Alice Cooper - Rock´s finest and most underrated group!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Alice Cooper - Rock´s finest and most underrated group!

Post by DIMMA » Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Here´s a very interesting article:

http://www.guitarworld.com/original-ali ... ated-group

I couldn´t agree more with the writer. The original Alice Cooper Group is criminally underrated, not only by the media and the general public but unfortunately by many Alice Cooper fans as well.

Ingo

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper - Rock´s finest and most underrated group!

Post by pitkin88 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:04 am

100% agree. There is an edge there that is just not there with Alice's back up bands. I am sorry that there was no tour forthcoming but I am very greatful that they all got to play together and record again. Fingers X'd we will see more shows.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri May 27, 2011 2:56 am

Very good article.

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Fri May 27, 2011 3:52 am

For those who are interested; If you scroll down the page (just below the interview) you can find my comments on the original Alice Cooper band and the article.

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Fri May 27, 2011 4:08 am

This is obviously biased coming from me but, one of the best bands of all time, all the way around, musically, theatrically, visual/image. The coolest!
"Same as always, different as ever"

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Fri May 27, 2011 4:40 am

Thumbs up to THE original Alice Cooper band...both the then and the now versions.

[[However, I was told that I am being stupid supporting the original band. As one sickthings poster told me about my opinion...."I know you have a strong PRO ACG stance,it is unnecessary and a bit childish")...and that I shouldn't support them just because I knew Glen. One odd duck, that boy!.]]

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri May 27, 2011 10:50 am

GDNM, move on mate, don't take things too personally and get over a difference of opinion. For your information, the Alice Cooper Group (as people like to call them), was, for me, the greatest and most exciting outfit in rock I can think of - certainly for the time. My point was/is that what Alice did since then has been overlooked and too much emphasis is placed on the original band. I certainly think this from a RRHOF perspective, as I do for Iggy Pop as well incidentally. How they could have addressed that I know not, but the issue remains. Very few on planet earth, but the diehards, acknowledge Alice Cooper as a band, and it makes the ceremony a little bit embaressing in some respects. Of course they are highly relevant, but to shout band band band band band indicated some sort of shoulder chip in my opinion and others.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:05 am

Gunner wrote: but to shout band band band band band indicated some sort of shoulder chip in my opinion and others.
Not mine.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 pm

>Very few on planet earth, but the diehards, acknowledge Alice Cooper as a band

I think the above statement is contradicted by your earlier statement:
"My point was/is that what Alice did since then has been overlooked and too much emphasis is placed on the original band."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri May 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Gunner wrote:Very few on planet earth, but the diehards, acknowledge Alice Cooper as a band, and it makes the ceremony a little bit embaressing in some respects.
I'm sorry you're embarrassed.

It almost sounds to me that you wish Alice Cooper wasn't inducted at all if it couldn't be just Alice.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Fri May 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Gunner wrote: "For your information, the Alice Cooper Group (as people like to call them), was, for me, the greatest and most exciting outfit in rock I can think of - certainly for the time. My point was/is that what Alice did since then has been overlooked and too much emphasis is placed on the original band."

Gunner, I am glad to know you consider the original Alice Cooper band "the greatest and most exciting outfit in rock". I certainly agree with you on that point and applaud you for your good taste.
Knowing that, I do however find it hard to understand (as do others on this board) that you find it unfair that the Rock´n´Roll Hall of Fame would acknowledge that Alice (as brilliant as he is) was not alone in creating the theatrics and brilliant music that made Alice Cooper a musical and cultural phenomenon in the first place and finally give Dennis, Glen, Neal and Mike the recognition and credit they deserve.
What these FIVE individuals created with their string of classic albums and tours changed the face of rock´n´roll forever and Alice himself acknowledged that when he said in a recent interview: "The original band was cutting edge. It was the original band that had all the iconic records from "Love it to Death’ on to ‘Billion Dollar Babies’ and ‘Muscle of Love.’ What I did after that was an aftermath. The original band were the guys that had to cut through that big, thick ice in order to become an entity out there. I can’t see how I could just go up there as an individual."

There you have it, straight from Alice himself.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Fri May 27, 2011 3:08 pm

but to shout band band band band band indicated some sort of shoulder chip in my opinion and others.
Yes, I know. You told me that you have been PMed by others who say I am being childish and that they agree with you but just don't want to step forward and say so.

If you could point me to the rule, for the Sickthings forum, that says I cannot support the "ACG", I will immediately cease mentioning them in any post I make. If not - I will merrily continue my unnecessary and childish ways.
:laugh:

PS...shoulder is fine - no chips.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri May 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Really liked the article..was listening to Greatest Hits today..one things stands out to me is all the individual bits of playing..basslines,short drum solos, twiddly bits of guitar..with space left for Alices great voice..maybe the original band allowed everyone to have there own major feature/solo etc..the solo stuff for me is more produced as a complete package with less virtuoso bits and pieces..all still good...
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Fri May 27, 2011 9:24 pm

" I will merrily continue my unnecessary and childish ways".

GNDM - Please carry on, :) as I have said before, without the original group, we would not be here,on this forum,now.
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Sun May 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. It's kind of silly to argue over them.

I had been of the opinion that Alice was smart to play with younger muscians, so it didn't look like a bunch of old farts playing on stage. But DARN the original group sounded so good again. And I would LOVE to see them tour together again. Love It To Death!!!
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon May 30, 2011 7:58 am

Well said Nim re accepting different opinions. Re using younger musicians-maybe its easier to run a band if one more experienced member is in charge rather than a democracy...and the older guys may suffer the effects of touring more(although the youngsters might party harder I guess)..in Alice's case he is the exception in that he keeps fit...I think the original group are vastly underrated and would love to see them live in the UK (missed them first time around)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Billion Dollar Babies from the Jagermeister Ice Cold Event is now up on .wwwalicecooper.com, where you can hear the complete track.
Alice and the original band sound PHENOMENAL on this recording.
I know I´m biased but I honestly think the original guys are playing as well now as ever. After all they are the originals and still the best!

Still miss GB though, there will never be another like him.

Ingo

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:30 am

DIMMA wrote:Billion Dollar Babies from the Jagermeister Ice Cold Event is now up on .wwwalicecooper.com, where you can hear the complete track.
Alice and the original band sound PHENOMENAL on this recording.
I know I´m biased but I honestly think the original guys are playing as well now as ever. After all they are the originals and still the best!

Still miss GB though, there will never be another like him.

Ingo

I agree, I just finished listening to those tracks on Alice's site. Sounds excellent. Wish Glen's distinctive guitar was in there. But they sounded as tight as they ever have.

Of the five tracks, my favorite was "I'm Eighteen" from St.Louis. What a sound! The best part is there's a whole show! Very cool!
"Same as always, different as ever"

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 pm

:rock: ACG was a force to be recconed with !
So happy I got the chance to enjoy them :clap:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:45 pm

It seems to me that some of you (if not all), may be misunderstanding my comments.

Number one, for someone here to give themself the user name of GlenNeilDennisMike suggests some sort of animosity to Alice, and indicates 'an issue' shall we say - that's BEFORE we start, no matter what anyone says. I, personally have no issues, the only one possibly being that GNDM could be Neal Smith, so close are their views.

Secondly, to this day, Alice Cooper sounds better with the original band - period.

Anyway, back to the heart of the issue (and let's see if we can all grasp this); Alice Cooper is known as 'a man' to 99% of planet earth, the concept started as a group and evolved into a solo artist (the one 99% of planet earth regognise) with Nightmare etc. The Hall of Fame should have been looking at inducting 'Alice Cooper' from 1971 (or whenever) to NOW!! IF the band are there, GREAT!! If they play at the ceremony - GREAT! IF they play on his new album - GREAT!!! Neal, Mike and Dennis sound excellent, and sound like 'Alice Cooper' more than other musicians. But you see, to induct just the original band is to pretty much disregard the 'solo' work and that is ludicrous as most people would immediately think of Only Women, Poison, Welcome to my Nightmare when you mention the very name of Alice Cooper, but it seems these songs would have been 'inappropriate' at the ceremony, and that is absurd! The fact that Glen's decorator GNDM (Alice Cooper without their singer???????????????) keeps perpetuating this topic (which I had dropped) suggests a certain 'discomfort'. As for the wonderful human being that is Alice, he is too nice and modest for his own good imo, but as a Christian he won't care as that is what they do. God bless him, but please understand.