I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: SickThings, Devon, Si, Gorehound, Shoesalesman

In Chick
Killer
Killer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by In Chick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:46 pm

With or without that sound effect, I love that song.

User avatar
Devils Food
Killer
Killer
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by Devils Food » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 am

Parish wrote:
Devils Food wrote:The singer/song hook is a thing of beauty.
After that he says I am made of you way too many times unfortunately but......He is telling his fans he survived all of it. Paying tribute to us.

It all starts with Caffeine IMO.
Dang it I wish I liked this record a lot more than I do.

The singer/song thing soungs EXACTLY like Barry Manilow...

goo, gawd, awful...
Your beef is with the opener... Good god are you misguided. Disco this, disco that should be the rub on this record. :angry:

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Devils Food wrote: Your beef is with the opener... Good god are you misguided. Disco this, disco that should be the rub on this record. :angry:
I have so many beefs with this record I could open a butcher shop. I was just responding to someone else who thought that the singer/song line was brilliant :bam:

"When disco's to hell" is just pun-ishingly bad and yes its one of the multitude of rubs here that could supply a massage parlor for a year.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Contact:

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Then you must hate the song, Dyslexia......"Is Dis Love, or is Dys-lex-ia...". That's funny....to me, that is...

Really, I am laughing while I type.... :rotfl:

You see, I get the humor....sad to be you.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

froginsox
Trash
Trash
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:43 am

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by froginsox » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:43 am

Anyone would think that this is the only time that Alice used a voice altering effect. "Alma Mater" and "Lace and Whiskey" come to mind

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by Mr. Skull » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:56 am

Ghouls gone wild is funny to me because of that kind of Bucks Fizz-ish atmosphere !
I really do love this album !

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:49 am
Location: United States

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:53 am

FWIW, this is a comment straight from Alice himself during the "Twitterview" tonight.

" #askalicecoopersg seriously autotunes on welcome 2 my nightmare? seriously you need it ? need you?"

"It's not autotune. It's a square wave vocoder effect. It's made to make my voice sound digital & to make you uncomfortable"
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by Devon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:05 am

#askalicecoopersg seriously autotunes on welcome 2 my nightmare? seriously you need it ? need you?"
^^^I have to admire Kyler for patiently addressing this issue after SEVERAL times of doing so on Facebook and YouTube. However, since it was on Twitter I hope it reached a good amount of people to put this issue to rest for that audience (but considering how much people LOVE to pay attention I'm sure it will be brought up again.) This AutoTune subject has seriously gotten on my last nerve.

I don't mind talking about the effect, but the fact that people seem to not understand what AutoTune is and getting the idea it was used to fix his voice (even though the effect wasn't even used) is what's driving me nuts.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by James1981 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am

Devon wrote:
#askalicecoopersg seriously autotunes on welcome 2 my nightmare? seriously you need it ? need you?"
^^^I have to admire Kyler for patiently addressing this issue after SEVERAL times of doing so on Facebook and YouTube. However, since it was on Twitter I hope it reached a good amount of people to put this issue to rest for that audience (but considering how much people LOVE to pay attention I'm sure it will be brought up again.) This AutoTune subject has seriously gotten on my last nerve.

I don't mind talking about the effect, but the fact that people seem to not understand what AutoTune is and getting the idea it was used to fix his voice (even though the effect wasn't even used) is what's driving me nuts.
Totally agree with you it's really starting to annoy me now. What's worse it that even when I tell people it's not auto tune but a square wave vocoder effect they don't believe me. They think I'm just in denial about Alice using autotune. Grr!!! Hopefully the above quote will put an end to the issue but I doubt it.
Boomshanka

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by homerx » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 am

You have to Listen to the song to understand what's happening. I think some just give up before giving it a chance. Listen to what's being said in the song. One of the best tracks on the album.

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 am

I find it quite pathetic that people are so fickle that they won't listen to a song if a particular effect is used. It's an audio effect for God's sake, not a piece of last seasons clothing.

User avatar
scotty
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1325
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:50 am
Location: US,ohio
Contact:

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by scotty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm

it doesn't even encompass that much of the song,if you think about it!

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:38 pm

I obviously don't have an issue with anyone who simply dislikes the song, or even dislikes the vocal effect. What grates on me is all the people who are jumping on this 'auto-tune' hating bandwagon. It's just laziness on their part to not even understand what the effect is and to dismiss the song based on it's inclusion.

Do these same people hate the use of delay, flange, reverb, Eq, distortion, overdrive, compression and chorus effects used on Alice's vocals too?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:13 pm

>It's just laziness on their part to not even understand what the effect is and to dismiss the song based on it's inclusion.

Exactly and that applies to many other issues that are discussed here as well.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4113
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:I obviously don't have an issue with anyone who simply dislikes the song, or even dislikes the vocal effect. What grates on me is all the people who are jumping on this 'auto-tune' hating bandwagon. It's just laziness on their part to not even understand what the effect is and to dismiss the song based on it's inclusion.

Do these same people hate the use of delay, flange, reverb, Eq, distortion, overdrive, compression and chorus effects used on Alice's vocals too?

No they don't. They just hate thie effect. Vodocoda or not it sounds like auto tune. This horrible effect is associated with A LOT of crap music and some people think it shouldn't be on an Alice Cooper song. It is not being
" lazy " to disloke a song because of certain elements in the song. You either like it or you don't.

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:59 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:I obviously don't have an issue with anyone who simply dislikes the song, or even dislikes the vocal effect. What grates on me is all the people who are jumping on this 'auto-tune' hating bandwagon. It's just laziness on their part to not even understand what the effect is and to dismiss the song based on it's inclusion.

Do these same people hate the use of delay, flange, reverb, Eq, distortion, overdrive, compression and chorus effects used on Alice's vocals too?

No they don't. They just hate thie effect. Vodocoda or not it sounds like auto tune. This horrible effect is associated with A LOT of crap music and some people think it shouldn't be on an Alice Cooper song. It is not being
" lazy " to disloke a song because of certain elements in the song. You either like it or you don't.
So because you 'associate' the effect with lots of crap music, you are dismissing the song?

How very fickle of you.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Contact:

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Since we are speaking of Vocoder effects...

"Trans is the twelfth studio album by Canadian musician Neil Young, released in 1982. Recorded partially and released during his notorious Geffen era in the 1980s, Trans baffled many Neil Young fans. Some suggested that the album could be a satirical message that Young was trying to send about the direction music was headed in the future. A vocoder features prominently in five of the nine tracks. While the album was poorly received, some critics point out that the melodies are strong and that the album involves Young addressing new musical movements, as he did previously on Rust Never Sleeps and later with the grunge movement."

This is one of my favorite Neil Young albums...and vocoder effects are cool to me. Alice Rules!....and he is allowed to use vocal effects if he wants to...especially after 40 years of making music.
Last edited by GailsFriend on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4113
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:25 pm

You posts are very tiring. The blind defense of everything Alice is just stupid. This was aimed at the person with the silly macho pic.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4113
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Since we are speaking of Vocoder effects...

"Trans is the twelfth studio album by Canadian musician Neil Young, released in 1982. Recorded partially and released during his notorious Geffen era in the 1980s, Trans baffled many Neil Young fans. Some suggested that the album could be a satirical message that Young was trying to send about the direction music was headed in the future. A vocoder features prominently in five of the nine tracks. While the album was poorly received, some critics point out that the melodies are strong and that the album involves Young addressing new musical movements, as he did previously on Rust Never Sleeps and later with the grunge movement."

This is one of my favorite Neil Young albums...and vocoder effects are cool to me. Alice Rules!....and he is allowed to use vocal effects if he wants to...especially after 40 years of making music.

Of course he is and people are free to like or dislike.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Contact:

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Then complain to Alice, if you're dissatisfied with his work.

If I like it, so what?
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Post Reply