Alice's Gold and Platinum Album Recertifications? Any plans?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Alice's Gold and Platinum Album Recertifications? Any plans?

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:36 pm

I have posted about this in the past, but it is perhaps worth reposting. Alice has not had most of his albums recertified in a number of years. It is my understanding that record labels have to pay the RIAA for this. Perhaps Andy or someone else who knows can verify that.

With the original band finally being admitted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, the time would seem right to look into Alice's album sales. Considering the amount of time that has passed, many of the original bands albums are double or even triple platinum by now, as well as Alice solo albums such as WTMN, GTH should be platinum by now, and a few others as well. I believe Dick Wagner in an interview verified that. I recall many years ago Brian Nelson said The Alice Cooper Show was close to gold. I would also think Hey Stoopid is close to gold as well.

Are there any plans to look into this? I would say, with almost certainty, that at least Greatest Hits would be in order for recertification. Also, and I would assume that it does (but someone can correct me if I am wrong), when an album is reissued such as the early 80's albums, does it count in that album's official sales or does that count basically start over?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice's Gold and Platinum Album Recertifications? Any pl

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:24 pm

>Perhaps Andy or someone else who knows can verify that.

I don't know but feel free to ask it and let us know what the response is.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 pm

For what it's worth, this is Wagner's comment on it from 2004.

"Dick Wagner: Nightmare is nearly two million…Go to hell is over a million…Lace and whiskey is nearly a million…Poison is a million and a half…Da Da is 1,976 or thereabouts….Zipper catches skin is 198 and counting (LOL) and King of the silver screen is still awaiting shipment….From the inside is over a million also….I don't know about Trash or Constrictor "

He did say in a follow up conversation that his DaDa and ZCS figures were played down to joke around but the numbers were still very low for them none the less.

Obviously the numbers have gone up since then but it's hard telling how close "nearly two million" or "nearly a million" actually was at the time and how much has shipped since then. Especially with iTunes' explosion since that interview.
Me = Winning

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 pm

.I'm surprised there has not been more certifications as well.Mascara & Monsters i thought might be approaching the Gold status in the States.I highly doubt "Inside" And "Lace" are Platinum (1million units),when they have not been certified Gold (500,000) in the US.(but i could be wrong)

I'm wondering if the RIAA,will adjust their Gold/Platinum criteria when the CD sales have been winnowed down the last several years??
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:08 am

M&M may have sold well but I don't think it was anywhere in the neighborhood of gold when the last sales figures were released (but that's been a few years ago too.) Of course Wagner's figures could have been worldwide sales.
Me = Winning

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm

I would be surprised and this is all speculation of course if Lace and Whiskey was at a million. Actually the sales figures for Lace and Whiskey and From the Inside are sort of curious. Though they weren't huge hits as a whole, both albums did have successful singles off of them that did well on the charts. It would be interesting to see how that helped in terms of album sales.

This is just my opinion, but I would think some of the original band's stuff like School's Out, Billion Dollar Babies, etc would be at least double platinum now, and I wouldn't rule out even triple platinum in a few cases. Greatest Hits would as well. I also would think WTMN and GTH would be in line for recertification and if I recall correctly back in the early 90's, I had heard Trash was close to two million. I think there is an outside shot that Hey Stoopid would be at the gold level by now. I recall back when Love It To Death was about to be recertified, Brian Nelson said he had learned The Alice Cooper Show was close to gold (that one kind of surprised me)

LOL-I have always wondered with the numerous versions of Freak Out, ETC, if you combined those overall sales into one album, even though it is not actually an official part of Alice's catalog, what the combined sales for that are. If I am not mistaken, Alice doesn't make a dime off of those.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:51 pm

>I recall correctly back in the early 90's, I had heard Trash was close to two million.

I think it had equalled that, actually.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:30 pm

I was on Wikkipedia under Alice Cooper "discography" and saw that "Hey Stoopid" is GOLD in the US,is that correct?
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:20 pm

>I was on Wikkipedia under Alice Cooper "discography" and saw that "Hey Stoopid" is GOLD in the US,is that correct?

Ask the Recording Industry Association Of America and then give us the answer.