Re-Sequencing W2MN

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Re-Sequencing W2MN

Post by andyrew » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Am I the only one who put we gotta get out of this place after When Hell Comes Home? The first part of the lyrics go perfectly with an afterthought of what happened during when hell comes home!

Watch my daddy in bed a-dyin'
Watched his hair been turnin' grey
He's been workin' and slavin' his life away
Oh yes I know it

It might not relate directly to it but its pretty close

:alice:

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Post by In Chick » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Yes, but, the storyteller urges Steven to go to sleep, experience this nightmare and thus decend into the depths of his mental state.

But who is having "this nightmare" to begin with?
Do you know, Andy ?

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:43 am

"Am I the only one who put we gotta get out of this place after When Hell Comes Home?"

I don't think it fits at all. In We Gotta, the singer is empathizing with the struggles his father went through and trying to escape from the same fate. In When Hell, the singer (Steven) despises what his father does and wants to put him to death for the hell he has brought to his father.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:59 am

Hmm yeah I can see your point. I guess I'm trying too hard to make it fit somewhere in the album

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Post by In Chick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:38 am

In Chick wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>Yes, but, the storyteller urges Steven to go to sleep, experience this nightmare and thus decend into the depths of his mental state.

But who is having "this nightmare" to begin with?
Do you know, Andy ?
Nevermind.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:31 pm

I've decided to place "Under The Bed" after "The Nightmare Returns" and "A Bad Situation" after "Something To Remember Me By".

I find that they minimally interrupt the established flow of the album that way and fit in pretty well at least to my preferences.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

MacGyver
Trash
Trash

Post by MacGyver » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:02 pm

"A Bad Situation" could only fit BEFORE the nightmare/"death" begins, as it's talking about Steven's life and the stress he's under.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 pm

>Nevermind.

You don't want me to answer?

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 pm

I just left the main 14 as is. 15 Under The Bed, 16 A Bad Situation 17 Flatline 18 We Gotta Get Outta This Place.

2nd disc
1. I'll Bite Your Face Off (single Edit)
2. No More Mr. Nice Guy Live
3.The Black Widow
4.I'll Bite Your Face Off Live
5. Dialogue- How They Came to Be

I may make a booklet with a transcript of the dialogue, Lyrics

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 am

MacGyver wrote:"A Bad Situation" could only fit BEFORE the nightmare/"death" begins, as it's talking about Steven's life and the stress he's under.
I disagree. "When Hell Comes Home" doesn't necessarily fit the narrative where it is. And as has been pointed out, dreams are not always linear.

I also didn't like inserting any of the bonus tracks too close to the beginning, it's too drastic a change to the established flow of the album.

In addition, where I've placed the songs, they don't interrupt any of the strong transitions that already exist on the album but rather are situated at what I view as break points in the story anyhow.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it. :evil:

MacGyver
Trash
Trash

Post by MacGyver » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:11 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
MacGyver wrote:"A Bad Situation" could only fit BEFORE the nightmare/"death" begins, as it's talking about Steven's life and the stress he's under.
I disagree. "When Hell Comes Home" doesn't necessarily fit the narrative where it is. And as has been pointed out, dreams are not always linear.

I also didn't like inserting any of the bonus tracks too close to the beginning, it's too drastic a change to the established flow of the album.

In addition, where I've placed the songs, they don't interrupt any of the strong transitions that already exist on the album but rather are situated at what I view as break points in the story anyhow.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it. :evil:
:grin:
Fair enough!
Though I will say that "When Hell Comes Home" fits into the narrative as I believe it to be a flashback into why Steven is in Hell in the first place... Maybe?

And you're right about dreams not necessarily being linear... BUT the storyline is very linear on this album, so you kind of have to stay in the confines of that. Which is why I think "A Bad Situation" fits in before he dies/sleeps.

Of course, it may not fit well musically to add in the tracks like that, which is why they didn't get placed into the album in the first place. :)

LordOfAmourFantastiq
Killer
Killer

Post by LordOfAmourFantastiq » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:29 am

I also find that on this album, the storyline is more obvious than on other concept albums Alice made (already on ACAS the storyline was very linear).
MacGyver wrote:BUT the storyline is very linear on this album, so you kind of have to stay in the confines of that.
Not necessary. Why adding a rule when it can be free?
I think that it is why the nightmare "concept" is convenient: it is a concept that can be deformable as you want ; or in reverse, it can set a one theme concept where songs can seem scattered.

At first listen, before reading Alice in the Classic Rock mag, the only song that didn't fit well in the tracklist for me was "Something to remember me by". I thought : Oh no, pure love song, it doesn't have its place here. But then I thought it was OK with "What baby wants" after: a pure love moment and then the revelation that this woman is the devil in disguise, that is nightmarish.
But it doesn't work for me with Alice's explanation (just imagine that Alice sings this song with body parts in the hands): I prefer a more "innocent" love as the one of Steven for Mercy in The Last Temptation comics.

Another feeling is that for me, the nightmare is a bit too short: like all good stories, it ends too soon!

But I wouldn't want to include any bonus tracks (for now I have "Under the bed" and "We gotta get out of this place") in the original tracklist.
Even if I like "Under the bed", I think it is under the quality of the other songs: too classic, too simple and the original W2MN doesn't need it to "work".
And I can't find any place for "We gotta get out of this place" (I don't like it much but I only listened to it once at this moment).

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 am

I dont like to mess around with the album so i have left it as it is. Then after the underture i have under the bed, a bad situation, we gotta get out of this place, then i have put the live tracks on in the order they would be played in concert. Wehn i get flatline ripped from the vinyl i think i will put it at the very end.
Boomshanka

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 am

Not that I'm going to tinker with it at all but I personally felt "The Nightmare Returns" should have been the opening track with a longer instumental flashback a la an overture

emw1970
Trash
Trash

The Proper Song Order With Bonus Tracks

Post by emw1970 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Hey everyone, I've rearranged the songs in my iPod reflecting where I believe the bonus tracks fit into the nightmare. Some of my decision is based on information Alice gave in the 'Dialogue' track. Here's my list:

I Am Made Of You
The Nightmare Returns
Bad Situation
Under The Bed
Caffeine
Runaway Train
The Last Man On Earth
The Congregation
I'll Bite Your Face Off
Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
Ghouls Gone Wild
Something To Remember Me By
When Hell Comes Home
What Baby Wants
I Gotta Get Outta Here
Flatline
The Undeture

Anyone agree or disagree?

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Re: The Proper Song Order With Bonus Tracks

Post by juancoop » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:01 pm

I disagree.
I think We gotta get out of this place doesnt belong to the concept.
The nightmre returns would go after caffeine and right before Under the bed.

My two cents.

emw1970
Trash
Trash

Re: The Proper Song Order With Bonus Tracks

Post by emw1970 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:48 pm

juancoop wrote:I disagree.
I think We gotta get out of this place doesnt belong to the concept.
The nightmre returns would go after caffeine and right before Under the bed.

My two cents.
I agree with you about 'The Nightmare Returns'. I actually mis-typed that. As far as 'We Gotta Get Out Of This Place', he's singing it to a girl, so I thought it would fit as him singing it to his girl who he likes, before she falls apart at the beach. Just trying to make it all fit :alice:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:18 am

I agree, I think a cover of a well known song has no place in this concept album.

It was just something they did for fun. It should be viewed in the same way as the live songs that are included. Nobody would try to insert them into the album either.

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 am

exactly.... it's a cover. Well explained, RemarkablyInsincere

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:36 am

After much tinkering I think I have the perfect W2MN tracklisting. I put Under the Bed after I Am Made of You. It eases into that song nicely. And I put A Bad Situation after the Congregation.
Their both in the same kind of rock vein and they go well together. Might consider putting it before the Congregation but I like having the Congregation follow Last Man on Earth. It just sounds right.

I took We gotta get out of this place out too. Would have beeen nice if it could fit but it sounds too live and doesn't fit the concept at all which has beeen said by many on here. Also considering it is a cover song.

This makes for a perfect hour of rocking out to W2MN :rock: :alice: