I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 am

unafraid wrote:
Robbie wrote:We all know Alice is a great vocalist so I just view Autotune on the track as an effect to enhance the atmosphere of the song.
I think it slightly detracts from the atmosphere he's trying to create. Regardless of what he thinks, he didn't have to do it. Sounds a bit like Weird Al meets Cher to me.
Cher maybe, but I'm starting to get tired of hearing the name 'weird al' on this forum.

Utter nonsense

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:22 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
unafraid wrote:
Robbie wrote:We all know Alice is a great vocalist so I just view Autotune on the track as an effect to enhance the atmosphere of the song.
I think it slightly detracts from the atmosphere he's trying to create. Regardless of what he thinks, he didn't have to do it. Sounds a bit like Weird Al meets Cher to me.
Cher maybe, but I'm starting to get tired of hearing the name 'weird al' on this forum.

Utter nonsense
Toatally agree with you. One person in a review said Weird Al and a lot of people seen to be copying that. There is NOTHING on this album even remotley like Weird Al.
Boomshanka

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:27 am

I think the effect works, BUT that it is not neccessary at all, as Cooper's voice is extrememly expressive. He's prbably the last person to need an effect like that. However, it is not bothering me like it seems to be bothering others.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 am

>However, it is not bothering me like it seems to be bothering others.

Exactly. I don't understand this obsession with this issue. If anyone wants to hear the vocal without that effect, it's REALLY NOT THAT HARD to IMAGINE what it might sound like.

charlie2times
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by charlie2times » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Being stupid, i didn't realise that this effect was what they called autotune.
i thought autotune was when they made someone who can't sing sound like they can sing.
I always called it the 'cher' effect, as she was the person who did this years ago when it was expensive, but now it's cheap, every other record has it on, and it usually sounds cheap and nasty, just like the dance records it's being used on.

Having said that, when it's done right, as in i am made of you, it makes a good voice sound both electronic and ethereal.

I really think that this song is a genuine work of art as it is.

It would be interesting to hear it without the gizmo, but then we all know what ALice would sound like singing it straight.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Were "Perfect" and "The Saga of Jesse Jane" autotuned? I always thought that Alice sang those in such a different way than any other song he has done. But now that this autotune thing has been brought up i'm curious to know since those songs sound so different from his ussual voice. I always admired him for his different vocal range so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't autotuned.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:42 pm

>Being stupid, i didn't realise that this effect was what they called autotune.

If you look at the post from a few hours ago, you'll see it is not.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:47 pm

> But now that this autotune thing has been brought up i'm curious to know since those songs sound so different from his ussual voice.

This isn't a comment on the above post necessarily, but this thread is on the verge of getting really silly. With regards the two songs just mentioned, in the first, he's trying to sound like John Lennon and in the other, he's trying to sound like Johnny Cash, just like he tried to sound like Jim Morrison in "Desperado" and I'm willing to bet there was no effect used there.
That isn't to say that there has never been any 'tweaking', but hopefully no - one is going to get carried away with this subject.

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Post by alicespoisonuk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Sarah wrote:I was a bit hesitant about autotune because whenever I've heard it used before I've always found it really annoying. But in this song, I think it works really well, and it's not overdone. Definitely one of my favourite tracks on the album.
Agree with you Sarah - it could even be my fav track of all time! I think this thread has gone a bit off track unless I misunderstood the initial query which was will we ever hear the track without the autotune to which the answer is no. :p

M
"You trade your soul for another taste....."

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:24 pm

As i have stated in a previous thread, the effect is more akin to 'Vocoder' rather than auto-tune.

For those interested in achieving similar results at home, you can purchase pedal versions of similar effects as i have done.... check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPF5nHcmmGk

unafraid
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by unafraid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:30 pm

It's Alice trying to sound like Soundwave (Transformers). Whatever, you get the idea. I guess not.
You got the picnic, I got the ants.

unafraid
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by unafraid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Devon wrote:
So auto tune actually isn't used at all apparently.
You can bet Autotune (the real one) is used throughout the album, we all know how bad Alice can sound live.
You got the picnic, I got the ants.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:39 pm

>we all know how bad Alice can sound live.

Do "we" really?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:06 pm

unafraid wrote:
Devon wrote:
You can bet Autotune (the real one) is used throughout the album, we all know how bad Alice can sound live.
We "know" nothing of the sort. Besides NO ONE has suggested Alice's vocals on the album have been "fixed" in anyway.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:19 pm

unafraid wrote:
Devon wrote:
What an idiotic thing to say

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:22 pm

It's not as if it's the first time the vocals have been heavily treated. "Alma Mater" springs immediately to my mind.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Tweaking and altering is nothing new, but with ProTools is 10x a lot easier to do now. Vocally and musically there have been tricks and cheats for a few decades that have been done (some discovered by accident, some on purpose.) Even Pink Floyd had to use a vocal cheat for David Gilmour on the "Wish You Were Here" album!

But since we KNOW that auto-tune wasn't used in the capacity that had been previously thought, admittedly even by me, it's no good to discuss the ifs, ands and buts about it in regards to "I Am Made of You."

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:18 am

Really surprised at some of the vehemence on its use. I understand the theoritical abhorence, but here it is clearly used as processing effect. Heck, slide the delay over to the flange range and you would get a similar effect. All vocals go through some processing, not sure how people see the use here as "cheating". I found it quite effective.

cblakey1
Trash
Trash

Post by cblakey1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 am

Unfortunately auto-tune is used for 1 out of every 5 no talents on lamestream radio today.

Guess if Alice wants to join that club, it's his choice.

Personally, I think it adds nothing to the song.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:31 pm

cblakey1 wrote:Unfortunately auto-tune is used for 1 out of every 5 no talents on lamestream radio today.

Guess if Alice wants to join that club, it's his choice.

Personally, I think it adds nothing to the song.
The "effect " Alice uses on this song has been around in rock music since the times of the first Nightmare .... The vocoder was used on the early Alan Parsons Project albums in the mid- seventies , and it's clear that the effect is very similar ...... Auto-tune ? That is used for different reasons ..... People try and hide the fact that they have used it .- Ron Sexsmith is currently being criticised for it's over-use on his new album ..... But this song ? .... Different thing completely ...... It sounds fantastic with the effect Bob Exrin has used ....
Last edited by alan1958 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.