Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mike Drew
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by Mike Drew » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:21 am

" mike,you should be added to the credits,imo!! cool story!"
Ha ha...like it....I don't want to give the impression it was submitted because of me..Obviously that is a ridiculous thought :grin: It fought its way out because it is truly a great song...imo.
Cheerzagain
md
"Its Only Rock N' Roll But Its Expensive"

www.michaeldrew.co.uk

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Spoilers below...

Just my $0.02.

At first listen, it certainly isn't as cringe-worthy as ACAS. I hear a lot of similarities in a lot of the songs. Caffeine totally reminds me of Aspirin Damage...which isn't a bad thing since I like that song.

The songs I really don't care for....and did kinda make me cringe...

-Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever
-Ghouls Gone Wild
-Last Man on Earth (to an extent)

I understand that Last Man on Earth was sort of supposed to parallel Some Folks. I don't think it is anywhere near as good as Some Folks. I would actually love to see him bust out Some Folks in the next tour.

The Nightmare Returns and The Underture. I'm kinda torn on those two. It was nice to have a bit of a throwback, but I would have rather had a couple songs that were just similar in tone to the original...maybe throw a couple of the original arrangements in here and there...but just snippets. I don't really like how the album opens with the Steven intro. Kinda cheapens Steven in my opinion. That intro always gets a huge pop live. It would be like using the Poison riff to open another song.

I still need to listen to it a few more times to really have a strong opinion one way or the other. I guess I was still hoping for something a little scarier.

I'm going to be getting the Best Buy version and the iPad version. Looking forward to the extras from those.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:18 pm

A clip from NME tv i dont think i have seen this anywhere on here before http://www.nme.com/nme-video/alice-coop ... 5541565001
Boomshanka

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:26 pm

James1981 wrote:A clip from NME tv i dont think i have seen this anywhere on here before http://www.nme.com/nme-video/alice-coop ... 5541565001
Pretty cool , with some interesting pics !

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:05 pm

wow man.... this album grew on me in a way that I dont feel since so many years ago.... impressive.
Im so excited to get all the versions I ordered.... (some of them three times!!) in the mail.... I am made of you is just exquisite.... it's so emotional....
Sorry for this post, not with substance, but it's just for sharing my excitement....

Pennypacker
Trash
Trash

Post by Pennypacker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:Spoilers below...

Just my $0.02.

At first listen, it certainly isn't as cringe-worthy as ACAS. I hear a lot of similarities in a lot of the songs. Caffeine totally reminds me of Aspirin Damage...which isn't a bad thing since I like that song.

The songs I really don't care for....and did kinda make me cringe...

-Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever
-Ghouls Gone Wild
-Last Man on Earth (to an extent)

I understand that Last Man on Earth was sort of supposed to parallel Some Folks. I don't think it is anywhere near as good as Some Folks. I would actually love to see him bust out Some Folks in the next tour.

The Nightmare Returns and The Underture. I'm kinda torn on those two. It was nice to have a bit of a throwback, but I would have rather had a couple songs that were just similar in tone to the original...maybe throw a couple of the original arrangements in here and there...but just snippets. I don't really like how the album opens with the Steven intro. Kinda cheapens Steven in my opinion. That intro always gets a huge pop live. It would be like using the Poison riff to open another song.

I still need to listen to it a few more times to really have a strong opinion one way or the other. I guess I was still hoping for something a little scarier.

I'm going to be getting the Best Buy version and the iPad version. Looking forward to the extras from those.

I thought Disco was hilarious. Based on the 30 sec clip I was expecting something horrible but I was positively surprised when I listened to the full song. The last 40 or so seconds killed it for me though.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Now that the Primary 14 tracks can be found. I have heard them all. I would give the album a solid B.
Overall I like most of the tracks. It will be interesting to hear the bonus tracks and see how they are.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Perhaps ACAS just lowered my expectations for any future new material. That was the song that made my wife look up and say "seriously?"

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:18 am

I'm not sure how anyone cannot like "Last Man On Earth". Just a brilliant song through and through that shows off the versatility that's been missing from AC for a long time.

I also don't get the "I was expecting something scarier". Since when has Alice Cooper truly been "scary"? A handful of times?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:25 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Since when has Alice Cooper truly been "scary"? A handful of times?
Welcome to My Nightmare.....which is why I kinda expected it from the sequel.

I don't mind Last Man on Earth as much as Disco and Ghouls. I think it would have been better if Alice would have turned his "Every Other Word Needs To Rhyme" button off. It seems to get stuck a lot these days.

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:34 am

Feezle-Nuts wrote:
RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Since when has Alice Cooper truly been "scary"? A handful of times?

I don't mind Last Man on Earth as much as Disco and Ghouls. I think it would have been better if Alice would have turned his "Every Other Word Needs To Rhyme" button off. It seems to get stuck a lot these days.
I couldn't agree more. Takes away from him as a lyricist. The other thing that bugs me is the overuse of he and she.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:48 am

Feezle-Nuts wrote:
That's the danger in a sequel, everyone has expectations.

That said, I don't think "Some Folks", "Only Women Bleed", "Cold Ethyl", "Escape", or "Department of Youth" are the slightest bit scary.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:01 am

No, but that is only half of the album.

You know, maybe scary isn't totally what I meant. Dangerous is probably more how I would describe it. Maybe psychotic. I don't know. Steven type stuff. We get teased with it a little bit in each album, but not since Nightmare have we had a nice helping of crazy.[EDIT: I take that back...FTI...brilliant] It seems like he has tried to do it a couple of times and ends up going more on the goofy side.

Don't get me wrong, the tongue in cheek is cool, but it is cooler when it is subtle. A line or two here and there. Make the audience dig for it. Don't slap them in the face with two whole songs in a row that are 100% cheddar.

I guess I could kind of compare it to the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (stay with me). In the first one, Jack was a smart ass. He made comments under his breathe, made fun of people, did things you had to pay attention to see. In the sequels, he almost became a parody of himself. They dumbed it down enough to let everyone in on the jokes. If you come right out and tell the audience "Hey, here is a joke, you are supposed to laugh", it just isn't funny anymore.

That is what Alice is kinda doing. "Hey guys! Zombies. Disco. Get it? You get it right? Funny stuff right? Guys? Guys? Its funny because I'm Alice Cooper. Don't you get it?" He has pretty much made a parody of the character, and it really isn't funny anymore.

Anyway, I've listened to the album a couple more times. Meh. A few songs that I like, but I'm kinda bored with it. I even tried mixing wtmn and w2mn together and that didn't work. Oh well. I'll be happy for getting a couple gems, and will be hopeful for the bonus tracks. It is sure as hell more than I got with ACAS.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:31 am

My thoughts on the whole album is "Classic" I totally love it ALL :alice:

See I didn't go into expecting an album like the original WTMN

I didn't expect a scary album--Alice said the "Humor" was there in interviews he did. So I didn't expect a dark kind of album

It is 100x better than that last album ACAS. Actually to me it is better than anything he has done in some time since maybe the 70s..Though there have been some good ones since the 70s, "Stooped, LT, BP, and Eyes.

I Am Made Of You ..Autotune. .So? Big deal..it works on that song pretty well. One of the best songs Alioe has done.

Disco Bloodbath..Didn't like it at first..again so? after a few listens to it..I dig it now.

Ghouls Gone Wild (Scooby Doo) Really?? Is it really that aweful..to me I don't think so..I actually liked it from first listen.

Caffeine ...Great Alice song.

A Runaway Train cool song different no chorus but a good song

Last Man On Earth ..I really love this song. I love when Alice does a different type of thing.

Something To Remember Me By ..Great Balled, Was very much looking forward to hearing this one all the way through from the avalable 30 second the 1:30 second clips...And hearing it all the way through it hasn't dissapointed me.

When Hell Comes Home ..I guess when you think of a scarry track..this one might fit the bill..Great song, Very dark sounding and dark subject matter.

The Congregation...Another great track. I like this one alot.

What Baby Wants ..A good current type of song. So he is doing something current? He did Gotta Dance as well as NMLAYC (Both Disco and were current for the time. which I really don't see why that NMLAYC has so much dislike?? Anmyway- .. I never saw what people were so scared about hearing that Kesha was going to be on the album?? Maybe that hearing Kesha would qualify the album as being "Scary" to them? :rotfl: .."

I'll Bite Your Face Off. cool Rolling Stones type of rocker.

I Gotta Get Outta Here .. I really like this one alot.

The Nightmare Returns. didnt really much need this one??

The Underture. Good piece on songs from both albums..again maybe didnt need this one.

Another thing I do like about this album is it is not another victim of the loudness wars. I feel that ACAS, Dirty Diamonds were as. Alot of the mix on those two sounded just way to loud with everything up to high that it distorts and really doesn't sound good. Alot of new albums as well as older remasters etc suffer from this.

Thankfully W2MN doesnt suffer from that. And listing to the album on my home stereo I actually have to turn the volume up louder than alot of my other Cds..This gives to me a impression of something that was recorded a bit longer ago as it reminds me of older recordings in that way :) Thank You Bob or whoever it was that did the final mix for not turning everything up to distort the album.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:38 am

Feezle-Nuts wrote:You know, maybe scary isn't totally what I meant. Dangerous is probably more how I would describe it. Maybe psychotic. I don't know. Steven type stuff. We get teased with it a little bit in each album, but not since Nightmare have we had a nice helping of crazy.[EDIT: I take that back...FTI...brilliant] It seems like he has tried to do it a couple of times and ends up going more on the goofy side.
I hear what you're saying, and I think there is some truth to that. Lyrically I think Alice tried to go the psychotic / dangerous route on the last album but it wasn't up to par musically (and lyrically too).

W2MN, on the other hand, is very strong musically albeit it's not all 'hard rock'. Alice and Ezrin took some chances here. They didn't play it safe with straight forward rock album as Alice has done for the last so many albums. To me, this is the most varied and artistic Alice we've seen since the albums of the mid-to-late 70s.

I have a sense that some people that aren't really happy with it now will see it differently over time due to the quality of the material.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:06 am

Ok, so I'm gonna eat a little crow here. I was just listening to the album again and following along with the lyrics posted on this site. As I was doing so, I noticed I was missing a track! I checked my laptop and indeed, I somehow didn't copy When Hell Comes Home over to my iTunes so it didn't sync to my iPhone. Holy crap, that was the song I wanted. The return of Steven. So yeah, tomorrow I will give the whole thing another listen to and see if I like the album better as a whole now.

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:54 am

ThePainAddict wrote:Mitch was very flattering to the album. However, he compares some of the music to 3 songs, Ubangi Stomp, Clones, and Kiss' I was made for lovin you. Not exactly the highest standard. Not that this changes my expectations.
I don't agree with Mitch's comparisons, I've heard the album and IMO they don't sound like the above mentioned at all. The album is absolutely great,love the varying styles. It's a huge leap forward from ACAS. My expectations like everyone else's were high and I wasn't disappointed.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:04 am

Some very interesting reviews here thats for sure. I haven't heard anything other then I'll Bite You're Face Off but from what I'm reading it's definitely not the album I was expecting. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm all for Alice trying something different so I'm looking forward to that. I guess my biggest worry is that some of the reviews are making it sound like it's almost a Weird Al type comedy album or something like that. I definitely prefer dark/scary Alice to goofy Alice. Either way I can't wait to finally hear it for myself
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:25 am

HORRORHOLIC wrote: I guess my biggest worry is that some of the reviews are making it sound like it's almost a Weird Al type comedy album or something like that. I definitely prefer dark/scary Alice to goofy Alice. Either way I can't wait to finally hear it for myself
Don't worry it's not a "Weird Al" comedy album.
Like you I read all the reviews and thought I wouldn't like the album and I hadn't even listened to it. I never read reviews before I joined this site so I would just buy the album, play it and make up my own mind without conflicting views. I do like to hear what other people think but you gotta listen to it first.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:49 am

My review.
I had very mixed feelings about how this album was going to sound. I was underwhelmed by IBYFO although I loved caffeine, the reviews have been on the whole very good but with one or two that perhaps grounded my expectations. I have now listened to the album several times and here are my little thoughts on it.

1 You don’t get a true representation of the Album from the clips, even the extended one's. There is a lot more subtly, there is a lot more linking between the two albums. From the clips I was expecting a good solid rocker and there is a lot more to this Album than that.

2 This is the first time that I have listened to an Alice album without having the lp/cd cover and it definitely diminishes the experience. I love to pour over the production notes and take in the art work and bring them together. Even ACAS was enhanced by the brilliant artwork. You are adding another two senses to the experience, sight and touch. I feel sorry for the youngsters who are missing out on this whole aspect of music. I can’t wait for the fan pack and if you haven’t heard the album yet I suggest you’re not weak like me and hang on for ten days.
Ok the opening song, ‘I am made of you’ is a superb atmospheric opener, it sets the tone superbly. One small thing is that I would perhaps liked a bit more of ‘the underture’ to start the song to help bookmark the album. Caffeine is I think a classic Alice rocker, I love this song.’ The nightmare returns’ sets us back into the story as Steven finds himself unable to stay awake and is overwhelmed by his nightmare. ‘Last man on earth’ may divide opinion but I love it, I think it fits in superbly, shows Alice’s versatility and pushes the story forward. Out of the other two songs that will divide the camps ‘disco bloodbath boogie’ I cant take to, I can see what Alice was trying to do but I just feel it was trying too hard to be humorous at the expense of having a good song. ‘Ghouls gone wild’ just sounds like a filler song that would be ok on another album but definitely weakens this one. ‘What baby wants’ is also superb and is classic Alice attitude given to a new sound. I also think IBYFO sounds much better in the album context, I believe it is a different mix than the single. ‘ hell come’s home is another classic, a great blues sound, fantastic bass, very much in the vein of ‘dead babies’.

In summary, in my opinion this is an Alice Cooper classic, it is still growing on me with every listen. It is such a mix of styles but with the superb production values they all fit together. There should be something for everyone, solid seventies sounding rockers, twisted early eighties Alice, great storylines and the obligatory ballad. I do feel that one thing that is missing from the original is the psychotic atmosphere that came from the years ago/steven/awakening trilogy that propelled the original from classic rock album to masterpiece. If anything this album is more a companion piece to GTH, although I think that this one is superior. I would place this album below FTI but right there with the last temptation, which is high praise indeed. It has certainly restored my faith after ACAS. I hope that you all enjoy this album as much as I have.