Alice Cooper Group Live Album?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

MauriceEscargot
Trash
Trash

Re: Alice Cooper Group Live Album?

Post by MauriceEscargot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 pm

The ACG just weren't that great of a live band. I love them, but they were pretty much a very successful garage band, which necessitated the addition of additional musicians to carry off the music in a live setting. The boots I have of the School's Out tour are absolutely painful to listen to.

Alice is a limited vocalist and his vocals would've needed to be overdubbed in the studio, and let's face it: Alice is as much visual as he is musical (in a live setting) and I'm not certain that would've translated to a live album very well.

What's interesting about the "Big Apple Dreamin'" clip on YouTube is how much Alice talks to the audience. It's clear that he's having a good time on stage and is dropping the mean Alice bit. It's no wonder he dropped the mean Alice when he went solo. Even the WTMN-period Alice isn't all that mean. He's more of a demented man-child. Alice became more about being demented than being a killer.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:51 pm

[quote="MauriceEscargot"]The ACG just weren't that great of a live band. I love them, but they were pretty much a very successful garage band, which necessitated the addition of additional musicians to carry off the music in a live setting. The boots I have of the School's Out tour are absolutely painful to listen to.

Maybe the quality of your boots aren't that good.
Listen to the Killershow in the box and you must admit this is a killer.
What's wrong with adding some extra musicans on a tour. That's common for every group. If you want to put a great show for the fans you sometimes need some extra's.

Alice is a limited vocalist and his vocals would've needed to be overdubbed in the studio, and let's face it: Alice is as much visual as he is musical (in a live setting) and I'm not certain that would've translated to a live album very well.

I don't say Alice is the best vocalist but I think that in that period the alcohol etc. took a heavy toll on him

Now go hide yourself as I think there will be a lot of comments, haha :devil: :rock:

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Just a footnote re your observations Maurice re Alice talking to crowd in Big Apple Dreaming..the likely reason for this is that from memory on these shows they had to go ahead without their usual stage/equipment and therefore at times did a more stripped down show with less theatrics..

Re the vocal side of things I think when within his range Alice is a powerful and skilled rock vocalist..seen him live many times..can only remember once on Special Forces 82 when his voice was rough(in bad shape)..agree he is as much about visuals but to me voice good..I have heard tinny recordings of AC Group early on but then My Stars on the Good to See You DVD has some excellent playing..a bit better than a garage band I think..but its all about opinions and I am happy for you to own yours..
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:38 pm

>which necessitated the addition of additional musicians to carry off the music in a live setting

That's an exaggeration considering that only happened on one tour.

>Alice is a limited vocalist

Obviously not so "limited" that it would stop you naming yourself after a character he created.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:05 am

"Alice is a limited vocalist and his vocals would've needed to be overdubbed in the studio"

Others have replied to the group's live ability, I would also add the B$B live show as well. However, it is doubtful that almost any live album you have listened to did not have some overdubbing on it. That has long been a standard practice by all record companies. I always assumed this was common knowledge.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:56 am

MauriceEscargot wrote:but they were pretty much a very successful garage band,
Don't know about the rest of the band, but Alice would probably take it as a big compliment.

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 am

MauriceEscargot wrote:but they were pretty much a very successful garage band,

hey Maurice what is wrong being a garage band?

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:13 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>which necessitated the addition of additional musicians to carry off the music in a live setting

That's an exaggeration considering that only happened on one tour.

>Alice is a limited vocalist

Obviously not so "limited" that it would stop you naming yourself after a character he created.
Well, I agree with you Andy but also think that it is obvious that Alice isnt very wide in his vocal range, but actually his unique voice is the catch for me plus the many tones he can add... it is amazing.
I dont think there is another singer who could change his voice as Alice do.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:29 am

>Well, I agree with you Andy but also think that it is obvious that Alice isnt very wide in his vocal range,

Well for one thing, it doesn't really matter. Who says he should be? Also, anyone who thinks Alice's singing has not improved since 1986 is just not listening.

>but actually his unique voice is the catch for me plus the many tones he can add.

Exactly.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:26 am

MauriceEscargot wrote:The ACG just weren't that great of a live band. I love them, but they were pretty much a very successful garage band, which necessitated the addition of additional musicians to carry off the music in a live setting. The boots I have of the School's Out tour are absolutely painful to listen to.

What's interesting about the "Big Apple Dreamin'" clip on YouTube is how much Alice talks to the audience. It's clear that he's having a good time on stage and is dropping the mean Alice bit. It's no wonder he dropped the mean Alice when he went solo. Even the WTMN-period Alice isn't all that mean. He's more of a demented man-child. Alice became more about being demented than being a killer.
that's garbage listen to how great the band and Alice sound on Is It My Body Hollywood Bowl 72 it is awesome!

There is still plenty of mean in Alice solo, or have you missed the last 36 years!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:34 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:I really like the Montreux and Theatre Of Death cds.

And yeah, Fistful was really cool too. The worst has gotta be the 1977 live show
Yea.. I don't even own that one :hang:
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:36 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:The worst has gotta be the 1977 live show
The Alice Cooper Show isn't great, but it does boast the best (IMO) versions of "I Love The Dead" and "Go To Hell." I especially love the bass on both tracks....

Hunter

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 am

steven_crayn wrote:
MauriceEscargot wrote:The ACG just weren't that great of a live band. I love them, but they were pretty much a very successful garage band, which necessitated the addition of additional musicians to carry off the music in a live setting. The boots I have of the School's Out tour are absolutely painful to listen to.

that's garbage listen to how great the band and Alice sound on Is It My Body Hollywood Bowl 72 it is awesome!

There is still plenty of mean in Alice solo, or have you missed the last 36 years!
OMG, Steven here is a first, we are agreeing on something !!!! First off the original band played amazing, listen to all the early live stuff out there, they nail the songs no problem.

It always bothered me that the deal was Glen couldn't play so they brought in other musicians. The truth is Glen saw the writing on the wall, that the band was being squeezed out and was pissed off, apparently he was mad at Bob and Mike. It never made sense to me why he didn't play on BDB and MOL, when clearly he could play just fine, look at footage from the school's out tour, he's rocking the house AND on the BDB tour, Mick Mashbir didn't play on School's Out and Under my wheel's, so listen to the live versions from that tour, it's Glen wailing away...

What really should have happened is a live album should have come out after the BDB tour. There were always rumours back in the day that the band couldn't play very well, which is BS. That was a big thing back in the 70's, if you were a theatrical band, you couldn't play well, which is total BS. And years later finding ou that most of Kiss Alive was done in the studio was a heartbreaker, so what was to stop ACG from doing that in the early 70's?

3 Fav, double live lp's from the 70's- KISS Alive, best drum solo ever, Thin Lizzy, Live & Dangerous, Still In Love With You, a real heartbreaker and David Live...
Remember The Coop !!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:50 am

>It always bothered me that the deal was Glen couldn't play so they brought in other musicians.

That wasn't the only reason. A little research will reveal that the arrangements for the guitars on the tour necessitated an additional guitarist - it wasn't just about Glen's condition or anything.

>The truth is Glen saw the writing on the wall,

Did he tell you that?

>that the band was being squeezed out and was pissed off,

Did he tell you that?

>apparently he was mad at Bob and Mike.

I think it's more accurate to say (based on statements from the other band members) that Glen was indeed frustrated with the complications that came with their success. According to Dennis, Glen wuld have been happier being in a band that wasn't so successful and which didn't have to deal with the nonsense and the stress that comes with dealing with the music industry. The fame and the money didn't seem to bring him the freedom he wanted. I think that played a part in the band splitting up as well. By the way, without realising it, you have just stumbled on another reason for why the band ended. Do you ever think about read your posts before you actually post your comments? That's not a criticism. I'm just interested to know the answer.

>It never made sense to me why he didn't play on BDB

Again, some research will reveal that he became very ill at the end of 1972 when a lot of the album was recorded. This is also covered in the box - set documentary.

>and MOL, when clearly he could play just fine,

There's a very big clue in Bob Greene's book. Have you read it?

> Mick Mashbir didn't play on School's Out and Under my wheel's, so listen to the live versions from that tour, it's Glen wailing away...

That's correct. Again, more research will reveal that those songs (and "I'm Eighteen") were the only three songs the band could trust Glen with.

> There were always rumours back in the day that the band couldn't play very well, which is BS.

I agree.

> so what was to stop ACG from doing that in the early 70's?

I believe a show was recorded with a view to a live
album at the time, but I have no idea why the idea never came to fruition.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:00 pm

[quote="A_MichaelUK"]

I think it's more accurate to say (based on statements from the other band members) that Glen was indeed frustrated with the complications that came with their success. According to Dennis, Glen wuld have been happier being in a band that wasn't so successful and which didn't have to deal with the nonsense and the stress that comes with dealing with the music industry. The fame and the money didn't seem to bring him the freedom he wanted. I think that played a part in the band splitting up as well. By the way, without realising it, you have just stumbled on another reason for why the band ended. Do you ever think about read your posts before you actually post your comments? That's not a criticism. I'm just interested to know the answer.

>and MOL, when clearly he could play just fine,

There's a very big clue in Bob Greene's book. Have you read it?

> Mick Mashbir didn't play on School's Out and Under my wheel's, so listen to the live versions from that tour, it's Glen wailing away...

That's correct. Again, more research will reveal that those songs (and "I'm Eighteen") were the only three songs the band could trust Glen with.

Andy, Andy, Andy, what to do with you...do I need to say everything I know to justify my posts...first off my comment that he was pissed off, was in reference to what you spelled out in great detail, didn't want to rehash anything that had already been said here...and yes I have read Bob Greene's book many times...this forum needs to make up it's mind, is Bob's book truthful or BS. I am trying to sort out what was writtten and what was the truth. I know Glen was ill and was probably the start of the break up, but other things came into play, Greed for one...
Remember The Coop !!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:16 pm

.this forum needs to make up it's mind, is Bob's book truthful or BS.
It's both, as are most biographies. While there is certain things that are slanted to make a good read, the underlying reporting of the tour is probably reasonably accurate, it's just more the way the events are interpreted by the writer that is BS making things appear far worse then they probably really were.

In relation to this current thread I think Andy is refering at least partially to the passage describing how the band conducted themselves off stage when relaxing. If I recall (and I haven`t read it for a long time) Neal and Mike were partying, Dennis and Cindy would do their own thing together, Alice would be everywhere doing PR etc but Glen could be found in his room on his own, and it paints him as a lonely figure near the end of the bands life.
Thats what I recall anyway. Could be remembering it wrong.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:24 pm

>Andy, Andy, Andy, what to do with you...do I need to say everything I know to justify my posts...

Yes, you do, otherwise anybody could come here and post literally anything. Within the context of this board and this site, you are discussing some pretty important stuff, so it's better that you provide even a bit of evidence.

>first off my comment that he was pissed off,

I think "pissed off" is an exaggeration. I do think he was frustrated though.

>and yes I have read Bob Greene's book many times...

So then you will understand why Glen didn't play on the album in question, but you said that you don't understand.

>this forum needs to make up it's mind,

The "forum" isn't asking the question. I am.

>is Bob's book truthful or BS.

I think it's nearer to the truth than it is to fiction but I think it is very distorted, exagerrated and concentrates less on that which was positive and more on the negative issues that existed. That's the difference between you (and others on this forum) and I in that I understand subtlety and the many tiny variations that exist in any given situation, whereas you only see things in a very blinkered 'all or nothing' and 'black or white' way.

>I know Glen was ill and was probably the start of the break up, but other things came into play, Greed for one...

Obviously, you can anticipate my next question.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:25 pm

>Could be remembering it wrong.

No. That was pretty accurate.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 pm

>Could be remembering it wrong.

No. That was pretty accurate.
Could you be remembering it wrong though?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm

>Could you be remembering it wrong though?

No.