Early hype...good or bad?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Early hype...good or bad?

Post by andyrew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:14 pm

As you all know, W2MN has been hyped up since February (Or at least I think it has since thats when I first heard that it was coming out). With 2 weeks to go, do you think early hype is a good thing or a bad thing for an album? And specifically, is it good for W2MN since it is a sequel?

In my opinion, I think it was hyped up a bit too early with Alice saying "it's just sitting there". Not that I dont love hearing the album is finished and going to be hitting shelves, but things can change so much in that time span and come as too much of a shock for people. For instance, in the beginning he said it would be due out in early 2012 and now it has changed to September of 2011. And the fanpack was going to be released 1 month earlier than the street date in North America, when I already had the notion it wouldn't when I ordered months in advance.

Both of those can either be positive or negative depending on your perspective. For the release date it could create even more hype when it was originally supposed to be released in 2012 and then it is moved up so soon.(People become more enthusiastic) and the fan pack prolonged release date can be a good thing if your in North America, so you dont have to wait til October to get the in-store album.

I personally would have prefered hearing that W2MN was coming out in May, so I would have more of a specific time frame to learn about the details, rather than checking constantly between February and September. People would have more responses like...What!? I can't believe this album is happening?! But maybe those type of responses still happened since not everyone follows as directly as all of us.

I guess it just gets kind of fusturating when I have to wait so long to have it in my hands but thats just me haha

What do you guys think?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Early hype...good or bad?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 pm

It all depends on your definition of 'early'. Chinese Democracy by Guns N Roses had over 10 years of hype and that was a disaster!

I happen to think that the turnaround of this album has been remarkably quick, especially when you consider how busy Alice has been with other things this past year or so.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:31 pm

One mans hype is another mans promotion and its good to see Welcome 2 getting promotion/hype IMO..okay ther has been some back and forth over dates but this has been a mega year for AC and like it or not the marketing guys will I think have had some say in scheduling, packaging, promotion, bonus tracks a go go etc...great to have the hype ( I can remember a time when flush the fashion slipped out without me knowing)..not quite Welcome to your Hypemare
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I think the hype and the ballyhoo are needed.Seems like radio has not embraced the first single as much i had hoped for,at least not yet.Alice and Co. have a 3 week or so hiatus from the tour.In that "window"i imagine that will be some serious promotion with the release date set for 2 weeks today.Heres hoping his newest opus lands in the coveted Billboard Top 10.
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 pm

In this day and age you have to use every means possible to get your product known in the marketplace. In this Album Alice has answered every one of my hopes, Ezrin, ACG, et al and should use everybit of promotion/hype possible. When it was announced that the album wouldn't be released until 2012, which was just after the RRHOF, my heart sank at a missed opportunity of riding on the back of all the publicity so I was greatly relieved when they pushed the release date forward. As to the hype of it being W2MN, someone on another thread posted that when people heard that they made assumptions, as if that was a bad thing. Of course you make assumptions!! I assumed that there would be a link between the two albums, musically and thematically. and calling it W2MN immediatly raised my expectations. Having been a fan since dada and zipper immediatly slipped into obscurity I am thrilled at the hype this album has had. I thought that the publicity around ACAS was slick and professional and let down by such a weak album so hopefully this will live up to the hype.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm

shock rock wrote:Seems like radio has not embraced the first single as much i had hoped for,at least not yet.
What radio is there to embrace it? Radio isn't what it used to be. Most rock stations that still exist are Classic Rock stations that rarely, if ever, play anything new, even by the artists they play all the time.

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm

>Heres hoping his newest opus lands in the coveted Billboard Top 10.

The charts do not mean as much as they used to what they used to.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Heres hoping his newest opus lands in the coveted Billboard Top 10.

The charts do not mean as much as they used to what they used to.
Same can be said for a new Alice Cooper album.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:52 pm

>Same can be said for a new Alice Cooper album.

Even less reason in that case for shock rock to hope it gets there then.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:17 pm

andyrew wrote:For instance, in the beginning he said it would be due out in early 2012
Other than that article that said something like that and it turned out to be erroneous, halloween time was the long touted release time.

And the fanpack was going to be released 1 month earlier than the street date in North America, when I already had the notion it wouldn't when I ordered months in advance.
and the fan pack prolonged release date can be a good thing if your in North America, so you dont have to wait til October to get the in-store album.
The album is coming out in North America on Sept 13. Two weeks from today.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Speaking of charts, the album is #36 on AmazonUS right now.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:52 pm

>Other than that article that said something like that and it turned out to be erroneous, halloween time was the long touted release time.

That is correct. For some reason, some people still believe everything they read without realising that even if it's true, things can change.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 pm

shock rock wrote:Seems like radio has not embraced the first single as much i had hoped for,at least not yet.
I haven't heard a single from any of Alice's albums played on the radio in my town since 1994.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

i am buckethead
Trash
Trash

Post by i am buckethead » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:24 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:It all depends on your definition of 'early'. Chinese Democracy by Guns N Roses had over 10 years of hype and that was a disaster!

I happen to think that the turnaround of this album has been remarkably quick, especially when you consider how busy Alice has been with other things this past year or so.

while chinese democracy was disappointing, it still sold pretty well considering album sales are/have been in decline. 5 million worldwide isn't bad.

i'm really happy there's a buzz about this album, i think the last time alice had 'this kind of hype' especially in the uk, was around trash.

erm....i must be the only one on here that hasn't heard the album.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:33 am

i am buckethead wrote:erm....i must be the only one on here that hasn't heard the album.
Nope, I haven't listened to a peep from W2MN either. Not even watched those blasted youtube vids of IBYFO.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 am

wow, now that's strenght.
Im so weak!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:04 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
i am buckethead wrote:erm....i must be the only one on here that hasn't heard the album.
Nope, I haven't listened to a peep from W2MN either. Not even watched those blasted youtube vids of IBYFO.
:clap:

That is totally the way to do it!
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:24 am

I got a text from a good friend of mine yesterday saying that he has bought Alice's 2009 cooper live cd/dvd (sic) and pre-ordered the new Album. We have been to every Alice concert North of the Border together since Special Forces, but he fell out of love with Alice's music after Trash (which he loved) and hasn't even listened to a new album since Hey stoopid. The point being that even an old cynical fart like him has been caught up by the hype and returned to the fold like the prodigal son. So if this is relicated across the globe it is all good. :clap:

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 am

Shoesalesman wrote: Nope, I haven't listened to a peep from W2MN either. Not even watched those blasted youtube vids of IBYFO.
I do envy you, but i just don't have the patience! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it comes out!

I think the last time i actually waited until the release date to listen to an Alice album was when 'Fistful Of Alice' came out.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:49 am

I have also been quite strong. I have only heard the single(a-side and b-side) and I am quite sure I will not listen to anything else on the album until the fan pack arrives. But wow Shoesalesman I really admire you! Luckily I have so much to do currently that it is easier to resist the tempatation.