Alice Cooper - Rock´s finest and most underrated group!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper - Rock´s finest and most underrated group!

Post by Gunner » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:19 pm

..and, let me just add; NO, Alice Cooper would NOT have existed without Glen, Neal, Dennis and Michael, but it would not have without Bob Ezrin, Shep, The GTOs and Zappa. It isn't the point, you would not exist if it were not for your parents, that's not the point. The point is, Alice Cooper is an artistic entity. I don't CARE what the criteria or the procedure of the RRHOF is (it's not as if they aren't not damn shameful in all this in the first place! some of you may have short memories of the farce that it is). Their criteria is not 'Gospel', Alice Cooper should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame - original band and all!!!! Please don't quote 'the damn rules'! Anyway Alice Cooper is in there at last and that is the main thing, but please don't tell me that many many many don't raise their eyebrows at the over-exaggerated status of the original line-up in this case because they do outside this forum. I am happy with it, but I do think as well. Case closed as far as I am concerned now. Thank you.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:34 am

Gunner wrote:please don't tell me that many many many don't raise their eyebrows at the over-exaggerated status of the original line-up in this case because they do outside this forum.
Ignorance is bliss.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:22 am

Gunner wrote: ...most people would immediately think of Only Women, Poison, Welcome to my Nightmare when you mention the very name of Alice Cooper...

What makes you think 'most people' would immediately think of solo-Alice songs only when the name AC is mentioned?

Ted

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:56 am

Gunner...I don't want to argue with you. Mainly because I can't figure out what your "angle" is? Perhaps a dislike of things before your time...I really don't have a clue. You prefer solo Alice...I get it. But you seem a slight bit antagonistic towards the original band members...kind of hinting that they are merely "hanger-on-ers".

That being the case, I guess the only way we can end this "disagreement", in my favor of course, is the old fashioned way. If we ever meet - I'll introduce my fist to your teeth (OLD SCHOOL ALICE COOPER STYLE) and then we will sort it out from there. OK?
Decorator? LMAO If you knew Janice, Glen, and Ken....they never would use them. They all have the same "unique" decorating style of their own. (THAT will get me in trouble if she reads this) :smack:
As William Cutting said: I'll festoon my bedchamber with your guts. :laugh:

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:31 am

:smack: :yawn:

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 am

Ted Sallis wrote:Gunner wrote: ...most people would immediately think of Only Women, Poison, Welcome to my Nightmare when you mention the very name of Alice Cooper...

What makes you think 'most people' would immediately think of solo-Alice songs only when the name AC is mentioned?

Ted
Especially when, in the case of U.S. radio, it's the band stuff that gets a huge majority of the airplay. As I write this, on Yes.com, the last few dozen radio entries were all the typical "School's Out," "No More Mr. Nice Guy," etc.

Rather funny, I was watching "The Simpsons" tonight on FOX, it was a rerun from earlier this season, they played a snippet of the "Alice Does Alice" version of "No More Mr. Nice Guy."
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 am

I'm sorry, as I looked, there was one whole entry for "How You Gonna See Me Now" from WODS.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:03 am

Gunner wrote:Their criteria is not 'Gospel', Alice Cooper should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame - original band and all!!!! Please don't quote 'the damn rules'!
Then what rules should they go by for their own organization?
Me = Winning

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:11 am

WickedYoungMan wrote: Especially when, in the case of U.S. radio, it's the band stuff that gets a huge majority of the airplay. As I write this, on Yes.com, the last few dozen radio entries were all the typical "School's Out," "No More Mr. Nice Guy," etc.
Yes, this point has been made repeatedly in the course of this ongoing argument.

The songs that get airplay on my local classic rock station are:

Eighteen
No More Mr. Nice Guy
School's Out
Be My Lover
Under My Wheels
Billion Dollar Babies (occasionally)
Welcome To My Nightmare (rarely)
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:22 am

And "Only Women Bleed" virtually never. Thus why I'm not sure why people would know "Only Women Bleed" over the band stuff.
Me = Winning

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Gunner wrote:..and, let me just add; NO, Alice Cooper would NOT have existed without Glen, Neal, Dennis and Michael, but it would not have without Bob Ezrin, Shep, The GTOs and Zappa.
Gunner - that makes no sense really. without those four (and Alice)THOSE people would not exist in the same plane of existence either. Circular logic?

Gunner,
The RnRHOF inducted a BAND. That is what they do. They are not in the "entity" business. It is as simple as that. Fortunately for you, fans of the HOF and the museum can select whatever memories and feelings they have about the band(s)that use the Alice Cooper name. So, in the minds of many fans like you, Alice can be an entity. The physical world (HOF induction ceremony and the museum)decided to deal with only the original band...a decision you don't agree with. Alice, himself, said that is the way it should be. So (perhaps?) you should direct your ire towards him...instead of the original band.

I understand where you care coming from....I just don't understand the angle at which you approach your view. I see a dislike for the other four people in the original band, even though you enjoy their music. It seems, IMO, that you feel that they are "not worthy" of being associated with either the man Alice Cooper, or the entity you have created in your mind.

BTW....my name shows no disrespect for Alice. Just as people use names of albums, songs, or song phrases as their name...I use the "names/initials" of a part of Alice Cooper that I find interesting.

I apologize for the threat of violence earlier...but I don't remove it.

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm

My scientific survey of "Name an Alice Cooper song" yielded these results:

18 - don't know a song or don't know who Alice is
4 - School's Out
3 - Poison
2 - I'm Eighteen
1 - Billion Dollar Babies
1 - No More Mr. Nice Guy
1 - Feed My Frankenstein

ages ranged from late teens to 60's. Younger ages tended not to know him or answered Poison.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

ginnie
Trash
Trash

Post by ginnie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:48 am

Wow.

To me, "Alice Cooper" really means the original band. That's who wrote the best songs, had the best musicians and the best live act. As a musician, I find their music and playing fantastic. Each member was a superb and inventive player.
I guess younger folks would like the solo stuff better - which makes me wonder if they heard the early ACG albums which are superior. But as mentioned before, most Alice Cooper music played on the radio is early material, so I wonder how anybody would not be aware of the original group except out of ignorance.

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 am

Well I would guess most younger people don't listen to the radio stations that play classic rock. So they are not hearing it.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Speaking for younger people, when I got tickets to my first show my classmates at college all went Alice who? Before hearing WTMN (which started the craze for me) I had only heard School's Out so naturally I said you know, School's Out. They still looked blank so I said the original Poison?! And they all went oh, he's called Alice?! And then I'm ashamed to say some of them said the dance remix atrocity thing is much better ::((:

So in sum most young people have no taste :laugh:
Flesh fanatic psychopath

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 pm

I think a lot of what you like depends on when you grew up. For a lot of you guys on here you were probably there in the 70s and remember Alice first time round and have great memories that you associate with his music. Im 29 years old. Dont get me wrong i love the original group and think that the albums they did are superior. However when i was growing up it was Trash through to brutal planet that were linked to my childhood, teenage years, drunken nights, first love etc and for that reason those albums will always hold a special place in my heart.
Boomshanka

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 pm

I 1st heard of Alice Cooper in 1978-'79 but didn't get my 1st AC album ' AC's Greatest Hits' until X-Mas, 1982. By that time I'd heard 'Clones', all of WTMN (my younger brother had it), 'How You Gonna See Me Now' and a few other Alice-solo songs. I've never liked or owned anything by Alice other than the ACG output (unless you include 'The Life & Crimes... box set).

Ted

Sarah
Killer
Killer

Post by Sarah » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 pm

ginnie wrote:I guess younger folks would like the solo stuff better - which makes me wonder if they heard the early ACG albums which are superior. But as mentioned before, most Alice Cooper music played on the radio is early material, so I wonder how anybody would not be aware of the original group except out of ignorance.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think age is everything to do with it. I'm a younger fan myself, and while I do also love Alice's solo stuff, I definitely appreciate and recognise the greatness of the band and those early albums. Any other younger Alice Cooper fans I've spoken to feel the same. I think that when someone starts getting into and discovering the music, they can't help but find out about the original band. I've met plenty of older people who had no idea that Alice Cooper was a band (my parents didn't know). So I think it's mainly people who aren't fans as such, no matter how old or young they are. Anyone who's got the albums must know, regardless of age.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Never placed that much distinction between Alice solo & band... Whilst there are obvious & subtle differences, the charisma of Alice is always constant and there is both great and bad material both sides of the divide. Just always enjoyed what's good irrelevant of the stage of their career.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 am

I got into Alice in the mid seventies as a kid. I knew he had a band because of the Greatest Hits album cover which was the only album I had for a long time. But I didn't realize the magic of that band until I was in my early teens in the early 80's. I started playing the guitar and my teacher let me borrow all the original albums. Pretties for You thru Muscle Of Love. The band Alice Cooper quickly became my favorite band ever. Ever since then it was easy for me to distinguish between Alice Cooper the band and Alice Cooper the solo artist. His solo stuff can be hit or miss for me even though WTMN is a masterpiece in my opinion. Watching the Revolver Golden Gods shows how great Neal Smith and Dennis Dunaway are together. It's just a different pocket with them in the band. It immediately sounded different than any of Alice's solo bands. It sounded like Alice Cooper. I hope they do more together in the future. Especially near NJ/NYC so I don't have to travel far to see them. I could just imagine how cool it would have been if G.B. were still alive.