ACAS- your view now?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Billie1966 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 am

I have always said that "Salvation" kinda reminded me of Steven.. I think the cool thing about a new Alice Album is NOT knowing what to expect.. ACAS is actually one of my very favorite of his albums. I enjoy it as much as I do any of his albums. To me not as heavy as BB or DT but it wasn't meant to be. Whereas TEOAC and DD were meant to be totally garage rock.. And Accomplished that. I truly don't believe that ACAS is a "Throw Away" album.. There are some real shining moments on it. Just love Alice's vocal on "Killed By Love.. And I already mentioned "Salvation"
And can't you guy's hear just a hint of the melody of "Black Widow" from Vengeance Is Mine". Some of these songs sound like they could have come off of Welcome to My Nightmare".

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Billie1966 wrote:To me not as heavy as BB or DT but it wasn't meant to be.
I can get behind that line of thought. Perhaps ACAS was just a regular joe album not really meant to shake the foundations like the epic releases of the past. Maybe it's just meant to be good/average and nothing more. We can't expect a profound, Earth-shattering masterpiece every single time, can we?
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Like most of what you say it means nothing.
I absolutely agree.

Unfortunately not all of us have the amazing talent and musical pedigree that you have so are therefore incapable of having valid opinions.

Keep up the good work Steven and make sure you furnish us all with the correct opinions that we should all adopt once W2MN comes out.

Robert Gerard Hunt

Post by Robert Gerard Hunt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm

The most creative art direction since BP. Great images!

As for the music... Meh. Listenable but not memorable. And contrary to what some have indicated, I think VIM is the weakest track. For me, it's not much more than a monotonous hook.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:27 am

Si wrote:Whether we can do better or not is irrelevent. We aren`t the ones who set the bar so high with our past work.
And you don`t have to be a great cook to know whether the milk has gone off.
You don`t have to be an arcitect to know the building has collapsed.
That is a fair comment Si, but others such as WHW that call into question Alice as a lyricist or the musicians and producers on the album with such moronic adjectives as "crap" really can't be taken that seriously.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

I didn't say I can write better music than this Steven. I admit I can't play any musical instrument and I am absolutely awful singer. But I claim myself to be one of those people that are very interested in Alice Cooper lyrics, rock lyrics in general and also poetry. Because I also write my own stories and poems I am very emotionally attached to lyrics and concepts. And I don't even need any writing abilities to tell you that lyrics on ACAS are weak compared to lyrics on other Alice albums and that is MY OPINION.

You probably know a badly directed movie from a well made one even though you are not a movie director (unless you have a secret life as a brilliant movie director). Just like I recognize a great guitar solo from an average one even though I have zero musical talent. Otherwise those who are not good singers should not vote on Americal idol.

I write my poems in Finnish but I am currently planning to translate one of my poems into English. So I may even post it. I try to maintain the meaning of the poem but rhymes probably disappear. It is really hard to maintain both exact meaning and rhymes because my texts aren't so straightforward. If it doesn't work at all in English, I don't post it but you might as well see it on some forum topic. Even if you think it is the biggest piece of crap ever, it doesn't make my opinion any less valuable than yours. It is like Si said completely irrelevant.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:44 am

steven_crayn wrote:with such moronic adjectives as "crap" really can't be taken that seriously.
I haven't been given any indication that some of the people, especially the one you mention by name, should "not be taken seriously" on that merit. Defend Alice all you want, but don't go after others or their opinions please.
Me = Winning

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:14 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:with such moronic adjectives as "crap" really can't be taken that seriously.
I haven't been given any indication that some of the people, especially the one you mention by name, should "not be taken seriously" on that merit. Defend Alice all you want, but don't go after others or their opinions please.
maybe you should read this thread where the producer was basicially called crap. Defend your friend all you want but I will challenge someones opinion if I don't agree, it's called debate. ;)
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:I didn't say I can write better music than this Steven. I admit I can't play any musical instrument and I am absolutely awful singer. But I claim myself to be one of those people that are very interested in Alice Cooper lyrics, rock lyrics in general and also poetry. Because I also write my own stories and poems I am very emotionally attached to lyrics and concepts. And I don't even need any writing abilities to tell you that lyrics on ACAS are weak compared to lyrics on other Alice albums and that is MY OPINION.

You probably know a badly directed movie from a well made one even though you are not a movie director (unless you have a secret life as a brilliant movie director). Just like I recognize a great guitar solo from an average one even though I have zero musical talent. Otherwise those who are not good singers should not vote on Americal idol.

I write my poems in Finnish but I am currently planning to translate one of my poems into English. So I may even post it. I try to maintain the meaning of the poem but rhymes probably disappear. It is really hard to maintain both exact meaning and rhymes because my texts aren't so straightforward. If it doesn't work at all in English, I don't post it but you might as well see it on some forum topic. Even if you think it is the biggest piece of crap ever, it doesn't make my opinion any less valuable than yours. It is like Si said completely irrelevant.
It's like if Bob Dylan was to criticise an Alice lyric I would take it more seriously than your opinion. That is nothing personal, it's just some of the critics on here wouldn't know Iambic pentameter if it hit them in the face but yet feel qualified to start denegrating Alice Cooper as a lyric writer and there is a difference between poetry and lyrics as you should know.

Sure not his best album but the way some on here try to destroy it anyone would think it was the biggest piece of rubbish ever recorded, which it is not.

I was pleased that Alice himself rated it as he clearly believed in it which is the most important opinion.

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:25 pm

I agree. A lot of that album is so Alice. I mean come on the opening line in "The One That Got Away".
In many ways it is one of the most clever albums he has ever done.
Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Billie1966 wrote:I agree. A lot of that album is so Alice. I mean come on the opening line in "The One That Got Away".
In many ways it is one of the most clever albums he has ever done.
Danny~
Shame some can't see that

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:23 pm

steven_crayn wrote:he clearly believed in it which is the most important opinion.
The number of songs performed in the live show would seem to suggest otherwise.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:33 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:he clearly believed in it which is the most important opinion.
The number of songs performed in the live show would seem to suggest otherwise.
No it doesn't, the set list for shows is not just dependant on Alice's personal choice.

I remember Andy Michael saying on here that Alice told him personally something to the effect that Alice believed in the album.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Whether Alice thinks it is a great album or not , ithink he could easily put on 2 or 3 tracks on the setlist(of course there are 3 great tracks).But this setlist was made up as a "Best Of" setlist not in support of AcaS.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:57 pm

>I remember Andy Michael saying on here that Alice told him personally something to the effect that Alice believed in the album.

He did say that and I still think he's wrong!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:01 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I remember Andy Michael saying on here that Alice told him personally something to the effect that Alice believed in the album.

He did say that and I still think he's wrong!
But you were pleased to hear that answer I think you said even though you didn't like the album?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:03 pm

>But you were pleased to hear that answer I think you said even though you didn't like the album?

That's correct.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:19 pm

at the end of the day some hate the album some love it and some are inbetween.

My only issue is some of the level of criticism without reason such as

1- the production is "crap" (it isn't in the Bob Ezrin league for sure but that doesn't make it garbage)

2- the playing is not good enough (when Slash is not the only top performance on there, yeah it ain't Billion Dollar Babies but that doesn't make it rubbish).

3- The lyrics are poor (once againg it isn't Welcome To My Nightmare or Killer, but that doesn't make it of no merit)

You can argue about songs til the cows come home there were good ones on there maybe the album was rushed a bit in terms of song arrangements and hopefully people won't keep whining on about "when is Nightmare 2 coming out", as I think we can safely say Bob Ezrin will want everything perfect before that is finished in every sense of the word, which is why he is one of the best producers of all time.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:25 pm

The trouble is Steven, i have given reasons for why i believe the production, playing and lyrics to be 'crap' but you just don't want to hear them.

I respect the fact that you feel differently and i'm glad that you and others like it, but that doesn't make mine or anyone-elses opinion invalid.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Listen to Bon Jovi, do you want Alice to be like them? To me, every song sounds the same.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.