I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:36 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Then complain to Alice, if you're dissatisfied with his work.

If I like it, so what?

No idea what you are talking about. Feel free to carry on liking Alice.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:39 pm

whoops! my mistake, Pitkin. I thought you were talking to me...
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:23 pm

pitkin88 wrote:You posts are very tiring. The blind defense of everything Alice is just stupid. This was aimed at the person with the silly macho pic.
Please refer to the post where I am 'blindly' defending Alice.

Oh, and the 'macho' pic was taken at a fancy dress party. I just happen to look incredibly sexy in it.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:43 pm

you should blindly defend Alice....believe in Alice!

Where else are you gonna find incredibly trashy lyrics like..."perspiration of my testiculation" in rock music today? Certainly not on a Decemberists album....

only your hero, Alice Cooper, will save you from incredibly boring bands and their lyrics....

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:24 pm

>It is not being
" lazy " to disloke a song because of certain elements in the song.

To be more accurate, the effect in question isn't an element of the composition. Rather, it's an affect that is added during the recording. So it's possible to like the composition but not the effect.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:27 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>It is not being
" lazy " to disloke a song because of certain elements in the song.

To be more accurate, the effect in question isn't an element of the composition. Rather, it's an affect that is added during the recording. So it's possible to like the composition but not the effect.

I think I could like it without the effect. As it is right now I can barely get past the beginning.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:03 pm

>I think I could like it without the effect.

That's what I'm saying. Also though, Devon pointed out earlier, it's such a relatively small part of the recording that it shouldn't really affect whether anyone likes it or not.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 pm

I own a business where I am in the fortunate position of being able to play the music of my choice to Record Producers, musicians, sound engineers and music fans.....

" I Am Made Of You " has been my " sit down and Listen To This song " since getting hold of W2MN ... it's played very loud , on a good hi-fi , in almost total silence .....Oh, and no clues about the performer whatsoever.

I can't remember a song being immediately loved by so many music fans and people in the business......And I really mean pinned back in the chair ,cleary impressed ..

Usually ,about half way through Steve Hunter's solo , they plead to be put out of their misery , by which time the array of guesses get longer ( Usually young bands ....I think the oldest artist guessed at was World Party )
The unanimously ecstatic comments have discussed the strengh of the soaring vocal performance, the epic/dramatic production, the quality of the song-writing, and the guitar solo .............and the desire to hear it again ....then hear more tracks.

I've done this possibly 60 times now and a pattern is emerging from my willing ( and blown away )
captives .........

Not ONE person has commented negatively about any effect used in the production of the song !
NOT ONE .

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 pm

I respect the opinion of everryone here, but guys c'mon it's just an effect that doesnt change alice's voice. Alice's voice is still there and remains the same we know and love.... it just adds something eerie to the song.
Alice doenst need auto tune, it was said several times that IT ISNT. ALice himself said so and explained why.
Without the prejudice I think you can really like or dislike one song, but try to make a fair analysis, otherwise I think you're not seeing the complete picture here which is the mood and sensations Alice builds or try to do so in the complete album.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:43 am

pitkin88 wrote:

No they don't. They just hate thie effect. Vodocoda or not it sounds like auto tune. This horrible effect is associated with A LOT of crap music and some people think it shouldn't be on an Alice Cooper song.
And that's the flaw with the reasoning. Those people are finding fault with an effect that they don't understand because of their preconceived notion of what AutoTune is and what it does for OTHER artists. However, I think of all of those complaining about it on the net I can count maybe 3 people who actually legitimately felt it altered Alice's voice too much for them.

Simply saying "Oh.. I don't like it because other artists use it and it doesn't sound good on them" shows that it's not a well thought out criticism. Then of course we get into the even more brilliant comments about helping to fix Alice's vocals, which makes absolutely NO sense especially when it's used on the calm parts of the song and goes completely away when Alice is BELTING the life out the chorus.

So to sum it up, it's not the fact of disliking the effect that's the problem, it's the reasoning most of those same people have used which is where the huge issues are (and not to mention the fact they have the effect mistaken.)

No wonder Brian gave up on the mailing lists.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:52 pm

"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:38 am

Just to add to what Devon said above, the effect is very useful in putting emphasis on the emotion later on. The vocal effect makes things appear cold, unfeeling and very matter-of-fact. Then you get Alice without the effect at points in the song where the emotion and perhaps vulnerability really need to come out, and it works.

For me, this is what makes the song. This effect adds to the song, doesn't take from it.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:22 am

The effect; it is SO subtle, I don't know what the fuss is about really. Personally, I don't feel it is necessary myself, but it doesn't spoil the track in any shape or form for me. If you notice, the effect is only on the verses that are reflective, and so the effect gives the feeling of a drowsy, hazy memory of how he was when detached from divine inspiration and guidance. With respect to someone's comment about it being about 'slipping back into the nightmare', this concurs with my notion that the only way this track could relate to the rest of the album is by Alice's nightmare of being detached from God again and ending up in hell. The album is another 'hell album' and the majority of Alice's work since, say, 1994 has been almost 'missionary' to a large extent. I wonder how many Christian Cooper fans are proud of him, how many non-Christian fans actually understand this, and Alice fans have found his message and responded?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:45 am

Gunner wrote:The effect; it is SO subtle, I don't know what the fuss is about really. Personally, I don't feel it is necessary myself, but it doesn't spoil the track in any shape or form for me. If you notice, the effect is only on the verses that are reflective, and so the effect gives the feeling of a drowsy, hazy memory of how he was when detached from divine inspiration and guidance. With respect to someone's comment about it being about 'slipping back into the nightmare', this concurs with my notion that the only way this track could relate to the rest of the album is by Alice's nightmare of being detached from God again and ending up in hell.
Spot on.

froginsox
Trash
Trash

Post by froginsox » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:53 am

Gunner wrote: I wonder how many Christian Cooper fans are proud of him, how many non-Christian fans actually understand this, and Alice fans have found his message and responded?
I'm a non christian and I can barely dress my self let alone comprehend complex things like Alice Cooper Lyrics

I wonder how many non-necrophiliac Cooper fans understand what "I love the dead" was about.

There are of course christian undertones in a lot of his albums...but to say he is some kind of evangelical missionary is a bit of a stretch

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:30 am

>There are of course christian undertones in a lot of his albums

Exactly. It's not like it's something new.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Gunner wrote:The effect; it is SO subtle, I don't know what the fuss is about really. Personally, I don't feel it is necessary myself, but it doesn't spoil the track in any shape or form for me. If you notice, the effect is only on the verses that are reflective, and so the effect gives the feeling of a drowsy, hazy memory of how he was when detached from divine inspiration and guidance. With respect to someone's comment about it being about 'slipping back into the nightmare', this concurs with my notion that the only way this track could relate to the rest of the album is by Alice's nightmare of being detached from God again and ending up in hell. The album is another 'hell album' and the majority of Alice's work since, say, 1994 has been almost 'missionary' to a large extent. I wonder how many Christian Cooper fans are proud of him, how many non-Christian fans actually understand this, and Alice fans have found his message and responded?

I get it, but, but, I don't get it!

I don't think Alice's personal view of religion changes anything on his music, it just gets more deep, more emotional. I don't think he is trying to be a missionary at any point. God has been on his songs even before 1994, anyway.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am

but to say he is some kind of evangelical missionary is a bit of a stretch
I don't want to get into religion here of course (and neither would Si), but if you knew more about Christianity you wouldn't find that notion such a stretch at all, not in the slightest. What I would say is; go, ask a committed Christian if there is a missionary element to Alice Cooper these days - that's all, don't take my word for it. It's what every member of a church is expected to do for starters, so when you have an audiance (some young and rebellious) as he does, it's a perfect medium to work through ("Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10).
I don't think Alice's personal view of religion changes anything on his music,
True, only a lot of the lyrics that's all.
God has been on his songs even before 1994, anyway.
Yes, but whilst it is fair to say that he is not a re-born Christian as such, he really returned to the faith in 1994 and joined a church.

After a discussion with a minister, when Alice felt he could no longer justify the character's antics, he was assured that he could continue by letting God work through Alice ("you're the singer I'm the song"), as that was His very intention.

I'm saying no more on the matter, but all I would say to many of you is; Don't underestimate the work to be undertaken by a Christian if you are not in a Church. If Alice made ONE convert from his efforts it would be worth it to the faith.

You can reply to this, but I am saying no more on the matter. Don't argue with me, ask a Christian.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:04 pm

>It's what every member of a church is expected to do for starters, so when you have an audiance (some young and rebellious) as he does, it's a perfect medium to work through ("Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10).

So why did he make it clear there was to be no proselytizing involved in the services and facilities to be provided by The Rock, then?

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:48 pm

I think that the way Alice incorporates his spiritual views with his humor without going to extremes is the key.

Certain elements have gone away, while some have remained to keep Alice-the character-still intact.

-he got rid of the red athletic cup....less necrophilia overtones....no baby chopping on stage....

Now Alice-the character-serves as a rebellious youth sympathizer. Clashing against societal norms---kill Britney Spears!---I am Eighteen-and-I- like-it---idea. Although, the recent Nurse Rozetta performance totally threw me for a loop! Now, that was trashy!