The story of W2MN

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: The story of W2MN

Post by ElectedPlus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:35 pm

joke or not, it's accurate! But the waking up to the nightmare thing is a good thought.

Speaking of the overture, there's one tune in it I can't figure out ... the piano piece that comes in at 3:13. What's playing?

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:joke or not, it's accurate! But the waking up to the nightmare thing is a good thought.

Speaking of the overture, there's one tune in it I can't figure out ... the piano piece that comes in at 3:13. What's playing?
Hey dude it's ghouls gone wild.
Boomshanka

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, it's so obvious now!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 pm

On the surface, Brutal Planet is seen as a 'socially aware' concept, but essentially a Christian rock album at the heart of it. Quite often, Cooper is getting a message across in a rather disguised/indirect manner (which he was doing in the earlier years, but in a less 'conscious way'), so read 'between the lines' as well.

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:01 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
MacQueen wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:Or it could be just an overture of songs from both albums.

Do you know why I think that? Because that's what it is!

Don't be a downer. There's already too many on this site as it is.
Lol, I was only joking!
Apologies.

An explanation for my earlier post. Alice stated that he always had to give his character some kind of escape. To me, waking up dead isn't that much of an escape. lol.

Plus it would be pretty grim to have Alice kill off Steven in totality...unless Alice plans to have Steven come back from the dead in the next one. Assuming there will be a next one.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 am

You never know Alice Cooper Goes 2 Hell could be next. Steven escaping with a Freddy's Dead kinda escape back into the real world.

I wonder if Alice ever wrote a Golf song. sort of a hatred of it if you will.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:35 am

But W2MN is essentially another 'hell' album isn't it? As is Dragontown and Goes to Hell - they are all pretty much the same story.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:24 am

Who's says they can't retell that story in modern way.

Although from here you could really go in any direction with the next album. Continue the story or enter a new nightmare.I thing the albums have always been open to allow for any number of outcomes.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:41 am

What, you mean from descending into Dante's Inferno to a picture of modern human society of greed, financial irresponsibility, bad temper, self-opiniated individualism, materialistic (scientifically and posession-wise), violent, exploitation of sex, debasing of language by advertisement and propaganda? Yes, that's the way the message should go I think; depict 'hell' as what we have created on this planet rather than to some allegorical place or dream-nightmare even.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Gunner wrote:
What, you mean from descending into Dante's Inferno to a picture of modern human society of greed, financial irresponsibility, bad temper, self-opiniated individualism, materialistic (scientifically and posession-wise), violent, exploitation of sex, debasing of language by advertisement and propaganda? Yes, that's the way the message should go I think; depict 'hell' as what we have created on this planet rather than to some allegorical place or dream-nightmare even.
Didn't Alice already cover all of that on Brutal Planet?

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:39 pm

> Didn't Alice already cover all of that on Brutal Planet?

And Dragontown?

I don't think he should do another Nightmare after this. The time frame between 2 and 3 would be way too short PLUS, he has done the 2 album thing...*Along Came a Spider and W2MN. Now it's time for another couple...most likely 2 hard rock albums? But then again, he could shock us and do another concept album. I'd really like to see him do 2 hard rock albums for his next one that are loosely based around a concept and for the last one, he can finish off the Nightmare Trilogy that brings together the styles from the first and second. :rock:

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Brutal Planet I think so

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Not really, kind of, but, all kind of fictional. Dragontown the same. That IS how society is already, we don't need some sort of apocalyptic vision, or some sort of allegorical representation of this fictional place we MAY end up in.

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I want Alice to build from this and create new stuff with Dennis, Neil, Michael, and Steve. To actually achieve that classic early 70's feel. It could be polished or raw for all I care, just as long as it continues to sound better and have better quality than Dirty Diamonds

But on the other hand, if that's it for Dennis, Michael, Neal and Steve I'm cool with that. Alice Cooper has always been more than just the sum of it's parts. It's unfortunate that some people cannot see that and are stuck in the past.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Alice Cooper IS more than the sum of the parts (like anything is that lives of course), I have been saying this for years. I would like Alice to work with Dennis, Neal and Michael again, I still think that's where the REAL chemistry is with the Alice Cooper concept.

Twiggy5Manson
Trash
Trash

Post by Twiggy5Manson » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I think after the 3 tracks on this record, a whole album with the original line-up is the way to go for the next one.