Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Re: Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Post by Street Schizo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 pm

GNDM wrote:So, some of you are still convinced that there is one simple answer in that discussion?
::((:
It's almost like JFK's assassination. Will we ever know the real truth? :laugh:

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Street Schizo wrote:
GNDM wrote:So, some of you are still convinced that there is one simple answer in that discussion?
::((:
It's almost like JFK's assassination. Will we ever know the real truth? :laugh:

No. :p
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:23 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
"It is unfortunate that the subject of the band split was covered at a later stage by Bob and Alice. It would have been nice to see the whole band cover this issue under one roof and put the various rumours to bed once and for all."

I think that most ACG fans would agree that it was unfortunate that the whole band didn´t address this issue on the DVD & CD.
As GNDM has pointed out, there is no simple answer to the break-up and not everyone in the band agrees on what caused it to happen.
I think however that all members agree with Glen Buxton who explained in a 1996 interview that they had worked so hard for years, touring and recording, that they badly needed a break to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Unfortunately they never got back together again.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:09 pm

DIMMA wrote: I think however that all members agree with Glen Buxton who explained in a 1996 interview that they had worked so hard for years, touring and recording, that they badly needed a break to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Unfortunately they never got back together again.
I thnk that is the underlying thing behind a lolt of hat happened. Sure, there were other reasons as well, but many of these 'other reasons' became an issue BECAUSE they were so tired and burnt out and events followed the trail they did because of this also. If they had had more time off during the early years maybe things would have turned out very differently, but we'll never know.

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 pm

>>I think they would have added some more stuff in it, maybe more video...

>There is more than two hours of it already!

I know I know.... you can never satisfy everybody....

>>a poster would be niiiice.... not a big complaint,

>You have five different small 'posters' instead.

You're right. Didnt think that way.

>>- The Jagermeister download territory restriction... ridiculous. The same for the elected video clip. Just dont get it.

>There's always a reason, even if you don't know what it is.

As always... but Andy, dont you think is some kind strange to limit the access of such a material? Lots of sickies excluded!

>Im buying another one just to keep it sealed.

That's amazing! Thanks.

:alice:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:56 pm

>As always... but Andy, dont you think is some kind strange to limit the access of such a material? Lots of sickies excluded!

It is unfortunate.

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Si wrote: "I thnk that is the underlying thing behind a lolt of hat happened. Sure, there were other reasons as well, but many of these 'other reasons' became an issue BECAUSE they were so tired and burnt out and events followed the trail they did because of this also."

I agree.

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 am

Does anyone know how the ACG marked their signatures in the "wood" of the desk?
I know there isnt an actual school desk for this one, so maybe it was just written with a marker or something different.
Also is alice writing with his left hand to write his part like the killer album cover?
Maybe Ernie would answer this....

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:38 am

That was apparently Dennis who wrote the lettering on the cover of "Killer" with his left hand.
Me = Winning

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 am

So much stuff to work though. Watched the Video and all the Audio. Now on to the books and such..

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>was wondering why he was there,

Well now I'm disappointed in you, because you had implied you were something of expert on Alice Cooper and now you've gone and let me down which is a shame. You should know why he may have been present and if you don't, you could have read the interview at http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/interview ... may_07.php which would have answered your question.
Ok, the expert is bouncing back...I asked Mick why he was in Paris and here is his answer:

Hey Tom,
Wow! Footage of me in Paris..who knew? Yes I was there hanging out with the band because we were recording B$B in London.
KTVA,
Mick
Remember The Coop !!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:36 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:Charlie's Camera Work = Not Winning.

Nice, now that's funny
Remember The Coop !!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 am

>Yes I was there hanging out with the band because we were recording B$B in London.

Exactly and all that information is already included in the link I provided you with (or you could have made contact with him before coming here and asking the question).

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Took me a while to actually take delivery of this tasty little sucker but I want to weigh in on the set. My reviews will focus on the musical content as opposed to going into any detail of the nice package. Suffice to say it's a beauty and the desk is a unique item (I really could of done without the sticker slpped on the top, covering, where I assume Alice and Dennis's siggy's are.)

But on to the stuff that matters...

Treasures One (70:05)

1. No Price Tag (Spiders)
Sounds vinyl sourced, no real sonic upgrade to what circulates, but was not included on TLACOAC and is an essential inclusion for this set

2. Nobody Likes Me (Demo)
Another essential inclusion even though we have the flexi-disc version on the previous box set. SQ is a nice upgrade from the circulating recordings, the noise reduction used thankfully, isn't too severe. This was a staple in the early live sets and I always thought this was the tune that declared the "Alice as the outsider" attitude.

3. On a Train Trip (Sing Low Sweet Cheerio) (Demo)
More high end clarity on this track than previously circulating recordings, but the nr is a bit more noticeable. Good selection.

4. Reflected (Demo)
I'm not entirely convinced that this is a different performance than the album version. It doesn't have the drum intro and there is an edit around the 0:12 mark, the stereo separation is wider on the album and the album version has more definition but it really sounds like the same performance to me.

5. Easy Action Version Two (Radio ad)
I like these little ads sprinkled throughout the set, gives us a historical glimpse at how they tried to market the band

6. Mr and Misdemeanor (Chicago Underground)
7. Fields of Regret (Chicago Underground)
8. I'm Eighteen (Chicago Underground)
When I finally saw the track list to the Old School set, I was most pleased with the inclusion of these songs from this tour. Absolutely essential for the AC history, the FoR arrangement, the early version of 18 and finally an EA track done live! My disappointment is that the nr used is very noticeable and while the recordings that circulate do have some hiss, it really didn't need this kind of processing. I wish they had another EA show to use, as this date circulates and an alternative date would have been a real treat.

9. Love It To Death (Radio ad)

10. I'm Eighteen (Pre-production)
Another great inclusion but another victim of heavy use of nr, in fact this comment holds true for tracks 11, 12, 13 and 14. I'm glad I have the previously circulating versions, as I prefer not having to hear that background "swirl" and metallic tinge of heavy nr.

11. Be My Lover (Demo)
12. Killer (Demo)
13. Halo of Flies (Demo)
14. Tornado Warning (Desperado) (Demo)

15. Killer (Radio Ad)

16. Is It My Body (Live in Seattle, 1971)
Absolutely baffling the treatment of this track, first off the dreaded nr is here as well, secondly the stereo separation is actually much better on the Snake, Rattle & Roll boot and lastly, why the fade out to exclude the "My Very Own" section? The cd clocks in at 70 minutes - plenty of room on the disc

Conclusion:
Treasures is the right name for the disc IF you haven't been doing much collecting/trading/sharing of ACG material. To the fan who has immersed themselves in the hobby, it's cool but there's virtually nothing here that hasn't been available before and the sonic improvements contained here are not leaps and bounds ahead of what we already have.

Sins of Omission:
Live version of Return of the Spiders

That’s my review of disc one, disc two to follow later

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 pm

thanks for this review amigo !

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 pm

>I really could of done without the sticker slpped on the top, covering,

There was no way around that, as previously stated (in this thread, I think). However, if you're careful, you should be able to remove it.

As to your other comments, those were all decisions made 'higher up the chain', also as previously stated.

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:51 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I really could of done without the sticker slpped on the top, covering,

There was no way around that, as previously stated (in this thread, I think). However, if you're careful, you should be able to remove it.
Yes, it can be easily removed without ruining the actual cover.
The sticker itself is very nice IMH, I removed it and pasted it on a sheet of paper so I can keep it as well ;)
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

playingwithtrains
Trash
Trash

Post by playingwithtrains » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:11 pm

yes, the cover sticker was easily (but carefully) removed.

stuck the sticker on one of those clear plastic 45 sleeves and then put the 7" in the sleeve.

still digesting all of the box, but I am quite happy with it! Much gratitude from me also to everyone involved in the project.

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 am

I was surprised to see Alice admit the "acid" on Dennis... he always talked about alcohol abuse...
is this the first time he admits that there were drugs in the band?

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:59 am

juancoop wrote:I was surprised to see Alice admit the "acid" on Dennis... he always talked about alcohol abuse...
is this the first time he admits that there were drugs in the band?
I don't think it's something he volunteers info about, but I don't believe he's ever denied it either, with comments such as (verbatim) "You couldn't live be in the LA band scene and *not* experiment in those days."

Honestly, it was something they all experimented with at one time or another (and we do know was an issue with one or two band members, one of them being arrested for possession at one time,) but alcohol was their big thing and I don't think Alice wants any drug use/experimentation to be blown out of proportion as would possibly happen as there are probably much more interesting things he'd rather talk about in interviews, etc. At least that's my perception anyway.
Me = Winning