Japan mini lps coming at last

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Vaughan
Trash
Trash

Re: Japan mini lps coming at last

Post by Vaughan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:20 pm

If, but "modern recording techniques" you mean the loudness wars, then I respectfully disagree. I'm just not hearing it, and any suggestion it's a problem is wide of the mark, imo. What I hear is more detail, better isolation of instruments, and clarity. I hear no distortion at all. After what I paid I'd have certainly have returned them if such a problem had existed.

I don't presume to know what masters they used. But I don't really care if they were the same as the Warner discs or not, only that they sound much much better. They don't purport to fix problems with the source, only to remaster the sound that is there. I'm actually very fussy when it comes to sound (I listen to a lot of Classical music, which demands attention to detail and perfection when it comes to sound quality) and am confident in my appraisal.

Still, each to their own. I certainly wouldn't trade these, and fully expect they will be the last time I ever have to buy classic Cooper. I recommend them to Cooper fans without hesitation.

As an aside, I don't know how Cooper fans couldn't be beside themselves with the packaging. Given the short-shrift Cooper has been given in the past, what they've done is just so gorgeous. I'm usually one to focus on the music rather than the packaging, but if ever there was an exception, it's here.

Still, let's agree to disagree. ;)

ps: The Mini LP remasters of the early Tom Waits catalog is also out of this world.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Vaughan wrote:If, but "modern recording techniques" you mean the loudness wars, then I respectfully disagree. I'm just not hearing it, and any suggestion it's a problem is wide of the mark, imo.
The treble is through the roof on many of them... they are "ear bleeders". Not sure what type of equipment you listen on, but it's my experience and others' that these sorts of masterings may sound sufficient on cheap equipment, but will really sound terrible on quality equipment.
Vaughan wrote: What I hear is more detail, better isolation of instruments, and clarity. I hear no distortion at all.
Distortion is not the only symptom. Increased detail is often a result of artificial treble boost, the problem is it's at the expense of the overall sound.
Vaughan wrote: I don't presume to know what masters they used. But I don't really care if they were the same as the Warner discs or not, only that they sound much much better.
I think it's interesting that old flaws have reappeared. Not good.
Vaughan wrote: They don't purport to fix problems with the source, only to remaster the sound that is there.
They should use the best source possible. If the master has damage, I'd prefer to use a safety copy. Perhaps they are not using the original master, however.
Vaughan wrote: Still, each to their own. I certainly wouldn't trade these, and fully expect they will be the last time I ever have to buy classic Cooper. I recommend them to Cooper fans without hesitation.
Have you even heard the Audio Fidelity discs?
Vaughan wrote: As an aside, I don't know how Cooper fans couldn't be beside themselves with the packaging. Given the short-shrift Cooper has been given in the past, what they've done is just so gorgeous. I'm usually one to focus on the music rather than the packaging, but if ever there was an exception, it's here.
Packing is cool if that's your thing, but I prefer sound quality. I don't get too excited about re-manufactured items.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Vaughan
Trash
Trash

Post by Vaughan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 pm

I have a Linn system, and I can assure you they make some decent stuff. I really have no idea what you're talking about with regards to these being "through the roof" - they're patently not.

But you know, you'll find all kinds of things around the net, you just have to learn not to believe everything you read. For example, I read that the bass was pumped up too much on the Japanese masters, and here I'm reading it's the treble. At the same time - on AVMANIACS - you'll find someone claiming the Schools Out by Audio Fidelity sounds awful, and on the strength of it they decided against buying Love It To Death. Others in the thread claim Killer is much improved......... You'll find another thread around where someone compared the AF discs with these, and they found that to their ear, half the tracks were better on the AF, and half on the Japanese discs.... go figure.

When it comes to sound quality it's largely subjective. I certainly have no trouble with your not liking the Japanese remasters - only that you claim "The treble is through the roof on many of them... they are "ear bleeders", which is quite some way from the truth (based on my owning the discs and playing them often).

The packaging was an add-on for me, a nice bonus. I'd never have bought them just for the packaging. I simply wanted remasters of the early catalog, which is what I got. They sound amazing, and I'd encourage anyone who is interested to listen themselves rather than believe hyperbole from naysayers. I have no reason to recommend these discs other than they're the best I've heard this music - but each to their own!

ps: I might add, given the lack of any other remastering for many of the titles, the Japanese discs are in a company of one. Sadly.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm

>I might add, given the lack of any other remastering for many of the titles, the Japanese discs are in a company of one.

I would have to check but I don't think that is correct. I think at least half of the albums released as mini LPs have already been remastered not just (but including) the ones released by Audio Fidelity. Whether they or any others are satisfactory or not is another matter.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Vaughan wrote:I have a Linn system, and I can assure you they make some decent stuff. I really have no idea what you're talking about with regards to these being "through the roof" - they're patently not.
I've heard them, and some of them have boosted treble.
Vaughan wrote: But you know, you'll find all kinds of things around the net, you just have to learn not to believe everything you read.
Who's talking about reading? As I've pointed out several times, I've heard them for myself.
Vaughan wrote: For example, I read that the bass was pumped up too much on the Japanese masters, and here I'm reading it's the treble. At the same time - on AVMANIACS - you'll find someone claiming the Schools Out by Audio Fidelity sounds awful, and on the strength of it they decided against buying Love It To Death.
Interesting that you cite your opinions from things you've read yet have not heard the discs for themselves.

I've never once heard anyone describe the Audio Fidelity as "awful". I will say that of that AF releases, SO has benefited the least as compared to the original WB CD but it's not awful in any definition of the word. If anything, that says something about the original WB CD.
Vaughan wrote: When it comes to sound quality it's largely subjective. I certainly have no trouble with your not liking the Japanese remasters - only that you claim "The treble is through the roof on many of them... they are "ear bleeders", which is quite some way from the truth (based on my owning the discs and playing them often).
I agree it is subjective to a certain degree, however you've not indicated you've heard the Audio Fidelity discs yourself but yet seem quite certain that they are inferior to the SHM discs.

By in large, I've read many opinions on the SHM discs and while some people like them, most prefer the Audio Fidelity discs. Personally, from what I heard I did not like them as the EQ applied is overbearing to the music. I prefer a much warmer sound than is represented on the SHM discs. In fact, I prefer the original Warner Bros. discs over them where applicable.
Vaughan wrote:They sound amazing, and I'd encourage anyone who is interested to listen themselves rather than believe hyperbole from naysayers.
Yes, I'd encourage one to listen to something and form their own opinion, unlike some people. ;)

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 am

As i recall there are some screencaps of comparing the levels of various albums gold vs SHM. showing the SHM to be much higher. Which isn't always bad. But really isn't needed.

I would love to see the Coop albums given the SACD treatment. Now that DVD-A is all but dead. The versions of Nightmare and Billion Dollar Babies is quite nice on DVD-A

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:58 am

RemarkablyInsincer Have you heard the Japan Mini of L&W? if so what do you think of it? I think it is a nice improvement over the original warner CD and even LP . I have only the L&W and GTH Japan minis and not the others and havent heard the others. I am happy with the sound of L&W especially as we all know how that recording sounds anyway.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 pm

steven15322 wrote:RemarkablyInsincer Have you heard the Japan Mini of L&W? if so what do you think of it? I think it is a nice improvement over the original warner CD and even LP . I have only the L&W and GTH Japan minis and not the others and havent heard the others. I am happy with the sound of L&W especially as we all know how that recording sounds anyway.
Yes, I have heard it. The original WB CD doesn't sound too great, I agree, but I believe that's more about the production than the mastering. My opinion of the L&W SHM was similar to a lot of the other ones in that it sounded to me like the high end was boosted artificially. Something just sounds "off" about them, the highs are out of balance with the overall music.

If you prefer them, enjoy them. We all have our own tastes. And the packaging is top notch.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:13 pm

I just listened to some of the L&W SHM again and my opinion hasn't changed.

I would love to hear what Steve Hoffman could do with this album as I think the result would be less artificial retaining the balance of the music while giving it the "breath of life" he is known for.