W2MN - My Review - BIG SPOILER ALERT

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: W2MN - My Review - BIG SPOILER ALERT

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Having heard the album a number of times now, i'm actually really impressed with the lyrics and concept (in my review here i said the concept got a little lost on occasion). A close listen to all the songs (in order) reveals a really great story with much of it being open to interpretation, like many of his other great albums.

On reflection, i think that was what i disliked the most about ACAS. The 'story' was just a little too formulaic, with the lyrics being a little too obvious for my liking.

I'm curious to hear what everyones interpretation is of 'I Am Made Of You'. I'm not sure whether it's relating to Alice's relationship with God (Genesis, 'in the beginning' etc) or whether it's describing the beginning of the 'nightmare' or even possibly the beginning of Alice or Steven.

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:50 pm

"I was expecting W2MN to be diverse, well produced and slick. My expectations were exceeded on all counts."

Absolutely! And from the samples I have heard, I agree we got it.

I don't think there is an Alice Cooper fan alive that is not happy about Bob being back in the fold. (and if there is I'd would love to hear why, just out of curiosity)

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Darren wrote: I don't think there is an Alice Cooper fan alive that is not happy about Bob being back in the fold. (and if there is I'd would love to hear why, just out of curiosity)
Don't be so sure, we have some people who post on this forum with some views that i find quite ridiculous!

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:54 pm

I have listend to the album several times now and it really has exceded all my expectations. It just gets better with every listen. There is something on there for everyone if you like the dark/heavy Alice hes there on a couple of tracks. When hell comes home contains some of the darkest lyrics Alice has ever wrote. But this album is so much more, it covers i feel all aspects of the Alice character and even manages to experiment and add something new. Im starting to know the songs pretty well now and what most of them are about. The exception would be i am made of you. A great track i love it but i dont have a clue what its about. I also thought maybe something about the origin of Steven but i really dont know. Maybe Alice will tell us some more on the radio show when he talks about the album.
Boomshanka

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:01 pm

"Don't be so sure, we have some people who post on this forum with some views that i find quite ridiculous!"

Believe me, I agree.

For the record, I don't have a problem with someone disagreeing with my statement. But if they do, I would like to see what their reasons would be, that's all.

Awakening
Killer
Killer

Post by Awakening » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 pm

James1981 wrote:I have listend to the album several times now and it really has exceded all my expectations. It just gets better with every listen. There is something on there for everyone if you like the dark/heavy Alice hes there on a couple of tracks. When hell comes home contains some of the darkest lyrics Alice has ever wrote. But this album is so much more, it covers i feel all aspects of the Alice character and even manages to experiment and add something new. Im starting to know the songs pretty well now and what most of them are about. The exception would be i am made of you. A great track i love it but i dont have a clue what its about. I also thought maybe something about the origin of Steven but i really dont know. Maybe Alice will tell us some more on the radio show when he talks about the album.
There will be a "Track-by-track" in the Classic Rock magazine, you may have an answer about that ;)

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Darren wrote:
For the record, I don't have a problem with someone disagreeing with my statement. But if they do, I would like to see what their reasons would be, that's all.
Absolutely. It'd be a very boring place if all everyone did was agree on everything! I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the album once you have heard it in full and given it time to digest.

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:24 am

I have listened to the longer clips a few times now and must admit there seems to be some good songs on there. My biggest problem is that I wish it seemed to be more of a sequel to the original. This feels so far like just another album....not really a sequel.

Lyrically, musically, and production-wise... the clips seem to be superior to ACAS. Looking forward to the full songs.
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:30 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote:I have listened to the longer clips a few times now and must admit there seems to be some good songs on there. My biggest problem is that I wish it seemed to be more of a sequel to the original. This feels so far like just another album....not really a sequel.

Lyrically, musically, and production-wise... the clips seem to be superior to ACAS. Looking forward to the full songs.
When you hear the full songs i'm pretty confident you'll feel more of the 'nightmare' qualities about it, there are lots of nice WTMN references dotted all through the album.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 am

Agreed this totally feels like a sequel to me but an up to date modern sounding one. Plenty on display here to tie this in with the original nightmare. I remember when ACAS came out I thought it was great at first but after a few listens most of the tracks started losing their appeal. I have been listening to Nightmare 2 on repeat for 2 days solid now and it just keeps getting better and better. There is not one bad song on this album.
Boomshanka

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:49 am

>sequel

The problem is, some people see or hear that word and start making assumptions.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>sequel

That's true. Some people want to hear something exactly like the original, but what's the point in that? Just go listen to the original.
Boomshanka

HeyAlice
Trash
Trash

Post by HeyAlice » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm

James1981 wrote:

That's true. Some people want to hear something exactly like the original, but what's the point in that? Just go listen to the original.
plus Alice couldn't replicate the original WTMN album even if he wanted to so much has changed since then
http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

✌ Click my listings for the best in Horror! ✌

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 pm

HeyAlice wrote:
James1981 wrote:

plus Alice couldn't replicate the original WTMN album even if he wanted to so much has changed since then
Although in my opinion this new one can proudly stand shoulder to shoulder with part one.
Boomshanka

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 am

Listening to the radio show now.....I am hearing more Nightmare :clap:

Has anyone noticed that Runaway Train sounds a bit like Dance Yourself To Death?

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:26 am

Man....this album is sounding pretty solid....I'm getting more stoked with every listen.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:44 am

Really liking Last Man on Earth.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:23 am

very catchy tune! reminds me of "some folks",spirit wise.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote:Has anyone noticed that Runaway Train sounds a bit like Dance Yourself To Death?
I don't hear this at all.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Cozzie
Killer
Killer

Post by Cozzie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:24 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote:Listening to the radio show now.....I am hearing more Nightmare :clap:

Has anyone noticed that Runaway Train sounds a bit like Dance Yourself To Death?
That was my first thought as well. Both have a distinct Stones-like melody.