I converted a friend...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Loomis
Killer
Killer

I converted a friend...

Post by Loomis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Well Alice did but I got a friend who is black and wouldn't go with me before to go the show last night.I went to show in Grand Rapids last night. It was my third show, but my friend's first. He would listen to rave about the stage show and how nothing else compared to it. I do think he was skeptical.

But after the show, he admitted it may have been the best rock concert he has ever seen. I am sure you can all imagine how happy yet frustrated I was. Happy because he really enjoyed it but frustrated that all of my verbal promotion for years, it took this. On the way home, he confessed that he is now a fan and was curious if there were any concert DVDs. I told him that I had four and one on Blu-ray. He now wants to borrow them.

Before the show we were talking and he even knew about "Keeping Halloween Alive" Which surprised me because I never mentioned it to him. You know, after awhile, you just kinda stop mentioning Alice related news if someone does not seem interested.

Consider another member of the choir in the church of Alice Cooper. And no I don't mean that in a religious context. just that he is now a believer.

I knew you all would get a kick out of this story. Of course I was smiling the whole ride home.
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: I converted a friend...

Post by Billie1966 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:12 am

xjumpingx

Danny :alice:
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:54 am

>Well Alice did but I got a friend who is black

I don't quite see the relevance of that.

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:21 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Well Alice did but I got a friend who is black

Because at one time, there was a thread here questioning why most or all of the fans are white. I can't seem to find it now as it may have been deleted or i am not using the right key word. It was some time ago though.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:13 pm

I've converted an old cottage into an art-deco home ,
I've converted a Rugby ball between the posts ,
I've converted currency at the airport ,

But I don't think even I could convert a friend ( of any colour) into liking Alice !!!!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:31 pm

I worked with a guy who was country through and through (he was white if that is relevant) but got him into the goes to hell album, then slowly introduced him to more and more and now he is a fanatic. Can't convert my brother for love or money tho....

Robert Gerard Hunt

Post by Robert Gerard Hunt » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Loomis wrote:

Because at one time, there was a thread here questioning why most or all of the fans are white. I can't seem to find it now as it may have been deleted or i am not using the right key word. It was some time ago though.
Loomis, I wrote that post under the name "Maurice Escargot", a handle I dropped when I noticed a long-established "Maurice" on the board (though now I see we have a new ME among our ranks). However, I can't find it even after searching using keywords I know I used in the original post.

I stand by my original observation that there is little racial diversity among AC concert crowds, and I simply wondered why. As I recall, Andy gave me a tart response then, something along the lines of "Why don't you go find one and ask them?" But it was a sincere post, nothing else.

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Robert Gerard Hunt wrote:
Loomis wrote:

Loomis, I wrote that post under the name "Maurice Escargot", a handle I dropped when I noticed a long-established "Maurice" on the board (though now I see we have a new ME among our ranks). However, I can't find it even after searching using keywords I know I used in the original post.

I stand by my original observation that there is little racial diversity among AC concert crowds, and I simply wondered why. As I recall, Andy gave me a tart response then, something along the lines of "Why don't you go find one and ask them?" But it was a sincere post, nothing else.
Thank you for the confirmation. I can rest easier knowing that I am not losing my sanity faster than I thought.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Kudos for the conversion! I have tried,sometimes in vain to proselytize friends, co- workers ect into the whole Alice thing,be it partaking in concerts or buying his music. If W2MN has the same impact as the original,this site could be deluged with newbies
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:45 pm

This topic reminds me of the old Springsteen concert joke ;
" There are more black people in the band than in the audience "...........though not now, sadly !

Joking aside , it's always nice to convert anyone onto Alice .....Did the same recently with a old Jazz muso/type .....Made a C.D with Blue Turk , Crazy Little Child , Ballads ,etc .......He said it's his most successful car music with friends & family ........RESULT !!!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:04 pm

>something along the lines of "Why don't you go find one and ask them?" But it was a sincere post, nothing else.

I don't remember the exchange being exactly the way you describe, but it's a fair response I think. The audience is not especially racially diverse, but I don't think race has anything to do with it in the same way that the audience is mainly male as well. Gender and race I don't think has a lot to do with it. It's mainly down to the cultural environment and exposure and yes, I know that some races and cultures go together. If it was only down to race and culture, then no white people would like black music.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:06 pm

>I have tried,sometimes in vain to proselytize friends,

I'm not surprised that you've failed. After all, we all just love being preached to.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Edited and deleted numerous posts in this thread, mainly because it was getting way off topic and starting to be a bit personal. Responses that were tied to other "quoted" posts had to be edited/deleted as well out of fairness to all.

The essence of the original topic and related responses have been left in.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:12 pm

So we run from the problem rather than deal with it and try to understand it so that maybe it won't happen again?

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Loomis wrote:So we run from the problem rather than deal with it and try to understand it so that maybe it won't happen again?
Running from the problem would be leaving everything as it was and ignoring it. Dealing with it is doing exactly what I did this morning.

I understand there are some posts that come off as being a bit questionable to a particular person. If someone posts something someone else doesn't like, they don't have to respond to it... they can ignore it or report the post to a mod/admin. They can also use the PM button to continue with off topic stuff. No one is saying not to discuss personal stuff, just use other means than the public forum to do this, that's all.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 am

The audience is not especially racially diverse, but I don't think race has anything to do with it in the same way that the audience is mainly male as well. Gender and race I don't think has a lot to do with it. It's mainly down to the cultural environment and exposure and yes, I know that some races and cultures go together. If it was only down to race and culture, then no white people would like black music.
It is about cultural environment; black people have their cultural roots in a different place and that is why you don't see many (if ANY) at rock concerts and classical music concerts. They much prefer dance, soul, blues reggie etc.

Men are genarally more aggressive than ladies and that is why more men go to hard rock/metal gigs. It isn't a coincidence that Alice's audience is predominantly white and male - there are NATURAL explanations for this - don't let PC cloud your reasoning. It IS about race and gender in a pop music audience indirectly - in some ways.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Responding to the post, and not to the big confusion that turned up here.

I converted some friends along the years, so much I talk about Alice, listen to his music, play some of them on guitar and buy stuff.

A friend of mine didn't even hear about Alice before I met him. Two years later he was flying with my to catch both the shows he made in Brazil in 2007. He doesn't even live in São Paulo (where I live and where one of the concerts happened), but saw them both. This year, again, he made his way to the best show ever!
I have a female friend who didn't like Alice that much, but I made him grow on her.
I have another male friend who didn't like Alive very much, but after I showed him more musics, he started to like and on the last show they all went with me to the concert.
I even converted my parents and my younger brother. There are a few more friends who I introduced to the Alice world.
The only person I, still, couldn't convert, was my girlfriend. She enjoyed the show, she likes some of the music, but I can't get more than that.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Talking of converting people I have a few female friends who were not interested in Alice Cooper until Chuck joined the band, now they are totally in love!!!
Boomshanka

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:45 pm

> - there are NATURAL explanations for this

That's not much different to what was in my post but there is another factor as well, if you care to take a look.

> - don't let PC cloud your reasoning

Do you really that think I can be accused of that?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:46 pm

> but after I showed him more musics, he started to like and on the last show they all went with me to the concert.

Exactly. It's not just about culture but about exposure as well.