W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Hey Parish, since we talk so much....let's be friends!!! Send me a message! I tried to send you a message...but, I couldn't.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:46 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Hey Parish, since we talk so much....let's be friends!!! Send me a message! I tried to send you a message...but, I couldn't.
Whatever we have to say we can say it front of our friends...

and Dyslexia is an awful song!

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:48 pm

what are you......afraid? BOO!

New Yorker scared of a Californian....geez!

Back on topic: W2MN is amazing.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm finding that some of the songs that didn't stand out to me initially, have now become some of my favorites.

That's the sign of a quality album. When after a considerable amount of listenings, you continue to find new things that you like.

"The Congregation" and "Ghouls Gone Wild", didn't stand out to me initally, but now have become two of my favorites on the album.

The only track on the album that really does nothing for me is the ballad. It's just missing that something special that Alice ballads often have for whatever reason.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:07 pm

I think this album pretty much cinches it - Alice is incapable of putting out a good - let alone a great album.

I understand Gail's Friend blind alliengance, but for those of us being honest about the merits of this album, know what a collasal flop this album is.

Coming off the RnRHOF induction the AC brand looked like it was getting some life breathed into it. A hyped up and ridiculously long overdue boxed set gets cobbled together, a possible reunion tour is waved around and then a Welcome to My Nightmare sequel - WOW a great time to be an Alice fan, right?

- Box set looks great, and most fans ignore the stutter steps in which it's released and the Alice camp's inability to meet deadlines. As well, the content isn't as "rare" as hyped, as most colectors had 90% of this material in their possession - in comparable quality

- The reunion tour is limited to a corporate sponsored event with a half dozen hits played by the four surviving members

- The WTMN sequel? Reuniting with Ezrin, appearances by "the band", Steve Hunter playing on the album, a duet with a 8-months-ago hot pop tart, pre-release fan packs, vinyl editions and special i-pad version. This album is gonna be da bomb right?

"Thud", W2MN is an uneven, sometimes laughably bad album. Not one killer track, about a half dozen decent tunes, but their impact is entirely neutralized by some pointless dross following it.

Revisiting an old glory is a risky proposition. I had my doubts but I was truly hoping for a return to form. Alas it fell well short of the mark.

For those of you who love the album - good for you, enjoy. I suspect your enjoyment is derived mostly from you self-identifying as a dedicated "true" AC fan rather than the music itself, but whatever. Just try not to tell anyone that "Ghouls Gone Wild" is hilarious, or great, or anything other than pathetic and juvenile.

Alice's next album will be the first one that I won't be buying. Took a long time to come to this point, the man hasn't released an interesting album since 1994, but here we are.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:08 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>It's no more interesting than anyone else's ,

I agree but two people specifically did ask.

>in fact by your brief comments on the album - your opinions are considerably less interesting.

But still enough for you to comment on, though.
um,no. Pointing out how banal something is doesn't mean that it isn't banal. Are you thick?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Toronto Bob is spot on here and supports my feelings.

My question/debate is this...

If Alice came out with his last 5 albums initially would he be as famous?

::((:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Parish wrote: If Alice came out with his last 5 albums initially would he be as famous?

If Paul McCartney came out with his last 5 album initially would he be as famous? Name me one artist that's been around 40 years or even 30 years you can say that about.

What a silly question.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 pm

>Box set looks great, and most fans ignore the stutter steps in

It wasn’t designed for “most fans”.

>which it's released and the Alice camp's inability to meet deadlines.

Why do you insist on writing about stuff you have no knowledge of? How do you know the delays weren’t due to external factors? This has been discussed many times before on this board.

>As well, the content isn't as "rare" as hyped, as most colectors had 90% of this material in their possession - in comparable quality

Not really. I think it was DIMMA who gave quite a good summary of this. Again, this has been discussed many times previously on this board. Also, something like 4,500 units have been manufactured and sent to retailers and I don’t think there are 4,500 Alice Cooper “collectors” around the world of the type you describe. A large percentage of the people buying (and who have bought) the box – set, do not have “90% of this material in their possession - in comparable quality”. If you have any more ill – informed comments, send me a private message. I’ll make sure Bob Ezrin sees them.

> The reunion tour is limited to a corporate sponsored event with a half dozen hits played by the four surviving members

Write to Alice Cooper and express your displeasure. Let us know what his response is.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:23 pm

>um,no. Pointing out how banal something is doesn't mean that it isn't banal.

You can be interesting and "banal" though.

>Are you thick?

Are you interested?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:24 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: If Paul McCartney came out with his last 5 album initially would he be as famous? Name me one artist that's been around 40 years or even 30 years you can say that about.

What a silly question.
Not at all as When Hell Comes Home shows/proves that there is life here.

Alice has to stop being the "Ring Master" and do what he did best (and what gave him the life he now lives) and thats fronting the ACGROUP where other peoples inputs can enhance and better one minded and same 'ol, same 'ol themes.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:27 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:Write to Alice Cooper and express your displeasure. Let us know what his response is.
Are you wearing Cooper make up right now?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Toronto Bob wrote: - Box set looks great, [...] As well, the content isn't as "rare" as hyped, as most colectors had 90% of this material in their possession - in comparable quality
Maybe the box set isn't just for those that have been collecting for years upon years. Just because YOU already have it all, doesn't mean it shouldn't be released for others to enjoy. Nobody held a gun to your head to buy it.

That said, don't think I don't remember your initial glowing review of the box set posted on the Hoffman boards.
Toronto Bob wrote: I suspect your enjoyment is derived mostly from you self-identifying as a dedicated "true" AC fan rather than the music itself, but whatever.
Well gee thanks for being so condescending. God forbid we'd like the album because we're fans of Alice Cooper.
Toronto Bob wrote: Alice's next album will be the first one that I won't be buying. Took a long time to come to this point, the man hasn't released an interesting album since 1994, but here we are.
Good idea. Seems like this whole thing has caused you a lot of pain.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Well im not sure how well Brutal Planet or Dragontown would of been received in the 60s/70s but W2MN i think would now be considered a classic if it was released back then. I know not of this blind alliengance that you speak. Its just that im not bitter and twisted that the ACG are not together and think that there are certain people on here who indeed have blind alliegance towards them and not vice versa. The new album is fantastic and has brought so much joy into my life. Torronto Bob says that this album clinches it for Alice, in what way? 90% of the reviews out there say it is great and it has sold more than double what his last album did. Everyone i have played it to loves it and i have converted a few people because of it. I would call W2MN a sucess in every way.
Boomshanka

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Parish wrote: Not at all as When Hell Comes Home shows/proves that there is life here.

Alice has to stop being the "Ring Master" and do what he did best (and what gave him the life he now lives) and thats fronting the ACGROUP where other peoples inputs can enhance and better one minded and same 'ol, same 'ol themes.
None of this has anything to do with your silly and ridiculous question.

I'm asking you to name me one artist that's been around as long as Alice where that can be said.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm

James1981 wrote: 90% of the reviews out there say it is great and it has sold more than double what his last album did. Everyone i have played it to loves it and i have converted a few people because of it. I would call W2MN a sucess in every way.
:rotfl:

Twice as much as nothing isn't a victory in my book. Alice had an entire ACAS stage show planned and scraped it because no-one-cared...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:36 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: None of this has anything to do with your silly and ridiculous question.

I'm asking you to name me one artist that's been around as long as Alice where that can be said.
A blind delegation indeed...bump into walls much?

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Parish wrote: If Alice came out with his last 5 albums initially would he be as famous?

If Paul McCartney came out with his last 5 album initially would he be as famous? Name me one artist that's been around 40 years or even 30 years you can say that about.

What a silly question.
I completely agree it is a silly question.

As for the album I didn't listed to it for about a week and listened to it again yesterday and do you know what? It sounds great to me and I am liking some tracks I didnt like as well before. I think if some whould just let go of their expectations that they might have had about it being like the first one and the stupid gripe about the so called autotune and just listen and enjoy it for what it is..a very good album.

See I didnt become a fan when Alice was at his peak I actually became a big fan about the time he released Secial Forces and got every release after as well as all the ones before. I like all the albums even Zipper as I feell they all have something to offer..at lease something I like. the only dissapoitment I really had was ACAS as it just wasnt up to par. I guess after that anything could seem like a masterpiece. But I tell you what this new one is really great in my opinion and I am looking forward to more.
Last edited by steven15322 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Parish wrote: A blind delegation indeed...bump into walls much?
As expected, just more trolling on your part.

Let me ask, how long can we expect your whining over this album to continue?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:46 pm

steven15322 wrote: I completely agree it is a silly question.
I was speaking in terms of the formula here not the early hits that make any artist recognized.

Alice Cooper was best when there were 5 inputs creating the music and it was a democracy. Now he talks about himself in the third person like he's a damn Universal Studios attraction.......oh wait, he is :smack: