W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:13 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:I can't help feeling it would be beneficial for these people to re-listen to the original.

No need to as I have been listening to it for the past 36 years. This new version though will quickly find its way to the bottom of the disappointment drawer along with Eyes, Dragontown and ACAS...

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Parish wrote:This new version though will quickly find its way to the bottom of the disappointment drawer along with Eyes, Dragontown and ACAS...
Awww, how sweet that you give your drawers names. Do you also have a 'cynical' cupboard or perhaps a 'conspiracy' cabinet? You should think about building yourself a 'sour grapes' shed too.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:19 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Parish is cracking me up...
Thank you :clap:
GailsFriend wrote: the concept that Alice Cooper has no ability to create anything good unless he is working with the original band...is absolutely laughable.
Never said that as I loved Brutal Planet

GailsFriend wrote:
I am sure the Decemberists are writing songs about controversial subjects like necrophilia, male prostitution, coming out of the closet, masturbation, hell and the devil, vampires, insanity, and being "the prettiest cop on the block"....
I am sure the Decemberists mix up their musical styles all the time and have a theatrical stage presentation.
Actually they have covered almost all of these topics ( maybe not the prettiest cop but that song sucked so why would they ) and then some..
GailsFriend wrote:
Yep....I am sure they are breaking musical boundaries all the time. I gotta take a nap.....zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Be careful as you don't want to have another substandard nightmare...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Parish wrote:
andyrew wrote:Personally, I like W2MN and respect the kind of humour he was going for. Some of it may be over the top for some...
I think this point is very valid. Even though Alice has had dashes of humor on all of his records the ones with the ACG were a bit more subtle. I enjoyed it more when Alice was perceived as "dangerous" as opposed to clumsy and comedic...
Stuff like "Under My Wheels" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" is oh so dangerous and subtle.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:21 pm

[quote="While Heaven WeptAwww, how sweet that you give your drawers names. Do you also have a 'cynical' cupboard or perhaps a 'conspiracy' cabinet? You should think about building yourself a 'sour grapes' shed too.[/quote]

:clap: That was great... :rotfl:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Parish wrote:Be careful as you don't want to have another substandard nightmare...
You come off as bitter.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:24 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: Stuff like "Under My Wheels" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" is oh so dangerous and subtle.
The perception of Alice then was worlds apart from what it is now. Alice then was a completely different public animal...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:25 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Parish wrote:Be careful as you don't want to have another substandard nightmare...
You come off as bitter.
Huh? I'm just sparring with Gail...do be so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3Vz8kVa20

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Joking aside, i am surprised that you are so down on the new album. For what it's worth i really wasn't a fan of ACAS, it was the first album where i really struggled to find enjoyment in any of it.

Dragontown wasn't a great album but even that had a couple of decent tracks. I remember being VERY disappointed when that came out and it was only after a few months i could bring myself to appreciate the qualities.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:34 pm

>Ernie the custodian and Ira the doorman...there I said it

They don't work for Alice, though. It's fine if you don't want to give names, but it means your statement has no credibility.

>A thousand apologies I meant a THIRD of the record..

Which is entirely different to what you originally implied.

>Nothing other than its sounds like these artists and not like Alice Cooper...

That's a fair point but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason not to like those songs, though. Besides, you could argue that "Black Juju" sounds like Pink Floyd and that "Under My Wheels" sounds like The Rolling Stones as well.

>I enjoyed it more when Alice was perceived as "dangerous" as opposed to clumsy and comedic...

Anyone who thinks Alice could still be considered ""dangerous"" in 2011 is living in the past - the world is a very different place compared to the way it used to be.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:37 pm

> The perception of Alice then was worlds apart from what it is now. Alice then was a completely different public animal...

What do you think of the songs recorded on W2MN by Alice and the original band members?

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 pm

That is wonderful...."Serious"-ly! Alice Cooper looks like a wreck, but the performance is tight.

After the King is Dead tour, the Decemberists will have a multi-year hiatus....I wonder if Colin Meloy is planning to go solo. Hmmm... Wouldn't it be ironic if the band broke up and Parish would be forced to choose between Colin Meloy or The Decemberists? I am sure Colin Meloy would make "substandard" music just because he wasn't with the band anymore.

This story sounds familiar....oh yeah, he already made a solo album in 2008. I guess it was substandard.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:41 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: >Ernie the custodian and Ira the doorman...there I said it

They don't work for Alice, though. It's fine if you don't want to give names, but it means your statement has no credibility.
Not at all...Its the same scenario here in the US with Republican officials. Don't rock the boat = keep YOUR job. Its all about whats best for them and not the country/product.
A_MichaelUK wrote: >A thousand apologies I meant a THIRD of the record..

Which is entirely different to what you originally implied.
Not at all once again...

A_MichaelUK wrote:

>I enjoyed it more when Alice was perceived as "dangerous" as opposed to clumsy and comedic...

Anyone who thinks Alice could still be considered ""dangerous"" in 2011 is living in the past - the world is a very different place compared to the way it used to be.
Not at all once again, again. I totally agree that "Anyone who thinks Alice could still be considered "dangerous" in 2011 is living in the past" but that doesnt mean his records should reflect a complete lack of danger or bite like his earlier records had and his fame was created from...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:43 pm

andyrew wrote:> The perception of Alice then was worlds apart from what it is now. Alice then was a completely different public animal...

What do you think of the songs recorded on W2MN by Alice and the original band members?
They have a controlled bite to them.

When Hell Comes Home is easily the best song on the record.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:45 pm

GailsFriend wrote: After the King is Dead tour, the Decemberists will have a multi-year hiatus....I wonder if Colin Meloy is planning to go solo. Hmmm... Wouldn't it be ironic if the band broke up and Parish would be forced to choose between Colin Meloy or The Decemberists? I am sure Colin Meloy would make "substandard" music just because he wasn't with the band anymore. This story sounds familiar....oh yeah, he already made a solo album in 2008. I guess it was substandard.
Have you had your coffee yet? Or should I say caffeine, caffeine! ( lawd thats a bad song... )

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Parish wrote:
RemarkablyInsincere wrote: Stuff like "Under My Wheels" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" is oh so dangerous and subtle.
The perception of Alice then was worlds apart from what it is now. Alice then was a completely different public animal...
But you were talking about the music, not the persona.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

I am waiting for the Decemberists or Colin Meloy to work with Bob Ezrin....aren't you?
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:59 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: But you were talking about the music, not the persona.
Exactly the point, Alice could sing about dancing teeth and snakes down Betsy's dress and still come off as menacing without actually stating "I'm dangerous, I'm a madman, etc...

Whatever.......In the immortal words of John Lennon

"I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this."

:alice:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Parish wrote:
RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
You come off as bitter.
Huh? I'm just sparring with Gail...do be so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3Vz8kVa20
No, your whole diatribe about the album has come off as really very bitter. More than a few have posted they don't like the album, but most have done it much more eloquently than you did.

Saying "it's awful and he should stop making albums" and following it up with silliness like "it diminishes the legacy of the original" and furthermore saying it's "stoopid". Not to mention the uncalled for shot you took at his entourage.

If you don't like the album fine, but your way of going about it just comes off as extremely childish.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:01 pm

GailsFriend wrote:I am waiting for the Decemberists or Colin Meloy to work with Bob Ezrin....aren't you?
Before I heard WDohMN I would have said yes...