Sabbath Reunion = ACG Full Reunion?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Sabbath Reunion = ACG Full Reunion?

Post by andyrew » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I know this has been mentioned on here before but I saw the Alice Cooper page post on Facebook that Black Sabbath will be having a reunion with a new album out next year. Does anyone think this will convince ALice to do a full out reunion album with the ACG?

Personally, I like Alice's music whether it is solo or with the group but it would be interesting to have a full reunion album with the group and see whether a big reunion in the music industry starts a trend and propels Alice to do a full one too.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Sabbath Reunion = ACG Full Reunion?

Post by Si » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 pm

andyrew wrote:I know this has been mentioned on here before but I saw the Alice Cooper page post on Facebook that Black Sabbath will be having a reunion with a new album out next year. Does anyone think this will convince ALice to do a full out reunion album with the ACG?
No. It didn`t the last few times they've reformed so why this time?

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:03 pm

> No. It didn`t the last few times they've reformed so why this time?

Maybe with the realization of their age, and the fact that they reunited on W2MN, it will progress into something more in the near future?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:09 pm

>see whether a big reunion in the music industry starts a trend

It's hardly a new phenomenon.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:02 am

The only thing bigger than an ACG reunion would have been a Beatles reunion. Can't Alice hear that the best moments of Welcome2 are with the ACG?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:The only thing bigger than an ACG reunion would have been a Beatles reunion. Can't Alice hear that the best moments of Welcome2 are with the ACG?
Really? Bigger than a pink Floyd reunion? Led zeppelin?

I love the ACG but I think you have an exaggerated view of their popularity.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:21 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:The only thing bigger than an ACG reunion would have been a Beatles reunion. Can't Alice hear that the best moments of Welcome2 are with the ACG?
Really? Bigger than a pink Floyd reunion? Led zeppelin?

I love the ACG but I think you have an exaggerated view of their popularity.
Extremely.
Yes, we love the original band, but 99% of the population still don`t even realise it WAS a band, or care.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:23 am

Hell could freeze over like the Eagles reunion but with global warming I think there is little chance of an ACG reunion album now-chance is between slim and none IMO and as they say slim just left town..a shame maybe but time to move on as long as its not lace and whiskey 2 next
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 am

Alice Cooper was the biggest act on the planet for a couple of years 72/73 breaking the Stones US Box office record and having a number one album both sides of the Atlantic in 73. The period from the School's Out single at number 1 in 72 up until when Leo Abse accused him of "peddling the culture of the concentration camp" in 73 you couldn't get any more famous as a rock act, it crossed over into popular culture it wasn't just some sub culture or just a band. Alice Cooper the focal point of the greatest American band of the early 70s from those moments was always going to be a legend, a legend he has added to since.

An ACG full reunion may never happen, just glad for that reason I made sure I saw the surviving group members with Alice last year even if it was for only half an hour and over 5,000 miles away. Worth every penny!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rob » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 am

If I may put forward a slice of personal philosophy

I think the only way for a band reunion would be to put together a series of small shows, maybe even a short residency at selected venues around the world, with sets that would include a complete album performed live in the first half and then a greatest hits set list in the second half (1969 - 1974) it does not have to be a theatrical show,this way the fans of the original band should be content and also Alice would still be free to carry on with his tour dates indoor/outdoors with his current touring band.
*brick*
It must be true A_Michael said so

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Si wrote: Extremely.
Yes, we love the original band, but 99% of the population still don`t even realise it WAS a band, or care.
Bingo, we have a winner.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:36 pm

I agree with Si one hundred percent and that was always my argument as well. Unless you grew up during the original band's heyday or are an Alice diehard like most of us here (I became a fan in 1980), the average casual fan or non-fan has always thought of Alice has a solo act with a backing band. I was talking to my uncle one day who was talking about how much he used to listen to the "Love It To Death" and "Killer" albums and even he didn't know that Alice Cooper was once an entire band. In other words, you would end up in all likelihood would no real increase in album or ticket sales and would run the risk of hurting the original bands legacy. Not to start anything with anyone, but when I saw the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performances I remember thinking it wasn't any more inspired than Alice's current band.

Alice is the only member of the original band who has continued to perform consistently and not is not a put down to the other guys. I don't know I think you run a serious risk. I am not trying to start anything, but let's take the Sabbath reunion. I love Sabbath, but in my opinion Ozzy hasn't been a good performer in years and have actually grown to prefer the Dio years of the band. Sabbath's original drummer Bill Ward, has been in poor health for years and hasn't performed much and whenever the original Black Sabbath have reunited for a few shows, it is the same setlist again and again. The last two albums Sabbath did with Ozzy were not that good and when they did the Reunion live CD several years ago the two new songs they had weren't that good either.

Just my opinion, but what real motivation would Alice have if he would continue to play the same sized venues, etc. For an original band reunion to be successful, it would take heavy promotion and someone to invest a lot of money into promoting it, etc. I am not sure (And I hate to say it) at this stage of the game, any one is willing to do so.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:05 pm

>In other words, you would end up in all likelihood would no real increase in album or ticket sales and would run the risk of hurting the original bands legacy.

I'm not sure about the "legacy" part, but the rest of that sentence is true. I still don't understand why some people think a reunion would mean that it would be 1973 all over again.

>Not to start anything with anyone, but when I saw the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performances I remember thinking it wasn't any more inspired than Alice's current band.

But it was still great though.

>Just my opinion, but what real motivation would Alice have if he would continue to play the same sized venues, etc.

Exactly. Unfortunately, some people think that it's alright to try and force him to do it if they continually beg, bleat, scream, complain, pout and stamp their feet with enough petulance. It's pretty pathetic.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:46 pm

How can you hurt the legacy of a band that no one knows? Did the tracks on WTMN2 hurt the legacy? Most people seem pretty positive about them.

Judging by the interaction of Alice with Mike/Dennis and Neal in the past year there is a greater chance of them re-uniting than ever before. RRHOF/Album/Jagermeister/Old School Box Set. Prior to that all we had was Mike popping up on stage with Alice occasionally and the half hour Pudding things. I don't believe the ship has sailed yet. Although I'd like more I am happy for what we have got and for the band.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 am

If you are REALLY interested in a "full" ACG album and or tour (big or small)....this is not the site to bother with. Try the facebook pages of the band members and several people who have pages devoted to the ACG. The people here are Alice Cooper fans...first, last, and foremost. Bringing up "reunion" suggestions here is not only repetitive, but of no value or consequence... in short it accomplishes nothing. Anybody with an once of cranial material knows that there will be NO get together of the original members (in ANY form) until ONE former members gives the decree.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 am

I can remember the original ACG although I never saw them live. Their appeal to me (as a 12/13 year old in England in '72 and '73) was as much their visual style as the music. As great as the reunion performances sound it is no longer the same to see them perform as the essential visual image is no longer what it was. In fact they would look ridiculous trying to dress and posture and preen as they once did.In my opinion Alice can continue to perform because he is astute enough to suround himself with younger musicians (Steve Hunter excepted) giving him as the character a more timeless quality.
As for GNDM saying only "one former member" needs to decree a reunion.If Alice doesn't feel it right why should he feel obliged to? It seems to me that they remain good friends and maybe thats more important to all of them than any musical reunion.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:56 am

I have no issue with a ACG reunion, i'd LOVE to see it happen. What i have an issue with is the deluded people who believe that the reunion would set the world alight. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal.... the average music punter is more excited by the idea of seeing the classic line-ups of Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Anthrax, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Black Sabbath etc etc.

Unfortunately, Alice Cooper is known more for the man rather than the band (these days anyway). Obviously it was a totally different kettle of fish back in 1972.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 am

>Bringing up "reunion" suggestions here is not only repetitive, but of no value or consequence... in short it accomplishes nothing.

Exactly.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Robbie wrote:I can remember the original ACG although I never saw them live. Their appeal to me (as a 12/13 year old in England in '72 and '73) was as much their visual style as the music. As great as the reunion performances sound it is no longer the same to see them perform as the essential visual image is no longer what it was. In fact they would look ridiculous trying to dress and posture and preen as they once did.In my opinion Alice can continue to perform because he is astute enough to suround himself with younger musicians (Steve Hunter excepted) giving him as the character a more timeless quality.
As for GNDM saying only "one former member" needs to decree a reunion.If Alice doesn't feel it right why should he feel obliged to? It seems to me that they remain good friends and maybe thats more important to all of them than any musical reunion.
Just to make sure there is no ageism here, I can tell you from first hand experience Dennis & Neal didn't look ridiculous posturing last year at Pudding and looked every bit as 'cool' as the younger bucks in the band these days.

As for Steve Hunter he is still cool and every guitar player that has the honour of working with him in Alice Cooper line ups will learn from the master.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:11 pm

When it goes into logistics...I don't think it will happen.

Is there enough material to perform for an hour and a half?

Is everyone interested in performing songs from nearly 40 years ago? Enough to rehearse and perform over and over for over 100 dates?

Sure, there is an interest with the fans....but, if it were to happen, it would have happened by now, methinks. Alice has a new album to promote...

The reason the Sabbath reunion is going on is for a variety of reasons....not just "we get along". Of course, Money... Ozzy's getting tired of doing it....the other guys are sitting around knitting. "Make nice after the Black Sabbath name ownership lawsuit"...This is the last hurrah for everyone. The coffin is closing.

The difference is...
Alice Cooper's coffin is not closing. yet.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"