My Review of W2MN

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: My Review of W2MN

Post by steven15322 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:51 am

killer_juju wrote:Would love to, besides When Hell Comes Home, Last Man On Earh, and Runaway Train, this album sucks and blows in a variety of ways.

The only album I will listen to this over in his whole catalog is Constrictor. Constrictor's lameness is more understandable though since Alice was dealing with his new found sobriety and shifting towards a more mainstream 80s approach.

We get your point lol..You don't like it..but maybe just maybe you should explain it a couple dozen more times...or maybe a thousand more times will do :rotfl:
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:58 am

Disco and Ghouls kinda flows together. Haven't heard any of the bonus track yet. So looking foward to those. As well as get it in CD and Record Quality

2 days to go. Before I get the physical album.

phiit
Trash
Trash

Post by phiit » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 am

Spinned the album first time today and from first listen I just loved it! I didn't listen to the album nor read any reviews early, I wanted to get a fresh view and got it. It's excellent! And really it is the perfect sequel to WTMN! Just gonna listen to it more now :alice:

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 am

1. I Am Made Of You. Fitting that the album would start with this song. As for the autotune in this.. Works great on this song, Which I believe is Alice talking to God and could be not far from his own life. I love it. His best vocal ever.
I agree, this is about being 'saved', but additionally, I feel that he is particularly referring to the alcohol problem. I suppose we all have our own interpretations to a degree, but for me, this is clear. It all sets the stage for the story about the 'second part' of his career (the alcohol-free one), which for me is very much interwoven into the theme of this album. The next track, 'Caffeine' also suggests trying to substitute alcohol with something else (I think he did have a caffeine addiction too in actual fact) and if he gives in, the nightmare will begin again. Of course, this can be interpreted a different way (and I think it is meant to be). The next track, 'Nightmare Returns' indicates the start of the alcohol-free Alice (with that tour of course), as well having other meanings with it of course.

I may be reading too much into it, but I don't think so. He is very clever.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:55 am

re caffeine..or it could refer to any stimulant such as speed.."a little speed is all I need"..reckon Alice just leaves it all open for us to interpret-relates to more people/sells more

If Alice was referring tightly(I doubt he is) to just his own experience he would have written a song about Golf which probably was his positive replacement for alcohol(I hear you say Alice hates Golf..he hates disco too but writes about it..ha)

He is very clever but I wouldnt take him too literally(hes playing with our minds and its fun)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:56 am

Gunner wrote:
I may be reading too much into it, but I don't think so. He is very clever.
Well i think Alice wants his audience to interpret his lyrics in different ways so your interpretations are as good as any.

For me 'I Am Made Of You' feels very much like a religious 're-awakening' or 'birth'. The lyrics borrow directly from Genesis which makes me think it's either about the birth of his own faith, or that of Steven.... or possibly Alice the character.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 am

"he next track, 'Caffeine' also suggests trying to substitute alcohol with something else (I think he did have a caffeine addiction too in actual fact) and if he gives in, the nightmare will begin again. Of course, this can be interpreted a different way (and I think it is meant to be)"

as far as i'm concerned, it's about a "nightmare on elm street" kinda thing - he's so afraid of the nightmare that he's doing everything he can to prevent falling asleep because he knows he'll have it again and might die.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 am

Alice Talks about how he knew a few that were just so wired you had to tell them to Just stop enough. I think we all know some one like that who is just. Wired all the time.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:21 am

>The next track, 'Caffeine' also suggests trying to substitute alcohol with something else

No.

>(I think he did have a caffeine addiction too in actual fact)

No.

>Of course, this can be interpreted a different way

Yes.

>(and I think it is meant to be).

Not always, but that’s fine if you want to thik that.

>The next track, 'Nightmare Returns' indicates the start of the alcohol-free Alice (with that tour of course),

That is quite a stretch, I think.

>I may be reading too much into it

Yes.

>He is very clever.

Yes.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm

>The next track, 'Caffeine' also suggests trying to substitute alcohol with something else

No.
Why do you say 'No'?

No.
Why do you say 'No'? 'No', I can't think that, or 'No' as in 'you are Alice'?

Cooper said he drank Diet Coke like he used to drink Beer, so....

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Really good review! Close to my thoughts.

For some reason on "A Runaway Train" the way Alice sings it(not the music) I hear a combination of shades of "Dance Yourself to Death" & shades of The Stones "Live with me"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Why do you say 'No'?
He needs the substance in question to stay awake, not to replace something else. I appreciate that you are suggesting that the nightmare is a metaphor for alcoholism, but I don’t see that connection.

No.

>Why do you say 'No'?

Because he never had “a caffeine addiction”. He certainly does like coffee, though.

>Cooper said he drank Diet Coke

That doesn't mean he had "a caffeine addiction". In fact he drinks both types of that particular beverage - the one with caffeine and the one without it (leaving aside the fact the has a new favourite beverage that also doesn't have caffeine in it).

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:45 pm

> (leaving aside the fact the has a new favourite beverage that also doesn't have caffeine in it).

and the question is...... which one?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 pm

>and the question is...... which one?

If I told you, everyone will want one and then he'll never be able to find it anywhere and that might make him so frustrated he might decide to retire from touring and none of us want that.

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:09 pm

ha ha... of course I'd never want that to happen. You're right.... Let Alice keep going with his beverage touring and recording then...

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Post by In Chick » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:45 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>and the question is...... which one?

If I told you, everyone will want one and then he'll never be able to find it anywhere and that might make him so frustrated he might decide to retire from touring and none of us want that.
He said on the radio that he was drinking Vitamin Zero water. So... that he's drinking water, Coke, coffee, tea, milk or coconut milk, what the Hell.... This conversation is totally ridiculous. As long as he doesn't drink alcohol, because he has a problem with it, he can drink whatever he wants.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:46 pm

I wouldn't worry about that, not many people like Irn Bru anyway.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:55 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:

I wouldn't worry about that, not many people like Irn Bru anyway.
Speak for yourself. Alice Cooper and Irn Bru happen to be my 2 most favourite things in life. There is nothing better in life than blasting out a bit of Coop while sipping at an ice cold can of the BRU!!
Boomshanka

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:58 am

Finally got my copy with the bonus track of "Under The Bed". So here is my review of that track.

Something tells me Alice has been revisiting some older albums.. And there is nothing wrong with that.. What I hear in this song, and can I be the only one, is "Below Your Means". This track is through and through ALICE! What a cool video this would make.. Lyrical it's scary and dark.
All I can picture is cat torn to pieces under my bed; that's been laying there for.. Who knows how long. Once you get this song in your mind.. It get's stuck there. Bound to be a Coop classic.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:46 am

>ha ha... of course I'd never want that to happen. You're right....

It was a joke.