Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alices guitar skills nowadays?

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 am

steven_crayn wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:Yeah he played guitar on Eighteen at one of the Astoria gigs i was at. Probably the easiest song to play with only about 4 chords (Em, C, D and A).
5 chords actually but A isn't one of them it's an Am.

Em C D as you correctly said with Am and Bm the other two.

There is confusion sometimes as power chords can be used often omitting the 3rd creating an ambiguity to the harmonic nature of the chord being major or minor.
Further confusion is created by the harmonic series so you could hear a major 3rd in a two note A5 chord, but the underlying harmony on 18 if playing A5 & B5 are of minor chords.

An accurate transcription of the song appeared in Guitarist magazine issue 221 March 2002.
It's true, with power chords - they can be minor or major, so one way to determine which they are 'in effect' is by transcribing the melody to see what key it is in - or even play each with a clean guitar sound to see which is the harmonious one. This is one reason why I am a big fan of big keyboards in hard/heavy rock; you can back up the power chords with full clean chords (no distortion) and restore the harmony. You then get Power AND Harmony! For me, hard/heavy rock with keyboards (and I don't mean tinkley bits and the end of phrases - like Bon Jovi or something!) is a little like having cream with your coffee.

However, back to '18', I think the studio version has a much less distorted electric guitar than most modern live versions and you CAN pick out the correct chords.

However, back to the main thread topic; Alice is a frustrated guitarist in some ways.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:58 am

Although..yesterday night I saw on tv by coincidence Classic Albumes with Deep Purple/ Machine Head. They showed Jon Lord with his Hammond connected straight to a marshall amp and that did sound great! And that was no clean sound for sure.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Gunner wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:Yeah he played guitar on Eighteen at one of the Astoria gigs i was at. Probably the easiest song to play with only about 4 chords (Em, C, D and A).

There is confusion sometimes as power chords can be used often omitting the 3rd creating an ambiguity to the harmonic nature of the chord being major or minor.
Further confusion is created by the harmonic series so you could hear a major 3rd in a two note A5 chord, but the underlying harmony on 18 if playing A5 & B5 are of minor chords.

An accurate transcription of the song appeared in Guitarist magazine issue 221 March 2002.
It's true, with power chords - they can be minor or major, so one way to determine which they are 'in effect' is by transcribing the melody to see what key it is in - or even play each with a clean guitar sound to see which is the harmonious one. This is one reason why I am a big fan of big keyboards in hard/heavy rock; you can back up the power chords with full clean chords (no distortion) and restore the harmony. You then get Power AND Harmony! For me, hard/heavy rock with keyboards (and I don't mean tinkley bits and the end of phrases - like Bon Jovi or something!) is a little like having cream with your coffee.

However, back to '18', I think the studio version has a much less distorted electric guitar than most modern live versions and you CAN pick out the correct chords.

However, back to the main thread topic; Alice is a frustrated guitarist in some ways.
Keys are a simplistic way of looking at music as chords and notes that fall outside the basic diatonic structure confuse the untrained ear regardless of the instrumentation.
Ambiguity is part of music, you only have to listen to the blues when you hear a guitar player soloing against a major chord progression and the effect it has.
Take a 3 chord trick in the key of A which is thrown into ambiguity when the major 3rd of the A chord and key (C#) clashes with a lead guitarist utilising a minor 3rd (C) a dominant 7th (G) and a flat 5th (Eb) which fall outside of A major, but it works because it sounds good when you create musical tension and release and theoretically as the late great Leonard Bernstein stated in his 'What Is Jazz' lecture, musicians and singers are searching for a note that lies between called the quarter tone, found in some African and other musical forms.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:37 am

steven_crayn wrote:

That's exactly how Glen Buxton described it... :yawn:
Remember The Coop !!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:41 am

Didn't dig Alice playing guitar
Remember The Coop !!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Glen didn't need to describe it Tommy Stooge, he played on it.
It's for others to analyse it if they so wish to understand how it's put together and learn how to play it properly, not that anyone can truly replicate the magic of the ACG
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:37 pm

tommystooge wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:Glen didn't need to describe it Tommy Stooge, he played on it.
It's for others to analyse it if they so wish to understand how it's put together and learn how to play it properly, not that anyone can truly replicate the magic of the ACG
 :yawn:
such a childish response from someone who thinks he knows a lot but knows very little and as we have seen from your other posts eg you were embarrassed by seeing Steve Hunter on stage with Alice and this inside knowledge you claim you know about the ACG break up, your lack of credibility is making you look a bit silly.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Just ignore him Steven, i reckon tommystooge must be having a bad day or something cos he's needlessly attacking everyones comments on here.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 am

Keys are a simplistic way of looking at music as chords and notes that fall outside the basic diatonic structure confuse the untrained ear regardless of the instrumentation.
Ambiguity is part of music, you only have to listen to the blues when you hear a guitar player soloing against a major chord progression and the effect it has.
Take a 3 chord trick in the key of A which is thrown into ambiguity when the major 3rd of the A chord and key (C#) clashes with a lead guitarist utilising a minor 3rd (C) a dominant 7th (G) and a flat 5th (Eb) which fall outside of A major, but it works because it sounds good when you create musical tension and release and theoretically as the late great Leonard Bernstein stated in his 'What Is Jazz' lecture, musicians and singers are searching for a note that lies between called the quarter tone, found in some African and other musical forms.
If it sounds good then it's right!? It's not a good idea to get too mathematical with music but it does help to know the theory. Music, Maths and the Universe is all number anyway.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

and 12 is the magic number

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:40 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:Just ignore him Steven, i reckon tommystooge must be having a bad day or something cos he's needlessly attacking everyones comments on here.
Sorry, you got that wrong, everyone is needlessly attacking my comments...it's funny how peeps here can dish it but not take it...
Remember The Coop !!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 am

steven_crayn wrote:and 12 is the magic number
so is 666 :devil: :laugh:
Remember The Coop !!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 am

I was talking 'Pythagoras', but never mind.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 am

>everyone is needlessly attacking my comments

That's debatable.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 pm

what needless attacking of your comments is that Tommy stooge the ones about Steve Hunter or the supposed gagging order for the box set?

Funny how most people are laughing at you what have you got up your sleeve next?