales and concert grosses.

If you look at the fanzines of the time (Circus, Creem, Hit Parader) Alice was everywhere, they clearly thought he would move the most copies. The AC group also constantly won in the polls in those mags. Alice was also in the teeny bop mags (Spec, Tiger Beat, etc.) as well as coverage in mainstream music press (Rolling Stone) and being feature in Time magazine. Not to mention constant mention in the mainstream press.

elnombre
Trash
Trash
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:59 am

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by elnombre » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:59 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:Which 'hype' are you referring to? The fact that the word "big" was used once in relation to one announcement?! Let me tell you what is "hilarious" and that is people letting their imaginations run riot as to what it was going to be.
Yes, hilarious that Alice said there'd be a Nightmare 2 tour this year, then said there would be a 'big' announcement, and people thought it would be the Nightmare 2 tour. Your toadying and fan-hating gets more laughably transparent by the day.
A_MichaelUK wrote: WHAT IS YOUR POINT?! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, DO YOU STILL BELIEVE THAT EVERTHING ALICE SAYS IN AN INTERVIEW IS HOW THINGS ARE GOING TO BE?!
Calm down, darling. Use your indoor voice.

My point is that Alice said something was going to happen, so a number of Alice Cooper fans thought it was going to happen. Is your point that we shouldn't believe a word he says?
A_MichaelUK wrote: Stay home, shut up and save your money then.
You seem to have anger problems. I neither requisitioned nor have any interest in what some one-dimensional lackey thinks my concert-going habits should be, thank you. You also seem to constantly be telling people to 'shut up' around here. If you step away from your computer screen, the bad voices will go away, you know?
A_MichaelUK wrote: That would depend on your definition of "successful", I suppose.
His highest charting album in many years is, in the context of his career, a success. Certainly more successful than DragonTown, which spawned a themed tour.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 pm

>Yes, hilarious that Alice said there'd be a Nightmare 2 tour this year,

So what if he did?! He said there would be last year as well and he said in 2008 there would be an "Along Came A Spider" tour as well. Besides, you don't know that there won't be a "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" tour this year anyway.

> then said there would be a 'big' announcement,

Actually, Alice didn't say that. That was the gentleman who maintains his web - site.

>and people thought it would be the Nightmare 2 tour.

Exactly. They let their imaginations and expectations go out of control.

> Your toadying and fan-hating gets more laughably transparent by the day.

That is rather idiotic.

>Calm down, darling. Use your indoor voice.
Shut up.

>My point is that Alice said something was going to happen, so a number of Alice Cooper fans thought it was going to happen.

So who's fault is that? Do you believe that EVERYTHING he says is EXACTLY how it is going to happen?

> Is your point that we shouldn't believe a word he says

I didn't say anything even remotely resembling that. I think if you had read what I wrote a bit more carefully, you would have known that. My "point" is that just because he says something in an interview does not mean that is how it is going to happen. Things and circumstances in general, change.

>You seem to have anger problems.

Do you want to find out?

> I neither requisitioned nor have any interest in what some one-dimensional lackey thinks my concert-going habits should be, thank you.

You sound even more pompous than I do. Well done.
>His highest charting album in many years is, in the context of his career, a success. Certainly more successful than DragonTown, which spawned a themed tour.

That would be a fair point except that it ignores the fact that 2001 was pretty much the last time it was felt by many in the industry that albums could be promoted by "a themed tour". It might depend what you mean by "a themed tour" as well.

User avatar
SickThings
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by SickThings » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 am

I was reminded of all the complaints about the "big announcement" when news leaked early about the KISS & Motley Crue tour. It was pretty widely known a week before the announcement that they were touring, and both bands' sites had countdown clocks for the "big announcement." However, I saw comments from several KISS fans on Facebook speculating about what the countdown clock was for. They didn't believe that it was about the tour, because "everybody already knew about the tour."

The clock was, of course, a countdown to the press conference announcing The Tour.

Hunter

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2753
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 pm

SickThings wrote:They didn't believe that it was about the tour, because "everybody already knew about the tour."
KISS fans, as a whole, are not the brightest bunch.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:53 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
SickThings wrote:They didn't believe that it was about the tour, because "everybody already knew about the tour."
KISS fans, as a whole, are not the brightest bunch.
Haha!

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 am

Toronto Bob wrote:Zeppelin broke those same records - did you not look at the external link I provided. Did you not see the chart positions in various countries.Do facts not mean anything to you?

How about providing some independent links and facts. Bob Ezrin saying things does not mean it's 100% accurate. He's not exactly an impartial observer.

Where's your proof that unevivically, that AC was the biggest act in 1973. Belief is not proof - chart position, box office gross and concert attendence is. I believe I've provided evidence that casts your assertions in doubt. You have provided nothing. Interviews with BE are not empirical evidence.

I'm sorry if you have something invested in AC being the biggest in '73 (I can't understand why) but it's just not true - it's kinda true but like much of the AC history, the truth has been stretched (just a little bit).
The FACT that Alice broke the Stones box office record for a US tour in 73 is PROOF he was the biggest act in 73 in the most important and commercial market in the world the USA! what part of that don't you understand?

You can use semantics and come across as a pseudo intellectual with your 'empirical evidence' but no one is buying it, unlike when they were buying Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies album and concert tickets in 73 when as confirmed by the respected Bob Ezrin, Alice Cooper was the biggest live act on the planet.

I'll go with Ezrin as back up for what I know to be true rather than you as I would bet most would.

Sorry if you have got an investment in Led Zep being the biggest band in 73 but they weren't, and this is coming from a Led Zep fan they were the biggest band probably in the 1970's overall but not in 73, if you can't accept the factual evidence then that is your problem.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Post Reply