Overdubs in 'Fistful Of Alice' ?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Re: Overdubs in 'Fistful Of Alice' ?

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:12 am

(quote) after Bowie parted company with Ronson he played guitar on every track but one on Diamond Dogs (Earl Slick played on the other) but Earl was his guitar player come David Live and he does the business. (unquote)

No, in fact, the only track on "Diamond Dogs" that hasn't Bowie on guitar, called "1984", has its guitar parts played by Alan Parker - not the film director. Bowie met Earl Slick a few months later thru Michael Kamen, who acted as the musical director on Bowie's Diamond Dogs tour. This was Earl Slick's first commitment towards David Bowie. And yes he was the guitarist on "David Live".
Steven Lee Cooper peeks in the forums when he feels really brave....

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Steven Lee Cooper wrote:(quote) after Bowie parted company with Ronson he played guitar on every track but one on Diamond Dogs (Earl Slick played on the other) but Earl was his guitar player come David Live and he does the business. (unquote)

No, in fact, the only track on "Diamond Dogs" that hasn't Bowie on guitar, called "1984", has its guitar parts played by Alan Parker - not the film director. Bowie met Earl Slick a few months later thru Michael Kamen, who acted as the musical director on Bowie's Diamond Dogs tour. This was Earl Slick's first commitment towards David Bowie. And yes he was the guitarist on "David Live".
no Earl Slick is credited as playing on Rock n Roll With Me even though you are right about Parker also playing guitar on 1984.

Guitarists often do sessions without even meeting the artist/band.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 pm

no Earl Slick is credited as playing on Rock n Roll With Me even though you are right about Parker also playing guitar on 1984.

Guitarists often do sessions without even meeting the artist/band.[/quote]

I'd be curious to know about your source. I've never seen any Diamond Dogs edition stating Earl Slick at all in its credits. I don't say it's impossible, I'm just saying that, of all the informations I came thru along the years, everything states that Earl Slick never worked in anyway for Bowie before Micheal Kamen started assembling the band for Bowie's 1974 tour. And that was confirmed in the interviews I've read from Earl Slick, who said he never got involved with Bowie in any manner before the tour. Plus, Diamond Dogs was recorded in Europe, with very few musicians, and Earl Slick was in the USA at that moment.

But if you think you're right and know otherwise, which means something else than all that is usually reported about the Bowie/Slick collaboration, give me the source of your information please.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:45 pm

I've just sent Earl a message asking if he can confirm if he did play on it or not and will let you know if my source is correct as soon as I hear back
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:44 pm

steven_crayn wrote:I've just sent Earl a message asking if he can confirm if he did play on it or not and will let you know if my source is correct as soon as I hear back

Ah, cool. And good idea indeed - the best way to know it. I again checked out my different sources - no trace of that. Let's hope he remembers anyway.

Say, no verbal violence nor anger here : things are maybe getting better.... :clap:

Remember I say "maybe", mmm ?

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Have I stumbled onto a Bowie forum?

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Paul wrote:Have I stumbled onto a Bowie forum?
Mmm, sorry. :( That particular question should be answered to anytime soon. ;)