Publishing rights re AC Group albums pre MOL

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Publishing rights re AC Group albums pre MOL

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:14 pm

I would like to get a better understanding of what happened and the effect of Shep apparently losing the publishing rights of the albums pre MOL to Herb Cohen..facts only please..although I have business experience it doesnt extend to publishing etc..I know the battle restricted the publication of music books..but what about royalties when Schools out is played on a tv ad-I believe Herb Cohen died in 2010-who now owns the publsihing pre MOL..anything which increases my knowledge would be helpful
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Re: Publishing rights re AC Group albums pre MOL

Post by tommystooge » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:00 am

Andy owns it all
Remember The Coop !!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:42 am

Jesting aside Tommy, can you add anything to my limited understanding on this one-I think you referred to the publishing issue under another heading-so you might have something useful to add-theres been about 90 views of this and its early days so still hope of useful info-mind you I might not be the only one who cannot get to grips with this one..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 am

>who now owns the publsihing pre MOL..anything which increases my knowledge would be helpful

I think you already answered this yourself at another thread. Maybe it was at this thread in which case, that post seems to have disappeared.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 am

>Andy owns it all

Not yet but it could happen.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:05 pm

What I'm still looking for is an explanation of what actually happened-think I read somewhere that Herb Cohen maintained that he had only sold/passed the management of the group to Shep Gordon and not the publishing..I'm trying to get a grasp on the scale of this loss whether, so n in dollars or percentages..I started this post to hone in on this question.. I think I've found that BMG US own the publishing..as you Andy have pointed out elsewhere even the Beatles didnt own all their publishing, so not unusual...any simple expansion welcomed from anyone/anytime..thanks

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:49 pm

>I read somewhere that Herb Cohen maintained that he had only sold/passed the management of the group to Shep Gordon and not the publishing

No. Other than Shep and Joe Greenberg, the only other manager was Dick Christian who was an old friend.

>I'm trying to get a grasp on the scale of this loss whether, so n in dollars or percentages..

I genuinely don't know what you mean. Maybe someone else can help.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks anyway..in time hopefully someone will be able to give more detail on what happened..the financial loss to whom etc..over year I have read one or two comments from band members and it has struck me that perhaps they may not understand fully what happened- I will also search elsewhere for as much info as poss-whilst welcoming facts from others..ta

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:33 pm

>Thanks anyway..in time hopefully someone will be able to give more detail on what happened..the financial loss to whom etc..

I don't know which "loss" you are referring to. I would be happy to give you a brief tutorial in private, but I might need questions that are a bit more specific.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:24 am

recoop wrote:I would like to get a better understanding of what happened and the effect of Shep apparently losing the publishing rights of the albums pre MOL to Herb Cohen..facts only please..although I have business experience it doesnt extend to publishing etc..I know the battle restricted the publication of music books..but what about royalties when Schools out is played on a tv ad-I believe Herb Cohen died in 2010-who now owns the publsihing pre MOL..anything which increases my knowledge would be helpful
As a PRS member I have access to their database and I can tell you that the publishing for performance royalties for School's Out (for example) is split 50% Carlin Music Corp, 25% Alice Cooper and 25% Michael Bruce with the Mechanicals (record sales) 100% Carlin Music Corp.

Obviously other songs on that and other albums will vary according to who wrote what and who published it.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:50 am

Thank you Steven for this and Andy who has generously provided me with instruction as to how publishing works generally.