Nights with Alice Cooper

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Cozzie
Killer
Killer

Re: Nights with Alice Cooper

Post by Cozzie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Now I've had a bit of time to digest what I've heard and had a few listens to each (I was shuffling between Australian radio stations that aired the show from 6, 7 and 8 respectively so that I could hear the songs a few times.)

I'm a big fan of Caffeine, it's probably the quirkiest Alice has been since Zipper. It's the Alice you know but at the same time it's really distinct.

I stand by my comment that Runaway Train is very Stones-esque. Musically, it kind of reminds me of Steal That Car from Dirty Diamonds. As I said before, vocally it's reminiscent of Dance Yourself to Death but I'm also getting a real Dylan vibe with Alice's phrasing. It has no distinct chorus, which is bizarre.

I'll Bite Your Face Off doesn't really do it for me but I'll give it some time to grow on me...

grimjim
Trash
Trash

Post by grimjim » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Cozzie wrote:
grimjim wrote:Hmm did you mean the last show? August 18th ? He opened that show with a Rolling Stones number.. not I´ll bite your face off?!
I´m listening to the show right now.
The show airs hours in advance in Australia. I'm talking about the show that you will hear this evening.
Ah ok! Thanks :clap:

Pennypacker
Trash
Trash

Post by Pennypacker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Is the show still on air in Australia?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Caffine lyrics up in lyrics section

Cozzie
Killer
Killer

Post by Cozzie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Pennypacker wrote:Is the show still on air in Australia?
No but this page will give you a good idea of the next time you can hear it - http://zipcode.nightswithalicecooper.com/affiliates.asp

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Question.. the 3 songs that Alice played are they played in the first hour of the show or are they mixed in through the whole 4 hrs?
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:46 pm

the Power Loon shall be streaming. I'm out of range of all the stations in MN. but saint clouds the loon has it. shall be grand

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Of course it'll all be a difference of opinion as to if a song is poor average great song . And a few tunes do not maketh an album ,so take my reviw with a grain of salt .

Caffeine
( A tune that revoles around staying awake so the character won't fall asleep and enter the nightmare )

The idea is interesting , but sadly the execution or excellence is missing in action . Its not a bad tune , its just another beat driven rocker . This tune fails to make an impact on the heart and mind of this listener .

Runaway Train
( Is part of the nightmare , the character is chained on a runaway train that is steaming headlong into doom )

The intensely played flurry of notes during the guitar solo sections create a sense of progress . There is a surprising lack or variation of melody in the vocals . But the coop explains that the tune has no chorus , its all verse .

For your consideration another curious collection of thoughts .

I expected the production to be based around the classic rock tones of the 70's . The production is very slick , but to my ear lacks the famous tube amp tones that spawned the guitar legends of the 70's. Maybe i was reading to much into alices comments re "I wanted a `70s feel for `When Hell Comes Home" . I was expecting that would be the overall production theme .

I'm hopeing the rest of the nightmare takes a very different destination to what i have had a peek at . i'm still holding out that the coop can deliver an unorthodox artistic rock and roll extravaganza .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:06 pm

I don't have monumental hopes for the album (after my disappointment in ACAS), but I'll admit I didn't love Zipper or Flush the first time out. However, those albums grew on me like crazy! Caffeine sounds like bizarre frantic fun that'd be right at home with songs like Clones, Asprin Damage, and Nuclear Infected.

I don't love the on-the-nose non-subtle nature of the chorus in I'll Bite Your Face off. I love everything else about the song. It sounds like a Stones riff on the Trash album.

I'll probably check out the webcast later to hear the complete songs.

Cozzie
Killer
Killer

Post by Cozzie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:14 pm

steven15322 wrote:Question.. the 3 songs that Alice played are they played in the first hour of the show or are they mixed in through the whole 4 hrs?
It may be different depending on which station you're listening to but to give you a rough idea:

I'll Bite Your Face Off opens the show.

Caffeine is about one hour and 45 minutes in.

A Runaway Train is about half an hour after that.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:19 pm

It DOES depend on the station. The show is in hour long "bites" and some stations start at a different hour mark then others. The Australian feed was all over the place with bits of Alice inserted into a completely different song list order.
According to the tracklist for the full five hour show 'Gotta Get Out Of Here' is also played, and 'I'll Bite Your Face Off' is actually in there twice!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Si, do you recommend Planet Rock? It's only 11:30 AM here, so that means I only have to wait until 4:00 PM to hear it!

Normally I'd like to wait until the release date, but I recently broke my feet, so I don't have a lot to look forward to.
:clap:

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Planet Rock has a good feed but it doesn`t play all five hours.
Also I have heard a rumour Planet Rock are NOT playing the NWAC special. No idea where that info came from though

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:42 pm

That's a shame. I'll check anyway, just in case. Unfortunately, my local station only picks up the Saturday show.

Awakening
Killer
Killer

Post by Awakening » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Finger crossed, I wish we will have the songs from Planet Rock...

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:48 pm

There are lots of US feeds to listen to if you want to stay up that late ;)

Awakening
Killer
Killer

Post by Awakening » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Si wrote:There are lots of US feeds to listen to if you want to stay up that late ;)
To be fair, I'm a little lost with all these stations and the way i can connect to them :smack:

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:53 pm

You go to a station site and click on "listen now" or similar button, usually in the top right of the front page.
Most will open another small window and start playing the station after a few seconds. If it doesn`t work, try another station.

Sarah
Killer
Killer

Post by Sarah » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Someone asked the question on Planet Rock's Facebook page, and they said they would be playing an Alice special on 10th September instead, but also that they should be playing 'I'll Bite Your Face Off' at some stage in the next couple of weeks.

US station it is... looks it'll be a long night!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Sarah wrote:US station it is... looks it'll be a long night!
I'm an insomniac since breaking my feet, so I can cope. BTW, check the station websites for Alice's schedule. The NWAC page had one station as M-Sat, but according to the station he's ONLY on saturdays. If you find a legit one, let us know! And I will do the same.