Brutal Planet-A Masterpiece?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Brutal Planet-A Masterpiece?

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:54 pm

It is hard to believe it has been eleven years or so since Brutal Planet came out. Lately, I have found myself going back to that album and I still really enjoy it. I know some fans don't like it when Alice tries new things, but I personally thought this album worked for him. What were your thoughts when this album came out? It had been six years since The Last Temptation (one of Alice's best) had been released. Was it too heavy for you? Did it surprise you?

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Brutal Planet-A Masterpiece?

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Absolutely loved it. Played it non-stop for months when it first came out, it was that good. It still gets regular play. I think it was the right sound with the right subject matter & material at the right time.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

An excellent album, which is far stronger track-for-track than Dragontown in my opinion. I love the idea that the album was written by watching CNN.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:27 pm

When it first came out it blew my socks off. Talk about surprised, it threw me completely. It was exhausting to listen to (in a good way) as I found it really intense, there is just no let up and what fantastic production from the 2 Bobs. A masterpiece for sure supported by a brilliant tour.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Take off the obligatory ill fitting ballad and it's a hell of an album.

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:23 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Take off the obligatory ill fitting ballad and it's a hell of an album.
I agree.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:59 pm

if you're talking about Take It Like a Woman, i couldn't agree less. love the track.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Great album that for me, sounds a little dated now.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:04 pm

killer wolf wrote:if you're talking about Take It Like a Woman, i couldn't agree less. love the track.

It doesn't fit the album. I wish he would just stop writing them.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Not a masterpiece for me but from 78 to issue of Brutal P..my 3 fave AC solo albums FTI, Last Temp and then Brutal..so its pretty good..liked the heaviness (although he seemed to be borrowing the industrial sound imo)..not keen on having a ballad on this heavy album (although can appreciate the track on its own)..for me compared to Dragontown its nearly a masterpiece..brave album I think and produced a gr8 live show which I caught at Hammersmith... :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:19 pm

>It doesn't fit the album. I wish he would just stop writing them.

Depends for what album. For TLT, Brutal Planet, Dragontown, W2MN and GTH, the ballads are very well written and sung, but they kind of ruin the tone of the album once you get to them imo.

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 pm

andyrew wrote:>It doesn't fit the album. I wish he would just stop writing them.

Depends for what album. For TLT, Brutal Planet, Dragontown, W2MN and GTH, the ballads are very well written and sung, but they kind of ruin the tone of the album once you get to them imo.
OWB was cool, but on TLT "It's me" was so out of place...does not make sense with the concept. Oh some people will say it makes sense but Steven was not in any relationship where his significant other was gambling and tripping all over the world. unless I'm missing something.

Something to remember me by is not a favorite of mine either.

I did like "Killed by Love".

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 am

"It's Me" is simply fantastic.

I couldn't care less whether it fits into the theme of the album or not when a song is that good.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Wicked Young Woman
Trash
Trash

Post by Wicked Young Woman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:53 am

I once read (I think it's on The Life & Crimes set) that Alice originally pictured 'It's me' as the last song on TLT and the Showman's message to Steven that no matter what happens he (the Showman) will always be there for him.

But back to Brutal Planet yes, I like that album very much, enjoyed the heavier tone of it, think the message behind it was/is very up to date and the song Brutal Planet is one of Alice’s most powerful songs done live.
In my mind, oh, a million voices tell me no

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:25 am

It's Me is cracking too. It might not exactly fit the Steven story (unless it's just him showing how far someone could abuse his love and he'd still love them, kinda thing) but then When Hell Comes Home doesn't either, there's nothing in the previous albums/stories that Steven was abused by his father and murdered him.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:34 pm

> but then When Hell Comes Home doesn't either, there's nothing in the previous albums/stories that Steven was abused by his father and murdered him.

If you look at the parralel between Only Women Bleed and When Hell Comes Home, you can visualize that it is the other half of Only Women Bleed in context with Steven's mother. Maybe not Steven himself so much, but in my opinion it seems to tell listeners the story of the acts that lead up to Only Women Bleed. So more of a memoir from the past of what Steven witnessed and was a part of. I could be wrong but that is my interpretation of the song.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:06 pm

Just building on your last post Andyrew..in Steven Alice sings "its outside the door"..could be stevens father...but as killerwolf says theres nothing that directly shows stevens father as an abuser or that he murders him..but its a dream and its 36 years later(maybe the abuse happened between the two albums..we need welcome 1.5 the mid term album..lol)..I reckon we, the fans, read more into AC's stories/lyrics than even AC could
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 pm

> Just building on your last post Andyrew..in Steven Alice sings "its outside the door"..could be stevens father...but as killerwolf says theres nothing that directly shows stevens father as an abuser or that he murders him..but its a dream and its 36 years later(maybe the abuse happened between the two albums..we need welcome 1.5 the mid term album..lol)..I reckon we, the fans, read more into AC's stories/lyrics than even AC could.

That is true. He also says "I don't like to hear you cry" (Probably to his mom) and "I must be dreaming please stop screaming...Steven"...so this could relate to his dad screaming Steven in When Hell Comes Home. Maybe the "It" was left there on purpose for us to truely discover the meaning of who was really tormenting Steven in the first nightmare.

It's really something that can't be ignored. Mere coincidence? Could be, but there seems to be direct links between Only Women Bleed, Steven, and When Hell Comes Home that Alice may have wanted us to figure out ourselves without reffering to what was happening in any commentary. If that is the case it really shows he respects our knowledge and imagination on the subject matter.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35 am

I am pretty sure Coop adds these titles to "soften" up the mood of the record. I for one love the songs. I am not a huge fan of W2MN and really thought that NONE of those songs fit together. (IMHO)... That said...I really think all the others did work just fine. :clap:

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 am

pitkin88 wrote:
killer wolf wrote:if you're talking about Take It Like a Woman, i couldn't agree less. love the track.

It doesn't fit the album. I wish he would just stop writing them.
best track on the album
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV