As A Huge Fan Of Alice And The Ramones

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

As A Huge Fan Of Alice And The Ramones

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:15 pm

I can't belive until recently I never noticed the similarities between I Wanna Be Sedated and Elected. I'm probably the only one who didn't notice but if not just listen to the lines "Twenty-twenty-twenty -four hours to go, I wanna be sedated" and "I'm your top prime cut of meat, I'm your choice, I wanna be elected" once I figured it out I looked it up and sure enough Joey Ramone had commented in the past that the song was somewhat inspired by Elected
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Re: As A Huge Fan Of Alice And The Ramones

Post by Kristian » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Joey (who wrote "I wanna be sedated") was a fan of Alice, to some degree - he was on a tribute record and also played some AC live, without the Ramones... That being said, I don't see huge similarities between those two songs - but I see a bit of inspiration in Joey's singing style, perhaps... the "snotty", faux-British way of singing that you see both guys doing, that could be something Joey got from Alice.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Good taste horrorholic but don't see much similarity there..I think you may be suffering
from an acute case of seeing the influence of Alice everywhere..many of us have have had this..the only answer is to listen to more Alice records until it wears off..a kind of exposure therapy. :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Let's not to mention that they looked almost like brothers in the eighties... except that Joey never needed any make up to look like a freak. And I say that in a loving way!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 pm

>was a fan of Alice, to some degree

A little bit more than that, I think.

>being said, I don't see huge similarities between those two songs

The melody is almost the same during the segment that was referred to.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Michael, I phrased it that way as Joey actually said some not very kind words about Alice later on... I think he went from being a die-hard fan to being a more relaxed kind of fan.

As for the similarities between those two songs, I think it's nothing more than both artists using a very common structure that's likely to have been around forever. But not really important! Hail both, and Joey RIP!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:55 pm

http://youtu.be/u_0NgjlbZgw

Above should be Joey doing 18..theres a good pic somewhere on the net of Joey towering over Alice in picture..looked good friends at time.a few tributes to Joey mentioned that he adopted the vocal style of Alice(and Iggy)...

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Yup, I actually posted that very clip here some time ago :)
I don't think there was real animosity between them at any point, but Joey seems to have been a bit disappointed in the "untrue towards rock and roll" lifestyle that Alice had when he became a star...

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Wasn't aware of Joeys less positive words re Alice..as an add on, I remember reading decades ago that one of the Ramones who met Alice was expecting a sort of hellraiser but got a chilled out guy..Alice I guess being himself and not his stage persona..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:23 pm

>Michael, I phrased it that way as Joey actually said some not very kind words about Alice later on... I think he went from being a die-hard fan to being a more relaxed kind of fan.

Yes. I think he definitely preferred the earlier stuff. I was there when they met for the first time and I guess he seemed pretty glad to be there.

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:30 am

Speaking of this, have you ever noticed that the first two chords at the beginning of The Ramones "Hair of the Dog" sound just like "Elected"?
Not saying anybody copied anything, just that the two sound incredibly similar.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:44 am

MonsterDog wrote:Speaking of this, have you ever noticed that the first two chords at the beginning of The Ramones "Hair of the Dog" sound just like "Elected"?
Both are Hendrix's 'Dolly Dagger' if I recall.