GTH vs. L&W vs. FTI

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Re: GTH vs. L&W vs. FTI

Post by MonsterDog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:51 am

I love From the Inside. I've been very pleased to here the live performances of the songs from it in recent years, also.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:57 am

I remember seeing Alice on the FTI tour- such a great show which included the famous split screen that he'd jump in & out of. The Babys opened for him promoting their Head First LP. Ahhh, the '70's. What happened to music and the music industry?

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:30 am

It just became more & more of an industry. Just predictable - hence the reign of mediocrity.
Steven Lee Cooper peeks in the forums when he feels really brave....

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I am in the minority. But for me Alice's early solo years (75-78) were the best part of his career. Goes to hell and From the inside are both five star albums and the much hated Lace and Whiskey gets a four star rating from me.

Lace and whiskey features some amazing guitar solos. Just listen to It's hot tonight, Road rats, King of the silver screen and My God and tell me Dick Wagner isn't on fire. While the album has a couple really bad songs the good ones are way better than just decent.

From the inside gets my vote as well. It's so consistently well written, performed and produced. It features some of the Alice's most brilliant and mature lyrics. Inmates(We're all crazy) is one of the biggest lyrical and musical highlights of Alice's career.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Its all opinons but I agree DW was on fire on L and W but for me it was like a cut and paste job..now bring in some guitar..didnt really flow for me..think they would have been better adding best bits of L and W to ACGTH with some ommissions and then would have had a good album.. I think that some of L and W may have been left overs from ACGTH sessions..memory not quite recalling info
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Dick Wagner's solo on King Of The Silver Screen (Steve Hunter has said he thinks it was Dick who played that solo)is one of the greatest solo's on any Alice or any record ever it is masterful the highlight of the album for me along with My God.

As an album though I don't think it or Goes To Hell were in the same league as From The Inside.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Agree re solo on KOSS..great solo on for me an ok track.. i feel the same about the solo on pass the gun around on dada..would like it to have been on a better track..i only have vinyl of lace and w but do like some tracks incl my god if loud(sounds like ELP to me)..FTI for me..great songs, guitars and flows naturally..must get my vinyl out again of L and W
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:14 pm

My God is definately one of Alice's most underrated songs. It's such a beautiful song with lyrics that seem to be very personal.

From the inside doesn't feel as adventurous or weird as Goes to hell and Lace and whiskey. In some ways it is the most commercial of those three albums but that doesn't really matter when material is so well written and performed without a single bad track to be found.

Two albums that followed it were kind of dissapointing. Flush the fashion was well produced and had a couple really excellent songs (Pain, Headlines) but wasn't that balanced as whole. Special forces didn't have much memorable material and some songs on it where in my opinion quite horrible (You're a movie, You want you got it, You look good in rags). It may be the worst Alice Cooper album for me.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 am

In the '70's, bands had to put out an album per year. If Alice was able to put out the combined best (12 tracks) of GTH & L&W (say in mid '77) under the title of GTH, we'd have one of his best Lp's ever. Sounds like a good debate topic! So I'll go first. 1. Go to Hell 2. It's Hot Tonight (fits the "hell" theme) 3. Didn't We Meet 4. I'm the Coolest 5. Road Rats 6. I Never Cry 7. You Gotta Dance 8. Lace & Whiskey 9. Wish You Were Here 10. You & Me 11. Guilty 12. My God (fits the concept- redemption)

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:44 pm

recoop wrote:Agree re solo on KOSS..great solo on for me an ok track.. i feel the same about the solo on pass the gun around on dada..would like it to have been on a better track..i only have vinyl of lace and w but do like some tracks incl my god if loud(sounds like ELP to me)..FTI for me..great songs, guitars and flows naturally..must get my vinyl out again of L and W
i really like King of the Silver Screen as a song very funny second best track on the album after My God for me. I love all of Dada easily the best of those 4 alternative albums and no surprise with the return of Ezrin and Wagner.

Some killer songs on those other 3 though, I am the Future, Pain and Who Do You Think We Are were all great.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:40 pm

:blush: Cant pick. I love all 3. The many sides of Alice Cooper rock my world.
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *