Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Re: Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Post by juancoop » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

thank you WickedYoungman for your reply...
yes, I agree with you.
It's clearly something Alice doenst prefer to talk about, and when I listened to the interview disc that part I lifted my eyebrows...
I dont remember Alice openly talking about drugs in the band before.
Of course Im not that naive... its something there is no need to tell, he is Alice Cooper!
He always commented about the excess and such things in the earlier years... but not directly naming the things by its name as in "In their own words" disc...
With alcohol always was different, he has no problems talking about it and could explain for hours how bad was for him...

LordOfAmourFantastiq
Killer
Killer

Post by LordOfAmourFantastiq » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:47 am

cherrypie wrote:
tommystooge wrote:has anyone gotten a golden ticket???
what's the prize? Meet & Greet?
wind_up_toy wrote:Finally, my set clearly had a fault as there was no Golden Ticket inside! I would love to see a picture of one if anyone was lucky enough to get one!
Well… I got one! xjumpingx

You can have a look at it (and my large smile :grin: ) at my site: http://musicandloaf.free.fr/index.php?p ... DEN-TICKET.
*cloud9*

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:13 am

Tres Bon, merci er.... mate :)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:15 am

LordOfAmourFantastiq wrote: Well… I got one! xjumpingx

You can have a look at it (and my large smile :grin: ) at my site: http://musicandloaf.free.fr/index.php?p ... DEN-TICKET.
*cloud9*
Wow, congratulations. Thanks for posting the pics.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:17 pm

LordOfAmourFantastiq wrote:Well… I got one! xjumpingx

*cloud9*
Wow, you're lucky! Congrats!
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:53 pm

LordOfAmourFantastiq wrote:
cherrypie wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:Finally, my set clearly had a fault as there was no Golden Ticket inside! I would love to see a picture of one if anyone was lucky enough to get one!

*cloud9*
That's effen awesome man!! Thanks for posting the pic, nice to see what the ticket looks like. What's the # of your box - I want to see how "close" the rest of us were to getting a ticket.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Treasures Two (61:37)

1. Akron Rubber Bowl Ad (Radio Ad)
2. School's Out (Mar Y Sol, Puerto Rico)
3. Kids Session (School's Out Kids Session)
4. Outtakes / Luney Tune (Pre-production)
5. Outtakes / My Stars (Pre- production)
6. School's Out (Demo)
7. Under My Wheels (Live at Madison Square Garden)
8. Teenage Lament '74 (Demo)
9. Never Been Sold Before (Demo)
10. Working Up a Sweat (Demo)
11. Muscle of Love (Pre-production)
12. Teenage Lament '74 (Pre-production)
13. Muscle of Love (Radio Ad)
14. Good To See You Alice Cooper (Radio Ad)
15. Muscle of Love (Rio)
16. Greatest Hits (Radio Ad)

School’s Out (Puerto Rico)

Nice jam, thoroughly enjoyable and previously not in circulation!

Kids Session

Kind of cute, sort of interesting but goes on too long and not something I will listen to repeatedly

Luney Tune (pre-production)

Love hearing the studio chatter, and of course to hear alternate lyrics and the laid back feel to this great tune is the kind of stuff I was hoping would be included in this set. As well this is a different take than previously circulating versions – oh and the nr used here is not offensive like stuff on the Treasures One Disc

My Stars (pre-production)

Another great selection. I like the inclusion of Alice shooting down Ezrin’s idea for the coda of My Stars. Dig out your School’s Out demos, listen to the MS ending on that version and that may be what they are talking about. Glad they also decide to ditch that spacey effect on the drums.

School’s Out demo

Unlike much of the other songs on these preproduction recordings SO is very close in lyrics and arrangement to the final album version. It’s the previously circulating version but with a step up in SQ. Sounds like a different session than LT and MS, the high end is not as crisp here and the nr is more noticeable than on the previous two tracks.

Under My Wheels (Live MSG)

A good rockin’ version and I’m never opposed to hearing previously uncirculated ACG. Not essential but definitely enjoyable.

Teenage Lament/Never Been Sold Before/Workin’ Up a Sweat

Same as previously circulating versions but with a step up in SQ. The MoL songs are a good study in how the tunes got much better with more work. I was never a big fan of those background vocals on TL ’74 but after hearing this early version, the song needed something at the end and having this version to compare, I find the album version is much more preferable. Never Been Sold Before is quite a bit different from the album version and it’s interesting to hear this alternate, but again, the final version is far superior imo. Mashbir shines on WUAS and its’ inclusion into this set was a good choice.

Muscle of Love/Teenage Lament ’74 (pre-production)

Previously uncirculated recordings (always a plus), sound quality dips a bit here but I’ll live with it. Is that MB doing the vocal on TL? Good inclusion despite the SQ.

Muscle of Love (Live in Rio)

Definitely a historical treat as nothing from this tour has officially been released and what little unofficially circulates are rather poor audience recordings. Taken from either the last or second to last show of the original band. It doesn’t say in the track list and I haven’t poured over the linear notes or book to see if the date is confirmed. It’s a board tape, good quality but not the greatest mix which suggests it’s cassette sourced as opposed to multi track. Whets the appetite for some more from this ill-fated tour.

Conclusion.

Decent SQ overall, with a couple of real historical essentials included. At least this disc contains a little over 40 minutes of uncirculated material, unlike Treasures One.

Sins of Omission

Live version of Big Apple Dreamin’ and Hard Hearted Alice. A decent board tape of the MoL tour clearly exists and with the disc clocking in at 61 minutes there was ample room, makes this another disappointing decision (made higher up the chain I’m sure).
Last edited by Toronto Bob on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 pm

LordOfAmourFantastiq wrote:
cherrypie wrote:

*cloud9*
Amazing - congrats!! Nice to see what they look like, just in case I find one lying in the gutter..
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

>Is that MB doing the vocal on TL?

I'm pretty sure that's Neal Smith singing on that.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:33 pm

tres bon! Glad to see someone here got one.

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:20 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:
"I'm pretty sure that's Neal Smith singing on that."

That´s correct.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:57 am

Toronto Bob wrote:Treasures Two (61:37)

1. Akron Rubber Bowl Ad (Radio Ad)
2. School's Out (Mar Y Sol, Puerto Rico)
3. Kids Session (School's Out Kids Session)
4. Outtakes / Luney Tune (Pre-production)
5. Outtakes / My Stars (Pre- production)
6. School's Out (Demo)
7. Under My Wheels (Live at Madison Square Garden)
8. Teenage Lament '74 (Demo)
9. Never Been Sold Before (Demo)
10. Working Up a Sweat (Demo)
11. Muscle of Love (Pre-production)
12. Teenage Lament '74 (Pre-production)
13. Muscle of Love (Radio Ad)
14. Good To See You Alice Cooper (Radio Ad)
15. Muscle of Love (Rio)
16. Greatest Hits (Radio Ad)

School’s Out (Puerto Rico)

Nice jam, thoroughly enjoyable and previously not in circulation!

Kids Session

Kind of cute, sort of interesting but goes on too long and not something I will listen to repeatedly

Luney Tune (pre-production)

Love hearing the studio chatter, and of course to hear alternate lyrics and the laid back feel to this great tune is the kind of stuff I was hoping would be included in this set. As well this is a different take than previously circulating versions – oh and the nr used here is not offensive like stuff on the Treasures One Disc

My Stars (pre-production)

Another great selection. I like the inclusion of Alice shooting down Ezrin’s idea for the coda of My Stars. Dig out your School’s Out demos, listen to the MS ending on that version and that may be what they are talking about. Glad they also decide to ditch that spacey effect on the drums.

School’s Out demo

Unlike much of the other songs on these preproduction recordings SO is very close in lyrics and arrangement to the final album version. It’s the previously circulating version but with a step up in SQ. Sounds like a different session than LT and MS, the high end is not as crisp here and the nr is more noticeable than on the previous two tracks.

Under My Wheels (Live MSG)

A good rockin’ version and I’m never opposed to hearing previously uncirculated ACG. Not essential but definitely enjoyable.

Teenage Lament/Never Been Sold Before/Workin’ Up a Sweat

Same as previously circulating versions but with a step up in SQ. The MoL songs are a good study in how the tunes got much better with more work. I was never a big fan of those background vocals on TL ’74 but after hearing this early version, the song needed something at the end and having this version to compare, I find the album version is much more preferable. Never Been Sold Before is quite a bit different from the album version and it’s interesting to hear this alternate, but again, the final version is far superior imo. Mashbir shines on WUAS and its’ inclusion into this set was a good choice.

Muscle of Love/Teenage Lament ’74 (pre-production)

Previously uncirculated recordings (always a plus), sound quality dips a bit here but I’ll live with it. Is that MB doing the vocal on TL? Good inclusion despite the SQ.

Muscle of Love (Live in Rio)

Definitely a historical treat as nothing from this tour has officially been released and what little unofficially circulates are rather poor audience recordings. Taken from either the last or second to last show of the original band. It doesn’t say in the track list and I haven’t poured over the linear notes or book to see if the date is confirmed. It’s a board tape, good quality but not the greatest mix which suggests it’s cassette sourced as opposed to multi track. Whets the appetite for some more from this ill-fated tour.

Conclusion.

Decent SQ overall, with a couple of real historical essentials included. At least this disc contains a little over 40 minutes of uncirculated material, unlike Treasures One.

Sins of Omission

Live version of Big Apple Dreamin’ and Hard Hearted Alice. A decent board tape of the MoL tour clearly exists and with the disc clocking in at 61 minutes there was ample room, makes this another disappointing decision (made higher up the chain I’m sure).

Good review , thanks.

Chickin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Chickin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:14 pm

The boxset is great! I can't pass it without opening it. The dvd was in the beginning a little dissapointing. Because they followed the yearbook too much (or the other way around). I read the yearbook first, and then I watched the footage on the dvd. But it gets more interesting later on, luckily! The moment where Neal Smith is talking about Glen Buxton is very emotional.

I think the track where I looked forward to the most, is the children's voices on School's Out. I always wondered how they record such things and it was very nice to hear how it actually is done. I have some troubles playing the first cd though. It blocks on track 8 and another one too (don't know it exactly, I'll check it again). But those are minor problems, if I skip a little piece of the track it plays right on.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone involved in this box. The artwork is amazing, and the contents even more.
For picking up corn and eating worms casually... All Chickins can go to hell

desertdan
Trash
Trash

Post by desertdan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Met Alice today in Phoenix at the "Arizona Midday" Show on NBC and he signed two Old School Box Sets for me. Always an awesome experience, he is fantastic!

Steven Allan
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Allan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Cool! I haven't picked up this set yet but are there any differences in releases or are they identical?

Are the golden tickets worldwide or only in the US sets. That is the golden tickets that Trash hasn't got his hands on yet, well done you :)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:25 am

>I haven't picked up this set yet but are there any differences in releases

No.

>Are the golden tickets worldwide

Yes.

Lisacooper91
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Lisacooper91 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

Mine arrived yesterday! #0846
Unfortunately no golden ticket, but wasn't really hoping for that... (wasn't even aware of that until a friend of mine told me! I really need glasses, lol...)

Watched the DVD yesterday, so many fun stories! The only thing that bothered me is how the interview with Alice and Bob was filmed... Why does the guy keep zooming in and move the camera (with lots of noise)
The sanest days are mad.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 am

Because he's an idiot?
This has been mentioned a few times before, probably in this very thread.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:25 pm

The review on Hellbound.ca (as mentioned on the newspage) is almost 100% my thoughts on this great boxset.

Some more old and rare clips was what I prayed for.

Maybe in the future??

:rock:

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:44 am

Was going to hold off on buying this for a while due to cost, but saw it sitting at a store here in Australia a few days ago in front of my eyes and couldn't resist.

Well done to everyone involved in the production of this. I hope its considered a success and I really hope theres a similar set for Alice's solo career.