W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Parish says, "With each new release Alice chips away at the unique, reckless and original status of the legendary ACG..."

("being a fan" means that you accept the musical and creative changes with a group or artist throughout the years.)..."as long as those changes are on par with what the artist has done in the past in regards to quality."

Gailfriend says....it is laughable that somehow you think Alice doesn't know the standard that was set with Bob Ezrin on board between LITD and BDB, but when Bob and Alice work with the original band members on W2MN, somehow it is SUB-STANDARD (or in your words, "awful")....did you read any of the liner notes or songwriting credits?

So, which is it?
a) Alice Cooper doesn't know what he is doing.

b) Bob Ezrin doesn't know what he is doing.

c) Parish knows everything because he saw Alice in 1972.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Parish wrote:
RemarkablyInsincere wrote: Yes, it is great for me.

http://mancards.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... uraged.png

Got it...
I'm always fascinated when people seem personally offended and visibly upset when an artist releases material that doesn't live up to their own personal expectations.

I can't say I'm surprised. I knew when it was announced this was going to be a sequel that it would send some off the deep end.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:49 pm

GailsFriend wrote:The Decemberists are boring and you know know it.
I actually genuinely love that band! Not that i agree with anything else Parish is saying!

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:27 pm

I am seriously sick to death about how these supposed ACG 'purists' have to compare each and every other Alice album that comes along.

Get a clue Parish! You and your ilk don't ever speak for Alice, Neal, Dennis, Glen, and Michael. You never have and you never will.

It's people like you, Iffy, and WYM that have to sap all the fun out of places like these simply because none of you can have a good time and have to constantly have to push it down the rest of our throats about how great and blessed be the ACG was and how everything that came after it was crap.

Here's a hard truth: at the end of the day it's ALL Alice Cooper, so why the continued 37 year bias? The ACG wasn't all that very godlike as you all point them out to be so GET OFF IT. Alice has endured for far longer and he's survived.

Ugh, you ACG'ers disgust me. We all get it, you hate everything post ACG so just do the rest of us a favor and build your own ACG dedication site.

THe rest of us will carry on and look forward to more shows and a few more albums.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:26 am

MacQueen,

Did you have to be the polar opposite of Parish, you come off just as comical saying "Ugh, you ACG'ers disgust me. We all get it, you hate everything post ACG so just do the rest of us a favor and build your own ACG dedication site."
It doesn't have to be group vs. solo.

I very much prefer the ACG lps, in fact they make up all of my top 5 AC lps. Nevertheless, I still like Alice solo and love the new lp.
This site exists for fans of the original Alice Cooper (5 memebers) as well as Alice Cooper (solo), Si also regularly gives updates for all of the original members projects as well as those of other members of the AC family of musicians.

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:48 am

ThePainAddict wrote:MacQueen,

Did you have to be the polar opposite of Parish, you come off just as comical saying "Ugh, you ACG'ers disgust me. We all get it, you hate everything post ACG so just do the rest of us a favor and build your own ACG dedication site."
It doesn't have to be group vs. solo.

I very much prefer the ACG lps, in fact they make up all of my top 5 AC lps. Nevertheless, I still like Alice solo and love the new lp.
This site exists for fans of the original Alice Cooper (5 memebers) as well as Alice Cooper (solo), Si also regularly gives updates for all of the original members projects as well as those of other members of the AC family of musicians.

Consider me chastised. Very well done. :)

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:05 am

MacQueen wrote:It's people like you, Iffy, and WYM that have to sap all the fun out of places like these simply because none of you can have a good time and have to constantly have to push it down the rest of our throats about how great and blessed be the ACG was and how everything that came after it was crap.
Just to warn you, "WickedYoungMan" was my former screen name I don't recall ever saying or thinking anything of the like. I'll leave you this opportunity to rethink that and retract as necessary so that *I* am not misrepresented or accused of such things again.

Thank you.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm

At least now I know know I'm dealing with the clueless...
GailsFriend wrote: Hmmmm, I wonder who started making CONCEPT ALBUMS really cool....Was it The Pretty Things' SF Sorrow or The Who's Tommy....or Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare? HMMMMMM? I WONDER....
That would have been Frank Sinatra/In The Wee Small Hours...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
I actually genuinely love that band! Not that i agree with anything else Parish is saying!

Booooyah!

A GREAT band...

:clap: to you WHW!

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: I'm always fascinated when people seem personally offended and visibly upset when an artist releases material that doesn't live up to their own personal expectations.

I TRULY appreciate your intelligence and rational approach RI. That being said I didnt come here "guns a blazin" blasting the new record. I reviewed/gave my opinion and then had to deflect a verbal barrage...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:52 pm

I don't have any problem at all with you not liking the album, but some of your subsequent comments don’t quite bear scrutiny. You wrote: “Close your eyes and throw a dart, you'll hit someone in his entourage whose guilty...” That’s an incredibly insulting thing to say to the “entourage” (whatever that is) and to Alice as well. If you think that’s how Alice operates or that he is surrounded by sycophants, you’re very mistaken.

>Welcome Doh! My Nightmare just rips off the best instrumentals from the original and then wraps them around the newer inadequate songs.

Absolutely false. There are musical references to the first album in just three songs

>None of these newer songs have a cohesive nightmare theme to them at all...

Who said nightmares are “cohesive”? Besides, that accusation has been made in reference to the first album as well.

>even then The Congregation is a Manson rip off...

You can also hear traces of John Lennon and / or Liam Gallagher and "School's Out" as well. Why do you exclude those influences?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:05 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:I don't have any problem at all with you not liking the album, but some of your subsequent comments don’t quite bear scrutiny. You wrote: “Close your eyes and throw a dart, you'll hit someone in his entourage whose guilty...” That’s an incredibly insulting thing to say to the “entourage” (whatever that is) and to Alice as well. If you think that’s how Alice operates or that he is surrounded by sycophants, you’re very mistaken.
Its my Emperor's New Clothes analogy and its been the same way for years...
A_MichaelUK wrote: >Welcome Doh! My Nightmare just rips off the best instrumentals from the original and then wraps them around the newer inadequate songs.

Absolutely false. There are musical references to the first album in just three songs
It starts with 'Steven" and carrys on with "Some Folks" for The Last Man On Earth and then the "Grand Finale", that doesn't count?

A_MichaelUK wrote: >None of these newer songs have a cohesive nightmare theme to them at all...

Who said nightmares are “cohesive”? Besides, that accusation has been made in reference to the first album as well.
Point taken and accepted...

A_MichaelUK wrote:
>even then The Congregation is a Manson rip off...

You can also hear traces of John Lennon and / or Liam Gallagher and "School's Out" as well. Why do you exclude those influences?
You're right, Alice "borrowed" from them as well...

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:38 pm

andyrew wrote:Another review...

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/167982/9
My point(s)exactly....Perhaps Alice can create a new character for his next release based on his recent reviews and call him "Luke Warm"...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

>Its my Emperor's New Clothes analogy and its been the same way for years...

If that's the case, you need to name these cowards then.

>It starts with 'Steven" and carrys on with "Some Folks" for The Last Man On Earth and then the "Grand Finale", that doesn't count?

You're getting confused but I'll allow you "The Last Man On Earth" - that's still only four songs out of twelve though. You made it sound like it happens on every song on the album.

>You're right, Alice "borrowed" from them as well...

That's right. What's the problem?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:50 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Its my Emperor's New Clothes analogy and its been the same way for years...

If that's the case, you need to name these cowards then.
Ernie the custodian and Ira the doorman...there I said it
A_MichaelUK wrote:
You're getting confused but I'll allow you "The Last Man On Earth" - that's still only four songs out of twelve though. You made it sound like it happens on every song on the album.
A thousand apologies I meant a THIRD of the record..
A_MichaelUK wrote:

>You're right, Alice "borrowed" from them as well...

That's right. What's the problem?
Nothing other than its sounds like these artists and not like Alice Cooper...

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:53 pm

> My point(s)exactly....Perhaps Alice can create a new character for his next release based on his recent reviews and call him "Luke Warm"...

Personally, I like W2MN and respect the kind of humour he was going for. Some of it may be over the top for some, but you always get risks with Alice and I'm fine with them. And I think he made a great move to create a newer sound with this one rather than going back to the 1975 sound. But if he wants to make a 3rd nightmare, I don't think it would work out so well. The time span between this one and the next one is way too short and I agree that a new concept/characters need to be created. It would be cool if he ended his career with a 3rd one though and gave fans a link with the 1975 one down the road...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 pm

andyrew wrote:Personally, I like W2MN and respect the kind of humour he was going for. Some of it may be over the top for some...
I think this point is very valid. Even though Alice has had dashes of humor on all of his records the ones with the ACG were a bit more subtle. I enjoyed it more when Alice was perceived as "dangerous" as opposed to clumsy and comedic...

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Some of the comments about W2MN i have read really amaze me.

I have heard people complaining that the new album has too many styles, isn't heavy enough, doesn't have a consistent concept, borrows too heavily off other artists etc. Yet, in most of these cases, the reviewers claim to be fans of the original album.

I can't help feeling it would be beneficial for these people to re-listen to the original.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Parish is cracking me up...

the concept that Alice Cooper has no ability to create anything good unless he is working with the original band...is absolutely laughable.

For Example, if (insert any musical group) took over 35 years away from the original lineup and made music that was viewed "substandard", would a person even bother to make a comment? Wouldn't that be a waste of time?

I am sure the Decemberists are writing songs about controversial subjects like necrophilia, male prostitution, coming out of the closet, masturbation, hell and the devil, vampires, insanity, and being "the prettiest cop on the block"....
I am sure the Decemberists mix up their musical styles all the time and have a theatrical stage presentation. Yep....I am sure they are breaking musical boundaries all the time. I gotta take a nap.....zzzzzzzzzzzz.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"