W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by revinkevin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Michael, remind me again who's has a "scientific approach" ?? You really are way over analyzing and disecting every little detail. In general I do not like heavily produced albums. They leave me cold and when a band attempts to play something live from that release it usually comes up short. In W2MN even though it is heavily produced, it all comes together fine. Ezrin (that's long time Alice producer for those who don't know)and Coop did just about everything right. When it comes to music, I do not lock myself up in a box. I still prefer a raw stripped down approach. Always will. Like the live feel of it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:40 pm

>Michael, remind me again who's has a "scientific approach" ??

You do. You were pretty specific in your earlier replies.

>You really are way over analyzing and disecting every little detail.

Not as much as you seem to what with all the 'adding' that goes on. In all seriousness, I guess you're so defensive that you didn't realise I was actually paying you a compliment.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Real glad this "was not a court of law" as someone said. Thanks for the compliment.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 pm

I can still remember reading on this very site “Alice and Bob Ezrin will get together for a sequel to Welcome to My Nightmare”........WHAT ? .......I don’t think I have been so excited about an album for decades.

The first album is probably my most played album of all time (I even bought a DVD – AUDIO player just to hear what Bob Ezrin had managed to do with it in 5.1 surround.........It is stunning - and worth every penny – I now play that version more than the original stereo one – sacrilege, I know ).

I have been a fan since ’72, and bought everything on its release from” Schools Out to Old School “, so my main hope for W2MN was for an album like “ The Last Temptation “or even “ DaDa”...something with lots of melodic song-writing, plenty of variety with a great big production full of surprises .

This new album is so much more than I had hoped for – not one bad song , with seemingly never-ending highlights ;

The way Alice sings “Daddy’s gonna get a big surprise” with the dark piano line behind him:

In fact ,the way Alice sings throughout :

The rollicking joy of “Ghouls.....”:

Bob Ezrins almost Mutt Lange-like glorious production of the surely soon- to- be- hit “What Baby Wants” (Who cares who’s singing on it, if it’s fantastic) :

Alice’s vocal and Steve Hunters guitar on the totally unexpected epic opening track:

A song about a runaway train that actually feels like a runaway train:

The wonderful humorous, chilling clever lyrics:
All those little noises and twists & turns that producers like Bob Ezrin can bring to an album .........

Just too many great “Alice “ moments to mention ............
I’ve been playing it non-stop for a week now, and it sounds amazing, whether on a good hi-fi, an iPod or in the car.

Ernie and his team have also done a fantastic job of the packaging. I love the re-painted version of the original sleeve cover, and I definitely prefer how the actual cover is darker (blacker) than the promo shots that were released.
The fan pack magazine is a great read – the shots of Alice with the Stars & Stripes t-shirt and gold lame jeans are so cool – he looks better than guys half his age.
Wonderful shots of Alice and Bob in the studio, great interviews with all concerned, and nice to get a fresh perspective when reading current reviews of the back catalogue.
And the poster reveals some added details difficult to see on the C.D cover (So glad I bought an extra two Fan Packs as gifts)

Yeah, maybe the credits could have been easier to read, and the dialogue during “When Hell..” seems a bit incoherent (maybe that was the intention), but this is flawless music making.

I know Nightmare3 has been joked about on here - count me in ..for 4,5,6.........

P.S ....Will someone ask Bob when this masterpiece is coming out it 5.1 surround? £500 for a machine and I’ve only got 2 Alice DVD-AUDIO’s!!!
It ain't going to happen ,but I can live in hope !

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Well this Album's under Universal so SACD could happen. DVD-A is no more. could always get a digital version via HDtracks as well they have both Welcome To My Nightmare and Billion Dollar Babies.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PatrickS77 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Haven't formed my definitive opinion on the album yet, but jeez, why is "Under the bed" only a bonus track?? It's probably the second best song on the album.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:09 pm

> This may get my award for the worst review;

http://genericflow.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... mare-2011/

This is what one of the guys who own the site have to say:

"Understanding someone’s approach when making their music is not necessary in order to (objectively) review and critique it."

What a bonehead :nono:

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PatrickS77 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Nick wrote:My only "complaint" thus far is that under the bed is a bonus track. the song is so incredibly good it deserves to be on the main album. someone reviewed it a while back and nailed it perfectly. the piano and quiet vocal evokes steven/years ago before it launches into a real fist pumping chorus. honestly, this would have to be my second favorite track on the album, bonus or not.
Yes! Definitely! It should have replaced one of the regular songs on the album.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 pm

homerx wrote:Well this Album's under Universal so SACD could happen. DVD-A is no more. could always get a digital version via HDtracks as well they have both Welcome To My Nightmare and Billion Dollar Babies.
SACD would be ideal , as the hi-fi will play those too .... HDtracks is a great website ......Shame that DVD-A is in it's dying stages ( though Nick Cave's recent album had a DVD-A release ) .......I imagine that the criticism of the format being " gimmicky " didn't help , but i'm sure the critisism came from people who hadn't heard WTMN or The Flaming Lips on that format ..... Simply jaw-dropping at times !

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 pm

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it's the Alice of old stirring through this CD.
Welcome Back!
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 pm

alan1958 wrote:I can still remember reading on this very site “Alice and Bob Ezrin will get together for a sequel to Welcome to My Nightmare”........WHAT ? .......I don’t think I have been so excited about an album for decades.

The first album is probably my most played album of all time (I even bought a DVD – AUDIO player just to hear what Bob Ezrin had managed to do with it in 5.1 surround.........It is stunning - and worth every penny – I now play that version more than the original stereo one – sacrilege, I know ).

I have been a fan since ’72, and bought everything on its release from” Schools Out to Old School “, so my main hope for W2MN was for an album like “ The Last Temptation “or even “ DaDa”...something with lots of melodic song-writing, plenty of variety with a great big production full of surprises .

This new album is so much more than I had hoped for – not one bad song , with seemingly never-ending highlights ;

The way Alice sings “Daddy’s gonna get a big surprise” with the dark piano line behind him:

In fact ,the way Alice sings throughout :

The rollicking joy of “Ghouls.....”:

Bob Ezrins almost Mutt Lange-like glorious production of the surely soon- to- be- hit “What Baby Wants” (Who cares who’s singing on it, if it’s fantastic) :

Alice’s vocal and Steve Hunters guitar on the totally unexpected epic opening track:

A song about a runaway train that actually feels like a runaway train:

The wonderful humorous, chilling clever lyrics:
All those little noises and twists & turns that producers like Bob Ezrin can bring to an album .........

Just too many great “Alice “ moments to mention ............
I’ve been playing it non-stop for a week now, and it sounds amazing, whether on a good hi-fi, an iPod or in the car.

Ernie and his team have also done a fantastic job of the packaging. I love the re-painted version of the original sleeve cover, and I definitely prefer how the actual cover is darker (blacker) than the promo shots that were released.
The fan pack magazine is a great read – the shots of Alice with the Stars & Stripes t-shirt and gold lame jeans are so cool – he looks better than guys half his age.
Wonderful shots of Alice and Bob in the studio, great interviews with all concerned, and nice to get a fresh perspective when reading current reviews of the back catalogue.
And the poster reveals some added details difficult to see on the C.D cover (So glad I bought an extra two Fan Packs as gifts)

Yeah, maybe the credits could have been easier to read, and the dialogue during “When Hell..” seems a bit incoherent (maybe that was the intention), but this is flawless music making.

I know Nightmare3 has been joked about on here - count me in ..for 4,5,6.........

P.S ....Will someone ask Bob when this masterpiece is coming out it 5.1 surround? £500 for a machine and I’ve only got 2 Alice DVD-AUDIO’s!!!
It ain't going to happen ,but I can live in hope !

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:51 pm

Seriously, if you claim you are a fan and you don't like this cd, you have no reason be a Coop fan, it's all here. :alice:

killer_juju
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_juju » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:17 am

evil syd wrote:Seriously, if you claim you are a fan and you don't like this cd, you have no reason be a Coop fan, it's all here. :alice:
I have every album on vinyl, but hate this album. I hate that I spent all this time thinking I was a fan when I am not. Boohoo.

There are some great songs on the album, and yes, it is all there, but there is some complete trash in my opinion also. If the two bonus tracks were included minus Disco Bloodbath, I would have found it a great album with a couple subpar moments.

The exclusion of the two bonus tracks along with the inclusion of Disco Bloodbath totally ruined the album after already not liking the effect of I Am Made Of You and the green day pop-punk gone surf of Ghouls Gone Wild and the pop of What Baby Wants. The first side is great after the slow start, but the second part of the album is represented with 3 of 4 of these aforementioned songs and an instrumental.

I made a version that I can like, so by taking out disco bloodbath and adding the two bonus tracks, I see the other songs in a new, more positive light. Although I am still unimpressed with Ghouls Gone Wild, but at least, one lull is better then what I found to be a showstopper of Disco Bloodbath and Ghouls Gone Wild.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:37 am

killer_juju wrote:
evil syd wrote:Seriously, if you claim you are a fan and you don't like this cd, you have no reason be a Coop fan, it's all here. :alice:
I have every album on vinyl, but hate this album. I hate that I spent all this time thinking I was a fan when I am not. Boohoo.

There are some great songs on the album, and yes, it is all there, but there is some complete trash in my opinion also. If the two bonus tracks were included minus Disco Bloodbath, I would have found it a great album with a couple subpar moments.

The exclusion of the two bonus tracks along with the inclusion of Disco Bloodbath totally ruined the album after already not liking the effect of I Am Made Of You and the green day pop-punk gone surf of Ghouls Gone Wild and the pop of What Baby Wants. The first side is great after the slow start, but the second part of the album is represented with 3 of 4 of these aforementioned songs and an instrumental.

I made a version that I can like, so by taking out disco bloodbath and adding the two bonus tracks, I see the other songs in a new, more positive light. Although I am still unimpressed with Ghouls Gone Wild, but at least, one lull is better then what I found to be a showstopper of Disco Bloodbath and Ghouls Gone Wild.
I'm betting you favor the hair metal days of cooper because this cd brings out the flavor of his billion dollar baby/ early year Cooper years quite amazingly!
I don't get ya, what's your favorite cooper album?

killer_juju
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_juju » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 am

I am a fan of all the ACG albums Killer and Love It To Death most of all...As I said, I really like the first part of the album from Caffeine to I'll Bite Your Face Off, and I love When Hell Comes Home. Something To Remember Me By is also a great ballad. Under The Bed and Bad Situation are great songs also!

So funny that you think, I would like the 80s Alice, because the issue is that I think the lyrics on most of the album are in the campy style that Alice has been writing since the mid 80s.

Then you get Disco Bloodbath and Ghouls Gone Wild which are terrible, and those two songs back to back are self-destructive to my view of the album, because two songs later you get What Baby Wants which isn't bad, but it's mediocre and modern also, and then one more song later, you have an instrumental. The second half is just not likeable to me. Based on all the tracks, it could've been a classic especially if one more track that is just as good as Bad Situation or Under The Bed was recorded, but I think they went for campiness over black humor which I am not a fan of.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:38 am

killer_juju wrote:I am a fan of all the ACG albums Killer and Love It To Death most of all...As I said, I really like the first part of the album from Caffeine to I'll Bite Your Face Off, and I love When Hell Comes Home. Something To Remember Me By is also a great ballad. Under The Bed and Bad Situation are great songs also!
It seems like you like a lot of the album but why so much whining?

You're ignoring everything you like and obsessing over the 2 or 3 songs you don't like.

Did you expect perfection?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

killer_juju
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_juju » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 am

The whole experience has probably made me hate this album more then just the album itself. A fan pack with a scratched cd and without the pin badge or makeup and a magazine with a few torn pages, a black double vinyl album which the official website listed (and still has listed) as being blood red vinyl which I would not have ordered if the proper listing had been given (because I would have ordered the import).

As for the breakdown of the album itself, I like 6 of the songs (2, I think are classics). I think 4 are average, 2 are subpar, and 2 should have never been recorded.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:37 am

As has been pointed out previously, contact the companies you ordered those items from for a resolution.

If you are still unsatisfied after doing so, then if you ordered by credit card you can dispute the charges.

And lastly, these issues really should have no bearing on what you think of the album itself. Judge the album on it's own merits.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:03 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote:
Si wrote:
Alicehunter2000 wrote: background voices right before "Daddy's gonna get a big suprise" there is a voice that screams "Stephen!" am I the only one that hears it?
As it's been mentioned here and the lyrics including taht are in the lyrics section, I would suggest not.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:This is the only place on the album Stephen is mentioned...right?
It's "Steven" not stephen. And the name is mentioned one other place on one of the bonus tracks.
Why do you list the title of the song in the Lyrics section as "When Hell Comes to Town?" I thought is was "When Hell Comes Home"?
I see it has been corrected....I guess we all make mistakes ;)
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 am

Killer-Juju, your package should have come with an invoice that has all the contact information in case there were any issues. It's unfortunate that you can't hear the album the way that I do...which in my opinion, is fantastic. Have you tried headphones....and of course, no distractions? I feel this album "paints" a lot of imagery in my head.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"