Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Awakening
Killer
Killer

Overdubs in 'Fistful Of Alice' ?

Post by Awakening » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi,

After a little shearsh in the previous topic, I havn't seen anything about it.

I'm always very suspicious about this record...
Do you know if the Alice's voice has been overdubs ?

The recording don't sound very "sincere" to me...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Overdubs in 'Fistful Of Alice' ?

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:21 pm

It would be unheard of for a live album to feature overdubs.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Awakening
Killer
Killer

Post by Awakening » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:42 pm

There are overdubs in the ToD's one.

But that's just a question.
I suppose that, if this is real, it has been already talked about around there. I wish to know if this record is a honnest live album or not.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Awakening wrote:There are overdubs in the ToD's one.

But that's just a question.
I suppose that, if this is real, it has been already talked about around there. I wish to know if this record is a honnest live album or not.
Most live albums have overdubs of one sort or another.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:21 am

Yes. It is sometimes speculated that everything but the album cover was overdubbed on "The Alice Cooper Show."

On this same sort of subject, I was not fortunate enough to purchase a box set, but I heard a sample of "Billion Dollar Babies" with the original band for that Jagermeister thing on AliceCooper.com. The extra high pitched backing vocals almost sounded overdubbed into the recording, almost like they were Tommy's voice or something. Can anyone verify? Andy? Si?

Just a personal curiosity as to whom I was hearing.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:03 pm

The Jagermeister recording was, I believe, heavily fixed up before it was heard by the public.
I can't answer the other part of your question though.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Lol Devon...re speculation that everything but the Alice Cooper Show cover was overdubbed-are we sure about the cover..ha..I must admit I was a 1970s purist that wanted everything to be played live and all live recordings to be live (but I guess the competition dont always play fair)..Alice is/are brilliant but I find myself looking for small bits of recorded music being added in to the shows..unsure but maybe beginning of Clones recently..and in past maybe bits related to execution..I turn a blind ear now..ha :evil:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 pm

recoop wrote:Lol Devon...re speculation that everything but the Alice Cooper Show cover was overdubbed-are we sure about the cover..ha..I must admit I was a 1970s purist that wanted everything to be played live and all live recordings to be live (but I guess the competition dont always play fair)..Alice is/are brilliant but I find myself looking for small bits of recorded music being added in to the shows..unsure but maybe beginning of Clones recently..and in past maybe bits related to execution..I turn a blind ear now..ha :evil:
The studio intro to Clones was Davey Johnstone backward masking guitar which they have the technology to do live now and Steve Hunter not only did it justice he took it to another level on the performances of it this year.

LA Forum 75 recording is better than the Alice Cooper show live album more raw but still slick.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Agree re Steve Hunter's performance on Clones..was at manchester and watched the london gig on tv..I have to say that seeing Steve live at last was the highlight for me of the manchester gig..Steven your grasp of music, technology and guitar playing(ive seen you play on youtube) are way ahead of mine(my guitar play sucks)..but I thought I had detected a bit of taped sound at the beginning of clones-like synth effect-I would admit I could be wrong and don't care one way or other as AC players always brill (side issue-seeing Earl Slick in Dolls was a welcome surprise)..

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:32 am

guitar synthesis is nothing new, Steve Hillage in the 70's and then later Pat Metheney in the 80's brought it to the fore and with guitar FX you can create all sorts of sounds live if you know what you are doing.

I quite like it when Alice has a keyboard player and i'm told Tommy can play keyboards so the line up is in place to do Welcome 2 My Nightmare justice if it ever gets the live show it deserves.
I know you can get away without them on certain tracks but it would be great to see that again.

Earl Slick great player loved his playing with Bowie especially on this which also features John Lennon on backing vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDzKJMM_ ... ata_player
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks a lot for info again Steven. I struggle hitting a clean f chord. I too hope welcome 2 gets the tour support it deserves and that keyboards used.

Great track fame-enjoyed clip. Re Earl Slick I most enjoyed his intro to Diamond Dogs, David Live(altho my friends said it was bad guitar playing!)
I reckon Lennon had an influence on Alice on Welcome TMN 1975 title track...the music to my ears is a nod to some tracks on Lennons 1974 Walls and Bridges album (and they did drink together sometimes)..what do you think?

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:19 pm

The studio intro to Clones was Davey Johnstone backward masking guitar which they have the technology to do live now and Steve Hunter not only did it justice he took it to another level on the performances of it this year.

Steven I know nothing about guitar playing and I think it's a great effect. But how would you play guitar backwards live? Sorry if this is a completely thicko question, but I'm curious. :blush:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:22 pm

cherrypie wrote:

Steven I know nothing about guitar playing and I think it's a great effect. But how would you play guitar backwards live? Sorry if this is a completely thicko question, but I'm curious. :blush:
backwards fx on records sound really good the Beatles and the Stones were doing it in the 60s cutting up tape and looping it backwards (Strawberry Fields and We Love You).

The guitar solo on I Can't Quit Her by Blood Sweat And Tears was recorded then put on the final recording backwards and Clones likewise.

at 2 mins 30 you can hear what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqycvOTt ... ata_player

Live you can play a series of notes and feed it through a time delay and add a backward effect.

The wonders of modern technology

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:49 pm

i should add that the producer of Clones, Roy Thomas Baker, had previously used this effect on Queen's Flick Of The Wrist on Brian May's solo an absolute classic song!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm

recoop wrote:Thanks a lot for info again Steven. I struggle hitting a clean f chord. I too hope welcome 2 gets the tour support it deserves and that keyboards used.

Great track fame-enjoyed clip. Re Earl Slick I most enjoyed his intro to Diamond Dogs, David Live(altho my friends said it was bad guitar playing!)
I reckon Lennon had an influence on Alice on Welcome TMN 1975 title track...the music to my ears is a nod to some tracks on Lennons 1974 Walls and Bridges album (and they did drink together sometimes)..what do you think?
after Bowie parted company with Ronson he played guitar on every track but one on Diamond Dogs (Earl Slick played on the other) but Earl was his guitar player come David Live and he does the business.

As you say Lennon hung out with Alice (he loved Elected) and Nilsson and Walls & Bridges is a classic and Record Plant East studios in New York is the common denominator between that album and Nightmare

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:24 am

steven_crayn wrote:
backwards fx on records sound really good the Beatles and the Stones were doing it in the 60s cutting up tape and looping it backwards (Strawberry Fields and We Love You).

The guitar solo on I Can't Quit Her by Blood Sweat And Tears was recorded then put on the final recording backwards and Clones likewise.

at 2 mins 30 you can hear what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqycvOTt ... ata_player

Live you can play a series of notes and feed it through a time delay and add a backward effect.

The wonders of modern technology
Thanks Steven. :HEART: :HEART:

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Talking of backwards effects (and Roy Thomas Baker); anybody like the intro to Ogre Battle? The beginning is the end! Marvellous.

Re overdubbs; most live albums have them, but some are overdubbed to the point of ridicule and essentially become studio albums with crowd added in - like Unleashed in the East (Priest) for example.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks Steven. :HEART: :HEART:
Can you take this to a dating website or something?

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Go away :p

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 pm

steven_crayn wrote: The studio intro to Clones was Davey Johnstone backward masking guitar which they have the technology to do live now and Steve Hunter not only did it justice he took it to another level on the performances of it this year.
Alice has always had excellent players, but The Deacon is just a phenomenal guitarist.

It's unbelievable how talented Steve is, especially when you watch the vids and see how he plays these parts with such ease. His versatility is amazing too.

A real treat to see him on this tour. I really hope Steve sticks around with Alice after this tour.