Im The Coolest

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Im The Coolest

Post by James1981 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:42 am

I know in this song that they asked Henry Winkler to sing it but he didnt want to be typecast. So it that Alice singing the song? I know he is great at doing different types of voices but this song just sounds toatally different?
Boomshanka

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: Im The Coolest

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 am

Yes, it was definitely Alice.
Me = Winning

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:05 am

Cool, thanks dude. I was pretty sure it was but just had a wee doubt in my mind as he sounds so different. I am always amazed at the range of differnt voices Alice can do.
Boomshanka

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 am

Alice has occassionally used this deeper, more resonate vocal on tracks. I'm thinking immediately of Desperado and Nothing's Free, so I am surprised that you should question whether it is him really.

Robert Gerard Hunt

Post by Robert Gerard Hunt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Gunner wrote:Alice has occassionally used this deeper, more resonate vocal on tracks. I'm thinking immediately of Desperado and Nothing's Free, so I am surprised that you should question whether it is him really.
Not so surprising to me. Alice's vocals on ITC are rather different than those on D or NF. More like the old man being interviewed on Dada, if that is indeed Alice as well.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Not so surprising to me. Alice's vocals on ITC are rather different than those on D or NF.
No they're not.
More like the old man being interviewed on Dada, if that is indeed Alice as well.
It all sounds like Alice to me, are you guys joking??

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26 pm

>No they're not.

The spoken passages are.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Love the bass groove on this song. I like this song almost in the same way I like Some Folks on WTMN. It's just different in a good way. IMO.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 pm

When I first got into Alice early 1970s my older brother told me Alice was great at mimicing other singers..no idea how he knew but has since been proved right..e.g. can do a good jagger,elvis etc..or sound like Neil Diamond or a bit like Lennon..not sure about high pitched singers..but a pretty elastic voice within medium to lower ranges IMO..off to listen to Ubangi(kidding)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am

>No they're not.

The spoken passages are.
Because they are SPOKEN. :bam: Besides, it sounds like Alice speaking!!!? And yes, the spoken bits DO sound like those on the Dada title track. It's all clearly Alice to me at least.

Alice Cooper has a VERY expressive vocal, but I can, at least, always tell it is him. Even when I first heard 'Clones' on the radio (not knowing who it was)....this is the main reason I like him to be perfectly honest, it was NEVER the show as such (certainly not the gore), or even the music to some extent you may be surprised to discover. His voice has always been the main appeal for me - especially in the studio - it's fabulous.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 am

recoop wrote:When I first got into Alice early 1970s my older brother told me Alice was great at mimicing other singers..no idea how he knew but has since been proved right..e.g. can do a good jagger,elvis etc..or sound like Neil Diamond or a bit like Lennon..not sure about high pitched singers..but a pretty elastic voice within medium to lower ranges IMO..off to listen to Ubangi(kidding)
The " Black eyes all of the time ..." section on Only Women sounds like Neil Diamond so i'm with you brother on that one.
When I first heard Slick Black Limo it totally blew me away Alice with a touch of Elvis still sounds great and was glad he revisited that approach on Disgraceland, in fact would love to see Alice record an Elvis song but in his own style could see a tribute album from rocks finest selling quite well, 35th anniversary of his death next year.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 am

>Because they are SPOKEN.

It's still the same vocal device.

>Besides, it sounds like Alice speaking!!!?

Alice's impression of Jim Morrison sounds like Alice as well. That doesn't mean the spoken passages in "I Am The Coolest" are the same as sung passages in "Nothing's Free". I think Robert Gerrard Hunt is correct on this.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:54 am

that's so true about the Jim Morrison thing which was written as a sort of memorandum to him according to the interview Alice gave to Paul Gambaccini in 74
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 pm

> Not so surprising to me. Alice's vocals on ITC are rather different than those on D or NF.
>>No they're not.
>>>The spoken passages are.
>>>>Because they are SPOKEN.
>>>>>It's still the same vocal device.

Weren't we talking about the singing of certain songs and how they all sound like (or not in some people's case) Alice?

>>>>>>Besides, it sounds like Alice speaking!!!?
>>>>>>>Alice's impression of Jim Morrison sounds like Alice as well.
Yes, and, the point is?

>>>>>>>>That doesn't mean the spoken passages in "I Am The Coolest" are the same as sung passages in "Nothing's Free".

That doesn't make sense in the context of this discussion.

The vocals on Desperado, Nothing's Free and ITC all sound like Alice Cooper, whether he is using different 'textures' and 'colours' in his voice or not, and I'm quite surprised that anyone would think otherwise.

>>>>>>>>>I think Robert Gerrard Hunt is correct on this.
Do you? Who's he? And of what value is that?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Gunner wrote: >>>>>>>>>I think Robert Gerrard Hunt is correct on this.
Do you? Who's he? And of what value is that?
He is the poster YOU replied to above.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Gunner wrote: The vocals on Desperado, Nothing's Free and ITC all sound like Alice Cooper, whether he is using different 'textures' and 'colours' in his voice or not, and I'm quite surprised that anyone would think otherwise.
You do realize that you're arguing over an OPINION, don't you?

There's is no right or wrong answer, if someone thinks it doesn't sound like Alice than that's their PERCEPTION.

And please learn to properly use the quote function.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 pm

>Weren't we talking about the singing of certain songs and how they all sound like (or not in some people's case) Alice?

Not necessarily. James1981 brought up “I Am The Coolest” and I brought up the fact that the spoken parts aren’t the same as the songs you mentioned.

>Yes, and, the point is?

“The point” is, that doesn’t makes the vocal in “I Am The Coolest” the same as the vocal in “Desperado” – they’re quite different. One is gruff and sounds to me like an old black man (almost like a jazz or soul singer), the other is an attempt to sound like Jim Morrison (who wasn’t an old black man, as I assume you know)

>That doesn't make sense in the context of this discussion.

Why did you mention those songs then?!

>The vocals on Desperado, Nothing's Free and ITC all sound like Alice Cooper, whether he is using different 'textures' and 'colours' in his voice or not, and I'm quite surprised that anyone would think otherwise.

You’re getting confused. I didn’t say they didn’t. I said the vocals are different (you think they’re not) but that they still sound like Alice either way.

>Do you? Who's he?

The person who’s post you replied to.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 pm

You do realize that you're arguing over an OPINION, don't you?
Yes, where in the posts does it suggest otherwise? And it's not an argument.
There's is no right or wrong answer, if someone thinks it doesn't sound like Alice than that's their PERCEPTION.
That's true, we are discussing that.
And please learn to properly use the quote function.
It's not a matter of learning, I write software for a living. I choose to quote sections within a post. Why does that trouble you?? IF you are referring to the linear flow of comments with preceding arrows, that was to show comments in context as 99% of the time, people here take them out of context and distort what people have said for the sake of an argument. And, don't be so rude!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Andy, life is too short to respond to that, with all due respect. What I will say is that the vocal in 'I'm the Coolest' sounds like Alice Cooper to me, and it is based on other songs he has sung and the way he talks.

>Do you? Who's he?
The person who’s post you replied to.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Gunner wrote: I choose to quote sections within a post. Why does that trouble you??
It's often very hard to read.
Gunner wrote:It's not a matter of learning, I write software for a living.
Congratulations, so do I, but you won't catch me posting with hungarian notation.
Gunner wrote: IF you are referring to the linear flow of comments with preceding arrows, that was to show comments in context as 99% of the time, people here take them out of context and distort what people have said for the sake of an argument.
It's unnecessary as it doesn't make them any more easy to follow if you must know and most people are capable of following along without the need to resort to that. It'd be much more helpful to know who you're quoting rather than reiterating the entire conversation.

Seriously, half the time I read your posts, I can't be sure who said what with your mess of quoting (see preceding post as exhibit #1).

Gunner wrote: And, don't be so rude!
You're way too sensitive. I said 'please'.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."