Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by ThePainAddict » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:15 am

Parish wrote:
"I would love to hear one more full fledged fully democratic record from these guys."

I am with you in craving a release from all of the originals together, but do you really think every release was truly democratic production process? If so, this would be one of the only band releases (and I mean of any band) in history to be so. I can guarantee you Ezrin had more than a one sixth vote (if you even include him in your 'democracy') in what went on the group lps.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:41 am

>I am with you in craving a release from all of the originals together, but do you really think every release was truly democratic production process? If so, this would be one of the only band releases (and I mean of any band) in history to be so. I can guarantee you Ezrin had more than a one sixth vote (if you even include him in your 'democracy') in what went on the group lps.

I agree. There are some truly great points in this post which I'm annoyed I didn't make.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:57 am

ThePainAddict wrote:Parish wrote:
"I would love to hear one more full fledged fully democratic record from these guys."

I am with you in craving a release from all of the originals together, but do you really think every release was truly democratic production process? If so, this would be one of the only band releases (and I mean of any band) in history to be so. I can guarantee you Ezrin had more than a one sixth vote (if you even include him in your 'democracy') in what went on the group lps.
I suppose you're not familiar with Rush an how they work.

As for the ACG - equal parts isn't the point. Each member seemed to have a role and the parts worked together to give us a few great albums. How much each member contributed and who had a final say on what would be difficult to determine for even the participants but it would be impossible for an outsider.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:03 am

GailsFriend wrote:Since this thread is called "W2MN....Reviewed". We should keep it open for people who have not heard the album, or read the reviews yet.

I think we have put our "2 cents in" long enough...let others talk about their feelings on the album, or submit reviews online.

Here is a review....

http://www.starpulse.com/news/Brian_Cam ... ome_2_my_n

and another review....

http://www.iconvsicon.com/2011/09/18/mu ... nightmare/

and yet another review...

http://mehtakyakehta.com/2011/09/09/mus ... mare-2011/

So let's see here - when Alice albums get crap reviews, we shouldn't listen to whaat "they" say. But now with positive reviews "they" know what they are talking about?

Naw, I'll stick with believing my ears, thanks.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:19 am

>How much each member contributed and who had a final say on what would be difficult to determine for even the participants but it would be impossible for an outsider.

You are right to contradict what Parish wrote. However, in terms of the "final say", it's pretty generally accepted that Bob Ezrin had that as he was the producer and that's how a lot of producers work. This was discussed at some length in Michael's book, as well as the "Prime Cuts" and "Behind The Music" documentaries.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 am

While I love the ACG albums it does not automatically follow that because they made great albums in the early seventies they would do so now. Times change, dynamics change and one fifth of the band tragically is no longer with us. If they were to come together it is by no means a certainty that they could produce an album to match their glorious legacy. The reality is there could be many as equally disappointed with an ACG album as they appear to be with the new album (which incidentally I think is excellent).

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:51 am

>If they were to come together it is by no means a certainty that they could produce an album to match their glorious legacy.

Exactly. It's that assumption that something great will automatically arise which is very presumptious.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 am

Gotta admit though Robbie, the best tracks [and i love 9 tenths of the album] are the tracks with the originals on. They sound threatening without even trying. IMO

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Hey, its my review, I dont happen to like it. That doesnt mean that there isn't half the country that does. I mean half the country voted for McCain and Palin so obviously anythings possible...

click here

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Thats a fair point Jackknife Johnny but even if everyone shared your opinion that they have produced the best three tracks it cannot be presumed that they could agree a concept and work together to produce a cohesive and consistent full album of material.There is in my opinion a world of difference between guesting on this album as part of Alice and Bob Ezrin's vision and producing a full ACG album. Also given the (inevitable in my opinion) comparisons to the original WTM that have formed part of the responses to this album can you imagine the comparisons about any new album by the remaining original members? Considering the thread on here just about the cover of the new album that appeared on this board you can almost see already "the cover is not as good as BDB and SO" etc etc let alone any music they may produce.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I would love to see the original band team up with Ezrin at the helm. Maybe they could recapture that vibe from LITD or Killer. Now that would be interesting. It's my opinion too that the 3 songs the original band are on are the better songs.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:Gotta admit though Robbie, the best tracks [and i love 9 tenths of the album] are the tracks with the originals on. They sound threatening without even trying. IMO
Really? IBYFO, ART and WHCH, are good tracks, but I don't rate them any higher than at least a half dozen other tracks on the album.

And let me say this, I would not be opposed to seeing Alice record an entire album with the original guys. I think it would be quite cool and would love to see what they could make of it, I just don't think it's going to happen.

I think what we got here is probably the best we can expect now and maybe again in the future.

Now, I do hope they tour in some capacity at some point.... a mini-tour or what not.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Instead of glamorizing what could or should happen in a imagined set-up with the original ACG, let's get back to the present day, 2011....Here is another review:

http://hardrockhaven.net/online/2011/al ... nightmare/

and another review...

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/coopera ... mare.shtml

and more...

http://www.superloud.net/2011/09/alice- ... re-cd.html

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews ... t&id=11444

http://musictap.net/2011/09/12/review-a ... nightmare/

It's not 1974 anymore. Time to move on.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Also, if you want.....I have provided a poll...a 1-10 scale so you can rate the new album, Welcome 2 My Nightmare.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:03 pm

The bonus track on some versions " Under My Bed" is probably my fave, think this is another original ACG song.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:06 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:The bonus track on some versions " Under My Bed" is probably my fave, think this is another original ACG song.
No it's not. From the W2MN entry in the discography section of this site:

'Under The Bed'

Vocals: Alice Cooper
Everything Else: Tommy And Bob
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:22 pm

GailsFriend wrote:
Really? From someone who's defending an artist who just released a sequal to a 1975 album and who has toured consistently playing a setlist 50% made of songs from 1975 and earlier. That's rich.

Would you give the same advice to your hero?

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
GailsFriend wrote:
Really? From someone who's defending an artist who just released a sequal to a 1975 album and who has toured consistently playing a setlist 50% made of songs from 1975 and earlier. That's rich.

Would you give the same advice to your hero?

LMAO. Good one Toronto Bob.

Gailsfriend....look up the word sycophant or sycophancy

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 pm

>From someone who's defending an artist who just released a sequal to a 1975 album and who has toured consistently playing a setlist 50% made of songs from 1975 and earlier.

That's hardly fair nor the same thing. I'm not against the idea of any kind of reunion but I find it interesting that certain people here are just a tiny distance away from INSISTING that Alice calls for a reunion and I'm sure we can imagine how much he would just LOVE being FORCED to do something.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 pm

For the few songs they did here. Said it was just hard to get everybody together. As they all have things to do. Alice was flying back and forth to the studio for it.. Would be could to see a full Album with them . but I wouldn't expect a Tour.