W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by revinkevin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm

It may be a large proportion. That does not mean I completely dislike those that you listed at all. Alice is a genius and it shines through in his work. Sometimes more brightly than others.

"You seem to take a very scientific approach which seems restrictive"

Not at all. The exact opposite of your thought is true. I do not take a all or nothing approach, or as I believe you put it "you either like it or you don't". Now that would be restrictive. You can like bits and pieces that when combined are greater than your dislike for something, thus allowing you a greater opportunity to hear different forms of music and appreciate them on their own merrits.

And as far has Ezrin's history with Alice is concerned, while it is possible that some may be unaware of it, I doubt the vast majority of the SickThings members would fall into that camp. There are certainly enough articles posted here that cover that topic, especially concerning the new release and if you go to the Album section or People section on this board there are many more listings of it.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Alicehunter2000 wrote: Listen very carefully to background voices right before "Daddy's gonna get a big suprise" there is a voice that screams "Stephen!" am I the only one that hears it?
It does sound like Steven can be heard, maybe a background effect, heard it with headphones on, but not without headphones.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 pm

I must admit that I have not read the 21 pages on this topic.

I LOVE this album - I totally think its the best thing that Alice has brought out since 'EYES'

Brilliant. Stunning from beginning to end - a full story, and totally worthy of being named Nightmare 2.

I love the way it integrates with the original.

10/10
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote:I must admit that I have not read the 21 pages on this topic.

I LOVE this album - I totally think its the best thing that Alice has brought out since 'EYES'

Brilliant. Stunning from beginning to end - a full story, and totally worthy of being named Nightmare 2.

I love the way it integrates with the original.

10/10
I also really really love this album quite alot more than any album release than I've bought in a very long time! I First I love the ballad I am made of you: totally 70's Alice w/ a modern twist to it. Great way to kick off an album w/ ballad ,was kinda unsure at first how a ballad would be as an opener on an Alice album but now I've changed my mind on that. The next song caffeine : modern Alice punk rock style song,remiscent of something off of "Diamonds" or "Eyes". The Nightmare Returns: fits perfectly kicks off the nightmare I hear pieces of songs off original "Nightmare" on it which I like alot also I like that Kip Winger plays on this one. Very creepy and haunting sounding good way to start the Nightmare off. A Runaway Train: Reunites the original AC Group love this song alot like the melody,the lyrics the riffs everything the 70's feel to it. Great song. Last Man on Earth: Very unusual voice for Alice here on this one but great song Kinda country sounding but I dig it alot. The Congregation: One of my Favorite songs on the album w/ Rob Zombie I heard from interview in fan pack CR Mag that Rob Zombie as the guide is the New Vincent Price on this track. This song has amazing vocals from Alice love the melody and the lyrics alot. I'll Bite Your Face Off: Love this song(Another one from the original Ac Group) heard it before but not one of my favorites on the album not to much to say about this one cause I've heard it live and on audio samples previous to hearing entire album. Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever: Love this song with supposedly Rob Zombie(On Vocals) Can anyone confirm that he is on vocals w/ Alice on this song?) This song rocks ,again Alice trying different sounds and styles which I love him doing. Ghouls Gone Wild: Like this song quite alot , kinda has a rock pop feel to it. Something To Remember Me By: Great Ballad here remiscent of a 70's Alice song like I never cry or You and me really like that Dick Wagner is on this which is great,love his playing on mid- 70's late 70's Alice Albums. When Hell Comes Home: Like this song alot very creepy,haunting,and doomy like something off of first "Nightmare" Album also Original Ac group is on this which of course makes it a kick ass song. What Baby Wants: With Ke$ha At first when I heard she was gonna be on new album my thought was oh no ,not that Britney Spears ripoff Wannabe dare be on Ac's Album. Then thought about it quite a bit and read what Alice said about giving artists a little room and fitting them in a pigeon hole where they don't belong and him make them fit and etc. Then I heard track and loved Alice's voice on it and Ke$ha's Voice on it and feel in love with it at first listen. I Gotta Get Outta Here: Didn't like this song at all at first listen then liten to it about three times and loved it more and more each time now I love it and the whole album. The Underture: Great Way to close and Amazing album and amazing sequel to one of Alice's greatest and first solo albums. The the Orchestration that Dick Wagner and Jeremy Rubolino used on this it is great. Also love how they captured songs from not only first Nightmare album but this new Nightmare sequel as well. Kudos to Alice for a Job well done and Alice's Team and everyone involved with the Album.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:15 am

Pennypacker
Trash
Trash

Post by Pennypacker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:00 am

After listening to the album multiple times now I must admit I still feel Dirty Diamonds is his best since The Last Temptation.

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:41 am

Si wrote:
Alicehunter2000 wrote: background voices right before "Daddy's gonna get a big suprise" there is a voice that screams "Stephen!" am I the only one that hears it?
As it's been mentioned here and the lyrics including taht are in the lyrics section, I would suggest not.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:This is the only place on the album Stephen is mentioned...right?
It's "Steven" not stephen. And the name is mentioned one other place on one of the bonus tracks.
Why do you list the title of the song in the Lyrics section as "When Hell Comes to Town?" I thought is was "When Hell Comes Home"?
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 am

Here is the dumbest review I have read...

http://www.themetalcritic.com/

this fool says "the Underture is an ABBA type song". REALLY??

Do yourself a favor and send him an email, informing him that he is an idiot.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 am

All arguments aside, you know what really inttrigues me about "I Am Made of You" the most? it's the sound of the gallows march in the first couple of verses.. outstanding.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 am

GailsFriend wrote:Here is the dumbest review I have read...

http://www.themetalcritic.com/

this fool says "the Underture is an ABBA type song". REALLY??

Do yourself a favor and send him an email, informing him that he is an idiot.
Hi GailsFriend, I sent him this:

I totally disagree with you comment on "The Underture" sounding like an ABBA song...what were you thinking? To mention ABBA and Alice Cooper in the same sentence is utterly ridiculous. They're miles apart in musical styles as YOU should know.
The Underture has 8 old & 4 new Nightmare songs in it none of which sound like ABBA.
If you don't like all the songs that's fine but to throw up such an outlandish comparison like that is not only a total slur on your integrity but also a dereliction of duty as a so called "metal critic"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:22 am

>Not at all. The exact opposite of your thought is true. I do not take a all or nothing approach,

Well, you did write “You can like bits and pieces and when added up they may be greater than what you dislike about something.” It just seems like you were using a slide - rule or something before you decide whether you like something or not. It just seemed a rather cerebral approach, but if that works for you, that's fine.

>or as I believe you put it "you either like it or you don't". Now that would be restrictive.

No, I wasn’t accusing you of that. My point is that one shouldn’t have to think too hard about whether he or she likes a piece of music or not.

>You can like bits and pieces that when combined are greater than your dislike for something, thus allowing you a greater opportunity to hear different forms of music and appreciate them on their own merrits.

Again, that is a lot of thinking for what is mainly meant to be just entertainment.

> There are certainly enough articles posted here that cover that topic, especially concerning the new release and if you go to the Album section or People section on this board there are many more listings of it.

Yes and we know how much people use the resources on this site!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 am

This may get my award for the worst review;

http://genericflow.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... mare-2011/

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:54 am

Gunner wrote:This may get my award for the worst review;

It gets mine

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 am

Miller wrote:
Gunner wrote:This may get my award for the worst review;

It gets mine

Ditto.
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:14 pm

the idiot disses alice for using the "steven" piano part on "I am made of you" and then praises "the nightmare returns" for,you guessed it,the "eerie piano part"!! okay. AND he thinks "sgt. pepper" had a common theme throughout! lennon himself said that after the first two tracks it goes nowhere and the tracks could have been on any other album!
that's as far as I let this one take up my time.some people just don't get genius!

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:51 pm

"My point is that one should'nt have to think too hard about wheather he likes a piece of music or not".

Good observation. So why all the questions ?? Maybe you should take your own advice. That's not a slam but a point of fact. Music is subjective. My favorites may not be others favorites. So what ? You can like something and still feel it might have been better if done a little differently. What is done in the studio or on the stage is up to the people involved. That does not mean you can't have a opinion on the matter. Sometimes everything seems to work on a release. But then again, that would be a opinion too.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

>Good observation. So why all the questions ??

Because you appeared to have very strict rules about whether you allow yourself to like something or not.

>Maybe you should take your own advice. That's not a slam but a point of fact.

“Maybe you should” stop being defensive. “That's not a slam but a point of fact.”

>My favorites may not be others favorites.

That wasn’t my point, as I think I already explained. It isn’t that much different to if someone said “I hate this album because it’s too diverse” but with another album they’ll say, “I love this album because it’s so diverse”. You started by saying “I just got it yesterday and I think it's fantastic.” However, you also said “I also dislike heavily produced albums and this album is heavily produced”, so in this instance the amount of production doesn’t seem relevant because irrespective of that, you do like this album (which is all that matters). All I was doing was pointing out that too many people impose rules on themselves as to what they can and can’t listen to and that’s what you seemed to be saying in your original post. That’s why I said you seemed to ‘write – off’ quite a few albums. Also, look at the posts about a certain young lady who sings on the album as another example.

>You can like something and still feel it might have been better if done a little differently.

Of course and it can work the other way round as well.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:20 pm

> the idiot disses alice for using the "steven" piano part on "I am made of you" and then praises "the nightmare returns" for,you guessed it,the "eerie piano part"!! okay. AND he thinks "sgt. pepper" had a common theme throughout! lennon himself said that after the first two tracks it goes nowhere and the tracks could have been on any other album!
that's as far as I let this one take up my time.some people just don't get genius!

I think like so many other casual Alice fans, he was expecting a metal album. He wanted substance over style which clearly, Alice has still delivered. He just doesn't understand the concept or what Alice was trying to go for. It's a shame. He even spelt "Steven" wrong which really shows his knowledge on this. Oh well, theres always gonna be reviewers like that who won't understand the album's full concept...only based on their personal style of what they were expecting or what they ussually listen to from Alice's catalouge. Such a shame. 2 Each their own. :alice:

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 pm

I am really REALLY tired of young, pimply-faced kids writing these "reviews" when they have no perspective of the artist, Alice Cooper. I realize that they have a job to do, but their lack of research shows in every paragraph.

The best thing any of us can do is to write to these "critics" and tell them how wrong they are. Of course, citing facts and examples. They are entitled to their opinion, but not stupidity.

I told "METALCRITIC" how incorrect they were...they removed the ABBA comment immediately. But I am still in discussion about the "Cher" and "Rocky Horror Picture Show" comments....

Do your part to correct bad "journalism" if that term is even correct.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"