A Question about "Charts"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GNDM

A Question about "Charts"

Post by GNDM » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:00 pm

I will admit to having no idea how charts, like Billboard, work. I looked up W2MN on Billboard 200 a week ago that it was around 160 after three weeks. It is gone from that list now. My question is....what does it mean? Starting at #22 seemed good, but lasting only 4 weeks...is that bad or normal? Since I do not have a clue how "sales" are counted nowadays...what do charts like Billboard use as criteria? In short - how is the album doing in sales? Anyone?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: A Question about "Charts"

Post by Si » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:29 pm

It's pretty normal for a rock album. It's well known that rock fans buy albums in quantity as soon as they can, while pop fans need the exposure of radio before they buy it. Rock albums that go UP in the charts normally do so on the strength of a big hit single.

As to what it all means, nowadays it means very little.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:32 pm

It was great to see so many fans buy the album in the first week but in some ways that was to be expected with all the built-in buzz the album had.

At this stage I'm disappointed by the lack of promotion for this album. ACAS had that great video that featured three songs that has nearly 600,000 views on youtube. The video for IBYFO is just concert footage and has nothing to do with the nightmare concept and so far it has only 100,000 views.

I've been assuming they'll release a single and video for WBW but haven't heard anything.

If nothing else happens this was truly a lost opportunity to have a bigger comeback.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 pm

>At this stage I'm disappointed by the lack of promotion for this album.

I don't think you've been paying attention.

>ACAS had that great video that featured three songs that has nearly 600,000 views on youtube. The video for IBYFO is just concert footage and has nothing to do with the nightmare concept and so far it has only 100,000 views.

Yet "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" has sold more copies than "Along Came A Spider" did. How do you explain that?

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:26 pm

darkmenace wrote:ACAS had that great video that featured three songs that has nearly 600,000 views on youtube. The video for IBYFO is just concert footage and has nothing to do with the nightmare concept and so far it has only 100,000 views.
That's an extremely lopsided comparison that you really should have thought about before you posted. The "ACAS" video was published over 3 YEARS ago. Of course it's had time to get that many views. "I'll Bite Your Face Off" video hasn't even been up for 2 months. Are you really going to make that comparison?

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I am (fortunately) old enough to remember when chart positions had some meaning / credibility. There were only maybe fourteen or fifteen number ones in a year as a record may have held sway for five or six weeks as the biggest selling single (never mind the occasional Bryan Adams or Wet Wet Wet distortion). By the late nineties this became a nonsense as it appeared as if each number one, usually an anodyne dance act "featuring", as was the fashion, some equally long forgotten solo "artist lasted only one week at the top of the charts. These top selling records lasted for only a week to be replaced by another equally unmemorable single as various talentless nobodies proclaimed themselves to have had x number of chart topping singles. For what it is worth GNDM I recall listening to an interview with the lead singer of the Rubettes who said a modern chart act needed to sell 50,000 records in a week to achieve a number one. He pointed out that the Rubettes sold this number IN A DAY when they charted with "Sugar Baby Love" in the 70's. Am with Si on this one -the charts now are virtualy meaningless.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:01 pm

I'll stand by what I said: the video promo for ACAS is far superior to anything that has been released for W2MN and given the greater potential for W2MN that's surprising.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:35 pm

The video was well done, but then a different set of circumstances which helped the production of that video too.

However, absolutely nothing has even precluded the possibility of a W2MN featurette next year.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:45 am

I hope so and I hope to see WBW released as a single and maybe even get a video.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:44 am

Right, but you do acknowledge that the video view count comparison between the ACAS mini video and the "Bite Your Face Off" is not a very feasible or reasonable comparison right?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 am

> Am with Si on this one -the charts now are virtualy meaningless.

I was saying that long before he was!

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:44 am

Devon wrote:The video was well done, but then a different set of circumstances which helped the production of that video too.

However, absolutely nothing has even precluded the possibility of a W2MN featurette next year.
Also, if I remember it right, the ACAS video was released after the album came out, maybe a month or two? IBYFO instead was available before W2MN. So MAYBE we may get some more video thing in the future, or maybe not, who knows...
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Yes, I agree that you can't compare views for ACAS video and IBYFO at this stage but I predict that IBYFO won't have anywhere near 600,000 views in 3 years. It's not a great song and it's not nearly as interesting as 3 songs in a kind of "movie" format with a story linking them.

I'm not saying ACAS is a better album than W2MN, I'm saying the promo video is far superior.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:07 am

It's not a great song
Most reactions suggest that others feel differently.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:26 am

IBYFO is one of Alice's best ever.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.