ACAS- your view now?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Gunner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 pm

>I remember Andy Michael saying on here that Alice told him personally something to the effect that Alice believed in the album.

He did say that and I still think he's wrong!
Alice is wrong in saying that he believes in that album??

That doesn't make sense! It just doesn't make sense!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:44 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:The trouble is Steven, i have given reasons for why i believe the production, playing and lyrics to be 'crap' but you just don't want to hear them.

I respect the fact that you feel differently and i'm glad that you and others like it, but that doesn't make mine or anyone-elses opinion invalid.
what reasons have you given? you have just thrown around lazy adjectives.

You lambasted Wake The Dead for lyrical repetition on the chorus when this argument first arose when the album came out, yet no one was saying the same thing about the repetitive yet fantastic chorus for I Love The Dead 35 years earlier.

You said having Slash and Ozzy on the album added no weight to it. What one of the best rock guitarists on the planet? If anything I would have liked to have heard him on every track. Ozzy's contribution is distinctive even if minimal so still adds weight to the album.

You said the production was crap, not that Greg Hampton and Danny Saber will be losing any sleep about your opinion.

As for respect I think we know the truth on that one so don't try and pretend you have any for me as the animosity is mutual.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:The trouble is Steven, i have given reasons for why i believe the production, playing and lyrics to be 'crap' but you just don't want to hear them.

I respect the fact that you feel differently and i'm glad that you and others like it, but that doesn't make mine or anyone-elses opinion invalid.

You lambasted Wake The Dead for lyrical repetition on the chorus when this argument first arose when the album came out, yet no one was saying the same thing about the repetitive yet fantastic chorus for I Love The Dead 35 years earlier.

You said having Slash and Ozzy on the album added no weight to it. What one of the best rock guitarists on the planet? If anything I would have liked to have heard him on every track. Ozzy's contribution is distinctive even if minimal so still adds weight to the album.

You said the production was crap, not that Greg Hampton and Danny Saber will be losing any sleep about your opinion.

As for respect I think we know the truth on that one so don't try and pretend you have any for me as the animosity is mutual.
I gave a pretty comprehensive run-down of what i thought about the album when it first came out and i really can't be bothered to repeat myself. At the end of the day, you think this is his best record for 30 years and i think the exact opposite so there's really no middle-ground to share!

And don't flatter yourself, i have no animosity towards you, i have much more important things in life to worry about and to dedicate my emotions to.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 pm

steven_crayn wrote: I remember Andy Michael saying on here that Alice told him personally something to the effect that Alice believed in the album.
And he may have at one time. People change their minds all the time too.

That said, actions speak louder than words, and if Alice felt that he truly had a great new album on his hands than barely performing any of it live makes little sense to me.

Makes one wonder if Alice, management, or both came to the conclusion that either the album itself or the reception to it weren't strong enough to warrant featuring much of it in the live show.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm

>Alice is wrong in saying that he believes in that album??

It's a question of personal taste. He likes the album more than I do. I don't have to like *everything* he does.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:38 pm

You can't be wrong in saying what you believe. You may think his belief is wrong, that's very different.
I don't have to like *everything* he does.
You certainly do not Andy!!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:44 pm

>You can't be wrong in saying what you believe. You may think his belief is wrong, that's very different.

It's a figure of speech, but you missed it.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 am

No, Andy's right in this case.
Me = Winning

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

WE

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:11 am

I know there is a big difference between lyrics and poetry. Most of the poetry wouldn't work when translated into music. The lines on a song lyrics have to fit in a melody for example. My point wasn't, "I know these lyrics are weak because I'm the greatest rock lyricist of all time". I didn't claim to be anything like that.

My point was I can tell these lyrics are weak because I'm familiar with the whole Alice studio discography and most of the lyrics and also with poetry and other artists' lyrics. I don't question Alice's talent as a lyric writer. I just opined that I especially disliked that aspect of ACAS. Even geniouses don't always reach the top quality. He has created countless interesting characters and stories during his career.

From his more recent works The last temptation and Brutal planet were lyrically excellent and like I stated I truly loved those extra verses he added to Devil's food on the last tour.

My opinion would be almost weightless if I had very little knowledge of Alice's other lyrics or if I had only three Alice albums or just didn't have any interets in this aspect of music. But that isn't the case.

Are you saying a passionate movie collector isn't allowed to criticize a movie if he/she doesn't have any experience of directing movies? Is amateur's opinion always worthless? Am I unqualified to judge Shakespeare's sonets because I haven't published a book yet? I am glad you enjoy the album more than I do. We are both entitled to our opinions so let's bury the axe.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: WE

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 am

The son of Don Quijote wrote:I know there is a big difference between lyrics and poetry. Most of the poetry wouldn't work when translated into music. The lines on a song lyrics have to fit in a melody for example. My point wasn't, "I know these lyrics are weak because I'm the greatest rock lyricist of all time". I didn't claim to be anything like that.

My point was I can tell these lyrics are weak because I'm familiar with the whole Alice studio discography and most of the lyrics and also with poetry and other artists' lyrics. I don't question Alice's talent as a lyric writer. I just opined that I especially disliked that aspect of ACAS. Even geniouses don't always reach the top quality. He has created countless interesting characters and stories during his career.

From his more recent works The last temptation and Brutal planet were lyrically excellent and like I stated I truly loved those extra verses he added to Devil's food on the last tour.

My opinion would be almost weightless if I had very little knowledge of Alice's other lyrics or if I had only three Alice albums or just didn't have any interets in this aspect of music. But that isn't the case.

Are you saying a passionate movie collector isn't allowed to criticize a movie if he/she doesn't have any experience of directing movies? Is amateur's opinion always worthless? Am I unqualified to judge Shakespeare's sonets because I haven't published a book yet? I am glad you enjoy the album more than I do. We are both entitled to our opinions so let's bury the axe.
You are fully entitled to have an opinion on the lyrics, it's just Steven thinks his opinion is more valid than yours based on his outstanding music career.

I'm not a good cook, but i know when food tastes bad.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:34 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:

I gave a pretty comprehensive run-down of what i thought about the album when it first came out and i really can't be bothered to repeat myself. At the end of the day, you think this is his best record for 30 years and i think the exact opposite so there's really no middle-ground to share!

And don't flatter yourself, i have no animosity towards you, i have much more important things in life to worry about and to dedicate my emotions to.
Once again you only read into things what you want to see.

I said the album rocked harder than Last Temptation I didn't say it was better than that or Hey Stoopid or Raise Your Fist which were all albums I prefer to ACAS, but I do think it was one of Alice's better albums since his last classic which for me was From The Inside and certainly better the Dirty Diamonds which I was not keen on even though as with any Alice album their are always some great songs.

Flatter myself? lets tell it like it is, the number of arguments we have had on here it is pretty clear so don't try and play the nice guy.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
The son of Don Quijote wrote:I know there is a big difference between lyrics and poetry. Most of the poetry wouldn't work when translated into music. The lines on a song lyrics have to fit in a melody for example. My point wasn't, "I know these lyrics are weak because I'm the greatest rock lyricist of all time". I didn't claim to be anything like that.

You are fully entitled to have an opinion on the lyrics, it's just Steven thinks his opinion is more valid than yours based on his outstanding music career.

I'm not a good cook, but i know when food tastes bad.
I've never said my opinion is more valid once again you are reading into things what you want to see to try and suit your flawed argument.

And while you are talking about outstanding music careers what have you ever done?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 pm

steven_crayn wrote: I said the album rocked harder than Last Temptation I didn't say it was better than that or Hey Stoopid or Raise Your Fist which were all albums I prefer to ACAS, but I do think it was one of Alice's better albums since his last classic which for me was From The Inside and certainly better the Dirty Diamonds which I was not keen on even though as with any Alice album their are always some great songs.
Actually, you did say that it was his best album for 30 years.... i have a pretty good memory. I'm sure the comment is still on this forum too if you look back.
steven_crayn wrote: Flatter myself? lets tell it like it is, the number of arguments we have had on here it is pretty clear so don't try and play the nice guy.
That doesn't mean i harbour any animosity towards you though. I'm not a hateful person and don't feel animosity towards anyone as it's such a negative emotion.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 pm

steven_crayn wrote: And while you are talking about outstanding music careers what have you ever done?
If i thought for one second that you were genuinely interested in hearing about my music career i would tell you.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Is it necessary to argue ad nauseam over our OPINIONS of an album?!?

Nobody is going to change anybody's mind.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:08 pm

It's a discussion forum, it seems inevitable that the 'human animal' has often not the ability to discuss without resorting to rudeness often due to prejudice, fixed views and, well, an inability to reason.

It needs to be controlled to a level of course, however, at this site the control level is is so tight that it 'nips it in the bud' prematurely and no real debate ia allowed to blossom, which is unfortunate. Posts are deleted and the response of 'go somewhere else' are considered to be the solution.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:52 pm

It's a silly argument. If you don't like an album, you don't like it.

Nothing wrong with discussion, but 7 pages of two guys trying to prove each others opinion wrong is a bit much.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Gunner wrote:
It's a discussion forum, it seems inevitable that the 'human animal' has often not the ability to discuss without resorting to rudeness often due to prejudice, fixed views and, well, an inability to reason.

It needs to be controlled to a level of course, however, at this site the control level is is so tight that it 'nips it in the bud' prematurely and no real debate ia allowed to blossom, which is unfortunate. Posts are deleted and the response of 'go somewhere else' are considered to be the solution.
Posts are only deleted if members break board rules. When debate turns to argument and people resort to flaming which is against said rules then what do you expect. A lot of hard work goes into the running of this site, if you don't like it then please do 'go somewhere else'.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 pm

I like it okay. I loved all the attention it got and perfect timing with this fantastic year the group is having.
But I actually choose only about half the song to listen too. I felt it was rushed as many are. With all the hoopflaaa...I wanted more .
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Is it necessary to argue ad nauseam over our OPINIONS of an album?!?

Nobody is going to change anybody's mind.
I certainly don't want to change anybody's mind. I just don't appreciate having my views (and those of others) called absurd or moronic. I have always respected the opinions of others and am genuinely pleased that some people enjoy ACAS.

But i do agree that this particular 'debate' has become hugely boring for everyone so i will leave this one for now!

Bring on WTMN2!!